Print Wikipost

Check Engine light with Vsc and trc control light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 10:57 AM
awzdusty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light with Vsc and trc control light on

Hi I have a 06 is350 and need help with this problem...
In the past, the check engine light/ check vsc light/ traction control light is on... I didn't do anything and waited 2 or 3 days and it went away. Hasn't come back for months.

It's back now and I was wondering... Could it be that I need to clean my MAF sensor?
I'm running a K&N air intake.
Also my RPM does some weird movement especially when I brake my rpm will go down then suddenly it will jump back up and then settle back down. It SEEMS like my car adds a little bit of gas when I brake sometimes. I'm not too sure
If i need to clean it... do I use the CRC maf cleaner? I heard it was not to be used on "some" lexus cars.
Any input on how to fix this problem? thanks alot
Old 01-23-14, 11:27 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bro I just had the same problem last night, and solved it I have a friend with an OBDII tester and the code was P0174 which is running too lean, and I remembered the night prior I had just installed a JoeZ and the vacuum hose from the engine to the tube wouldn't fit tightly and it came off and that gave me the code so reclamped it with a much better tighter clamp and cleared the codes and done and fixed... Run a tester at any autozone and see what codes it throws and go from there it could be the MAF or just a leak from that vacuum hose
Old 01-23-14, 11:32 AM
awzdusty
Rookie

Originally Posted by dannyboy26
Bro I just had the same problem last night, and solved it I have a friend with an OBDII tester and the code was P0174 which is running too lean, and I remembered the night prior I had just installed a JoeZ and the vacuum hose from the engine to the tube wouldn't fit tightly and it came off and that gave me the code so reclamped it with a much better tighter clamp and cleared the codes and done and fixed... Run a tester at any autozone and see what codes it throws and go from there it could be the MAF or just a leak from that vacuum hose
Thanks man I'll get it tested for codes today or tomorrow and post the codes up here since I dont know what each code means! thanks though
Old 01-23-14, 12:04 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

About the rpm thing...it is probably the transmission down-shifting, thus making the rpms "jump" under breaking (usually on a decline).
Old 01-23-14, 12:49 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by awzdusty
Hi I have a 06 is350 and need help with this problem...
In the past, the check engine light/ check vsc light/ traction control light is on... I didn't do anything and waited 2 or 3 days and it went away. Hasn't come back for months.

It's back now and I was wondering... Could it be that I need to clean my MAF sensor?
I'm running a K&N air intake.
Also my RPM does some weird movement especially when I brake my rpm will go down then suddenly it will jump back up and then settle back down. It SEEMS like my car adds a little bit of gas when I brake sometimes. I'm not too sure
If i need to clean it... do I use the CRC maf cleaner? I heard it was not to be used on "some" lexus cars.
Any input on how to fix this problem? thanks alot
Scan the code first so you know what you're dealing with..
Old 01-24-14, 02:43 PM
awzdusty
Rookie

Well I went to autozone and they told me state of California prohibits them from testing ... They said they Haven't done it 5 years :/ I call an Autoshop
Old 01-24-14, 03:29 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy a $50 one from Autozone. It'll come in handy when you least expect it!
Old 01-24-14, 03:46 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
Just buy a $50 one from Autozone. It'll come in handy when you least expect it!
Better yet, buy an ODBII bluetooth module (EML327) from Amazon and use Torque app with your iPhone/androids to scan. Both of these for less than $30.
Old 01-24-14, 03:48 PM
awzdusty
Rookie

Code was P0456 something about a evap..... Pepboys said it might be gas cap but I told them it has been on for 2 days. So they ruled that possibility out
Old 01-24-14, 03:50 PM
awzdusty
Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Better yet, buy an ODBII bluetooth module from Amazon and use Torque app with your iPhone/androids to scan. Both of these for less than $30.
Oh wow okay ill order that for sure !
Old 01-24-14, 03:55 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

How many miles on the ODO? Maybe you have a clogged evaporator charcoal canister or faulty Vapor canister purge valve?
Old 01-24-14, 04:10 PM
awzdusty
Rookie

How many miles on the ODO? Maybe you have a clogged evaporator charcoal canister or faulty Vapor canister purge valve?
I Have 120,783. Oh snap so id have to take it to a shop to get it checked out? When i refill gas i sometimes over fill by like few clicks...
Old 01-24-14, 04:19 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by awzdusty
I Have 120,783. Oh snap so id have to take it to a shop to get it checked out? When i refill gas i sometimes over fill by like few clicks...
Google "Lexus Evaporator and P0456" and read up on it. Yes, most likely you will have to bring to the shop for it unless you are handy and a good diy. The parts will cost you around $200 so I would just change them if I was you (of course I do fix most of stuffs on my cars).
Most likely a clogged evaporator charcoal canister, especially with that many miles. Never a good practice to top off the when file up (the excess gas will run into the evap loop).
Good luck and let us know once you got it fixed.
Old 01-24-14, 07:43 PM
awzdusty
Rookie

Google "Lexus Evaporator and P0456" and read up on it. Yes, most likely you will have to bring to the shop for it unless you are handy and a good diy. The parts will cost you around $200 so I would just change them if I was you (of course I do fix most of stuffs on my cars).
Most likely a clogged evaporator charcoal canister, especially with that many miles. Never a good practice to top off the when file up (the excess gas will run into the evap loop).
Good luck and let us know once you got it fixed.
Oh wow alright thanks so much for all that information. You helped me alot! and I probably will take to shop since i never done this kind of work before. I will keep you guys updated on what happens! thanks again
Old 01-25-14, 10:28 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

honestly, just replace the gas cap and when you put the new one on make sure its properly secure. have the code reset afterwards. OEM gas caps don't cost more than 30 dollars probably.

Quick Reply: Check Engine light with Vsc and trc control light on