IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07' - 09' Lexus IS/ES vs G35 vs TSX. Need help before buying a used car :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 12:30 PM
trinious25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07' - 09' Lexus IS/ES vs G35 vs TSX. Need help before buying a used car :D

I live in California and I'm gonna need to buy a car this summer.

These are the cars that I have my eyes on. (ranked from I like most to least)

1. '07, '08 Lexus IS250
2. '07, '08 Infiniti G35 Sedan
3. '07, '08 Lexus ES 350
4. '09 Acura TSX
5. '10, '11 Accord
6. Civic Si

My needs:

-Price Range : 13k-16k (maybe 17k if the car is nice)

-Maximum Mileage : 50-70k ? I don't know how reliable these cars are. But I heard the lexus are the most reliable ones. My friend bought a 130k miles is 250 and he said he hasn't had a problem since. So I think 80-90k for Lexus and Infiniti is alright too ?

-Features: Nav, Bluetooth, Keyless Entry (I really like this), Back Up Camera.

-Insurance: I live in Orange County, Cali. 20 yrs old, will be 21 soon and has had my License for 2 yrs. So I hope my insurance will be at most $150/month. That's the reason why I prefer the G35 Sedan so the Insurance would be cheaper. If there's any OC fellows please tell me your insurance cost for 6 months.

-Save Gas

I'm not really into modding cars and the horse power stuff aren't my thing because i live in Orange County, Cali so I cannot go really fast since there's always a traffic light every quarter of a mile. And I'm also having a 2000 Camry that's why anything above is good for me..

Please give me your thoughts about my consideration. Thank you fellows.
Old 01-28-14, 01:23 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Would go is250. Better interior than g35 then tsx if I can't get is250 then accord
Old 01-28-14, 02:07 PM
senorsquid
Rookie

It will be harder to find an IS with what you want at that price but you get what you pay for, a stock IS has much more options than and accord. All are good choices I would say infinity would be my last choice since reliability wont be as good.
Old 01-28-14, 03:06 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Go test drive all of them from your list down. Choose the one you like the most.
Old 01-28-14, 08:42 PM
trinious25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by senorsquid
It will be harder to find an IS with what you want at that price but you get what you pay for, a stock IS has much more options than and accord. All are good choices I would say infinity would be my last choice since reliability wont be as good.
There are some IS250 70k-80k @ $15-16k price range. Do you think Lexus are still good at that mileage ? I would prefer the lexus one because of its interior and exterior .
Old 01-28-14, 08:54 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. I would rule out the is250 because its probably the least reliable of the bunch. The IS350 has a much more reliable engine. Lexus as a whole is very reliable brand but certain models are underpar

2. I would rank this as probably your first or second choice base upon your criteria. You can also get some crazy deals on them

3. This is a solid engine but is quite boring IMO. It'll be very similar to your Camry just more upscale.

4. Unless your getting the tech package, this car is very behind in its amenities. Also the engine is reliable but unrefined (pretty rough and loud).

5. Nothing wrong with this car. I would put it up there with the g35 as your first or second choice.

6. At your age, insurance will kill you on this.
Old 01-28-14, 09:13 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Does the vehicle have to be a 4-dr? If not, I really do like the blue Accords; comes with just about everything you might want plus a nice 5sp trans is available.

Old 01-28-14, 09:23 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
1. I would rule out the is250 because its probably the least reliable of the bunch. The IS350 has a much more reliable engine. Lexus as a whole is very reliable brand but certain models are underpar

2. I would rank this as probably your first or second choice base upon your criteria. You can also get some crazy deals on them

3. This is a solid engine but is quite boring IMO. It'll be very similar to your Camry just more upscale.

4. Unless your getting the tech package, this car is very behind in its amenities. Also the engine is reliable but unrefined (pretty rough and loud).

5. Nothing wrong with this car. I would put it up there with the g35 as your first or second choice.

ill 2nd basically this entire post
Old 01-28-14, 09:51 PM
trinious25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edgeucated

Thank you for your info. My cousin said insurance changes by the length of time since the first time I get my license but my friend said it'll be cheaper when I turn 21, I don't know which one is true. I'm really thankful for ur #6 info. Because insurance is pretty important to me.

My sister and parents prefer the '08 G35 too. but at what mileage is acceptable to buy ? and is the insurance gonna be cheaper than the Lexus ? Because currently it's 1k-2k cheaper than the IS that's why it's my 2nd choice.
Old 01-28-14, 09:52 PM
trinious25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Does the vehicle have to be a 4-dr? If not, I really do like the blue Accords; comes with just about everything you might want plus a nice 5sp trans is available.

noiceeeeee car. which year is that accord ? and is the insurance gonna be a lot for me because it's a coupe
Old 01-28-14, 11:06 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trinious25
noiceeeeee car. which year is that accord ? and is the insurance gonna be a lot for me because it's a coupe
8th Generation Accord coupe. 2008 - 2012. From experience, you might actually get a better deal with coupes due to the probability of having less passengers in your vehicle. The insurance rate will increase with engine size (I4 vs V6), and the color (theft) - that blue will need to be looked into by a licensed agent.
Old 01-29-14, 01:38 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

I have both a 09 TSX and IS250. The TSX was my first car but the IS250 is ahead in materials + fit and finish... although the TSX had a firmer, maybe even better steering (I was like wtf because it's FWD and the IS is RWD.

I like the indicator stalks on the TSX too...when I first used the stalks in the IS250 it reminded me of the Camry we had previously had.

The TSX is $40k in Australia (marketed Accord Euro) while the IS250 is 80k.
Old 01-29-14, 04:54 AM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

Just out of curiosity, why not look at the IS350? I've seen them in your price range just not through dealers.
Old 01-29-14, 11:21 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd pick the IS250. Has everything you wanted listed. I agree that it has a nicer interior than the G35(feels cheap and dull). If not, I'd pick up the TSX.
Old 01-29-14, 11:27 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would agree with the post above that the IS is probably the least reliable of the bunch. Its not that its not reliable but your pretty much comparing against honda which is notorious for being the most inexpensive engines to maintain that last the longest. I am also confused on why you have an ES350 in there among other sport sedans. I would expect a GS before an ES.

Honestly, if your looking for price and affordability, I would go with the Honda Accord. Peferably a coupe since the sedan doesn't look as good as the coupe. Two completely different front ends. Insurance for the coupe is actually cheaper than the IS (at least for me. Older, few tickets, no accidents). I was looking into both when I was looking at cars.

If your looking for styling and available tech, It would be a tossup between the IS250 and the TSX. Its annoying with the TSX to find a good leather interior when its pretty much standard on MOST IS sedans. But the TSX nav and tech packages are IMO much better than lexus. Both cars look pretty nice on the outside

If your looking for Power, G35 hands down. The accord V6 is pretty fast too with 280 HP but probably not as fun. I don't like the look of the g35 tho

If i had to rank them for me since i take everything into account, it would be
1. Accord Coupe
2. IS250 (tie)
2. TSX (tie)
4. G35
5. Civic.
6. Accord Sedan
7. Es350

Last edited by NYKnick101; 01-29-14 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 07' - 09' Lexus IS/ES vs G35 vs TSX. Need help before buying a used car :D