IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: How To Replace the Water Pump on the IS250

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 10:10 AM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Thanks for DIY. How do you bleed air from the system?
Fill the water inlet and reservoir with coolant. Start the car with radiator cap off. Turn on the heater to max temp. You will start to see air bubbles bleed out of the water inlet and the coolant level dropping. Add more coolant as needed until the car reaches normal temp. Close cap and you're done.
Old 01-16-14, 12:42 PM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL you have to be kidding me…I just changed my water pump 2 days ago, I wish I had this DIY…it took me a long time to do.

I changed spark plugs/ pulleys/ belt/ hoses/ seals/ cleaned the throttle body and all engine bay/ replaced fluids/ removed sway bars to install the F_Sports soon, but they sent me the wrong ones (AWD)
My water pump wasn’t leaking and it actually looks and feels fine, I just wanted to do everything now before I have any issues.

Few tips:
-Keep all screws/ bolts together and label them, not only where they go but also the exact position as there are a few screws that are different sizes, but look similar. This was really helpful for me since it took me 4 days to put everything back together. (I was working a few hours a day) if you do it all in one day most likely you will remember.
-Remember the order you took everything apart, and double check all the hoses/ clamps/ connectors and count and torque all bolts.
-Also remember the belt route, I found a great diagram at Sewell, make sure you double check it.
I think that I can do this again really quickly now.

Question: I drained the coolant from the radiator and disconnected the hoses and took out the water pump, a lot of coolant came out. When refilling I just got one gallon but the car took the whole thing, I went back to the dealer and got another gallon and I put about ½ gallon in it. I think that I need to put more as the coolant level is low, I measured what I took out and it was a bit more than a gallon (definitely not 2). How much coolant did you guys had to pour back in?

Great DIY!
Old 01-16-14, 01:20 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Thanks for DIY. How do you bleed air from the system?

Some of the older cars have bleeder valves but this method works for most cars. While the car is still cold, start your car with the radiator cap open and a funnel and watch the bubbles pop out. Sometimes you have to rev it up a but to get into the really trapped air pockets
Old 01-16-14, 08:55 PM
jmarte10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow great DIY. I have an 07 IS250 with 96k miles myself. Definitely will use this when I change mine.
Old 01-17-14, 08:42 AM
Serifiyah
Driver

Originally Posted by An2ny
LOL you have to be kidding me…I just changed my water pump 2 days ago, I wish I had this DIY…it took me a long time to do.

I changed spark plugs/ pulleys/ belt/ hoses/ seals/ cleaned the throttle body and all engine bay/ replaced fluids/ removed sway bars to install the F_Sports soon, but they sent me the wrong ones (AWD)
My water pump wasn’t leaking and it actually looks and feels fine, I just wanted to do everything now before I have any issues.

Few tips:
-Keep all screws/ bolts together and label them, not only where they go but also the exact position as there are a few screws that are different sizes, but look similar. This was really helpful for me since it took me 4 days to put everything back together. (I was working a few hours a day) if you do it all in one day most likely you will remember.
-Remember the order you took everything apart, and double check all the hoses/ clamps/ connectors and count and torque all bolts.
-Also remember the belt route, I found a great diagram at Sewell, make sure you double check it.
I think that I can do this again really quickly now.

Question: I drained the coolant from the radiator and disconnected the hoses and took out the water pump, a lot of coolant came out. When refilling I just got one gallon but the car took the whole thing, I went back to the dealer and got another gallon and I put about ½ gallon in it. I think that I need to put more as the coolant level is low, I measured what I took out and it was a bit more than a gallon (definitely not 2). How much coolant did you guys had to pour back in?

Great DIY!
Yea same here, I had to use about 1.5 gallons.
Old 01-22-14, 03:01 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Serifiyah
Fill the water inlet and reservoir with coolant. Start the car with radiator cap off. Turn on the heater to max temp. You will start to see air bubbles bleed out of the water inlet and the coolant level dropping. Add more coolant as needed until the car reaches normal temp. Close cap and you're done.

Cool..I've done that before with my Tercel, but didn't know if this car was any different.
Old 01-23-14, 10:29 AM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the great write up! It is people like you that make these forums accel!

When doing the bleed procedure can I still leave the A/C on, even with heater set to max temp(high) and fan on high?

The reason I ask is i cant turn off the A/C since my navigation screen is broke(the button is a touchscreen button for the is350/w nav) and I havent got around to doing the DIY fix for it yet?

Someone please respond! thanks!
Old 01-23-14, 06:07 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the same procedure as for an IS350?
Old 01-23-14, 06:10 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Thank You, Bookmarked for the future!
Old 01-24-14, 12:03 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

For bleeding, I recently tried the method that everyone pretty much suggests here with the pressure cap removed start the car method and let the bubbles come out the top. It was a complete disaster, as soon as car is started the coolant is gushed and forced out and makes a huge mess. So never understood how this can be achieved
Old 01-24-14, 12:57 AM
Serifiyah
Driver

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Is this the same procedure as for an IS350?
I think it should be the same process.

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
For bleeding, I recently tried the method that everyone pretty much suggests here with the pressure cap removed start the car method and let the bubbles come out the top. It was a complete disaster, as soon as car is started the coolant is gushed and forced out and makes a huge mess. So never understood how this can be achieved
Not a single drop gushed out when I started the car when cold. Does it gush out slowly or does it shoot out with a lot of force?

Last edited by Serifiyah; 01-24-14 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-24-14, 02:33 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Not a single drop gushed out when I started the car when cold. Does it gush out slowly or does it shoot out with a lot of force?
If i remember correctly, it was with a bit of force as I attempted it the second time while getting someone else to start the car and i monitored and kept a rag and the pressure cover handy, and it started gushing out and attempting to put the cover back on while it was gushing was messy.
Old 01-24-14, 08:51 AM
Serifiyah
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
If i remember correctly, it was with a bit of force as I attempted it the second time while getting someone else to start the car and i monitored and kept a rag and the pressure cover handy, and it started gushing out and attempting to put the cover back on while it was gushing was messy.
Coolant should not gush out on a cold start. If it does, its usually a sign of a bad head gasket.
Old 01-24-14, 09:22 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

This is awesome.
Old 01-24-14, 12:12 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Coolant should not gush out on a cold start. If it does, its usually a sign of a bad head gasket.
Really? that's worrying. i did this almost a year ago and driven over 10k miles and have not had any other symptoms relating to head gasket, oil is also always clean. Anyone else had similar issues? why shouldnt the coolant overflow and gush out? specially since the coolant will start being pumped causing a pressure and as the cap is open it just comes out

Quick Reply: DIY: How To Replace the Water Pump on the IS250