IS350 suddenly loses power

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-14, 08:24 PM
mikeb337
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 suddenly loses power

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and stumble across ClubLexus while I was searching for similar symptoms to what I'm experiencing with my car. I searched the forum and wasn't able to find what I'm looking for, so I am seeking for help.

I have a 2007 IS350. My car has been driving fine all day up until this evening. As I was turning into a parking lot, my steering got really stiff, then the battery indicator lit up, and finally a bunch of other indicators lit up with Check VSC. I was able to drive it across to Autozone and the associate used their OBDII reader to diagnose my car. She said that one of the oxygen sensors is bad, but that didn't sound right to me. After that, my car wouldn't start back up. She tried testing the battery and then she said that the alternator is not working.

So, I am seeking if anyone had similar experiences and how was this issue resolved?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-10-14, 08:28 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeb337
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and stumble across ClubLexus while I was searching for similar symptoms to what I'm experiencing with my car. I searched the forum and wasn't able to find what I'm looking for, so I am seeking for help.

I have a 2007 IS350. My car has been driving fine all day up until this evening. As I was turning into a parking lot, my steering got really stiff, then the battery indicator lit up, and finally a bunch of other indicators lit up with Check VSC. I was able to drive it across to Autozone and the associate used their OBDII reader to diagnose my car. She said that one of the oxygen sensors is bad, but that didn't sound right to me. After that, my car wouldn't start back up. She tried testing the battery and then she said that the alternator is not working.

So, I am seeking if anyone had similar experiences and how was this issue resolved?

Thanks,
Mike
Not sure what the problem is but I swear your like the third person this month with some sort of battery or possible alternator problem where the car wouldn't start...
Old 01-10-14, 08:31 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

First thing I would do is volt meter the battery as it sits right now. If it's under 11 - then try to jump start the car and then check the bat with the volt meter again after it runs for a bit. Check to see if it goes up to 14V (means the alternator is working) or if it goes down and the car dies - if it doesn't charge and goes down - your alt is shot.

I just had to diagnose mine last weekend in a Walmart parking lot when I came out with $250 in groceries and my car was dead. I ran back in and bought a $25 volt meter (both my others were 20 min away at home). Found my battery was at 8volts. Jumped it - it charged to 14V - and I swapped the battery out for a new one.

Might be a bad connection to if your battery has build up - try cleaning the terminals.
Old 01-10-14, 08:32 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by P128sniper
Not sure what the problem is but I swear your like the third person this month with some sort of battery or possible alternator problem where the car wouldn't start...
It's winter! The cold takes a toll on batteries.
Old 01-10-14, 08:38 PM
mikeb337
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FI4runner
First thing I would do is volt meter the battery as it sits right now. If it's under 11 - then try to jump start the car and then check the bat with the volt meter again after it runs for a bit. Check to see if it goes up to 14V (means the alternator is working) or if it goes down and the car dies - if it doesn't charge and goes down - your alt is shot.

I just had to diagnose mine last weekend in a Walmart parking lot when I came out with $250 in groceries and my car was dead. I ran back in and bought a $25 volt meter (both my others were 20 min away at home). Found my battery was at 8volts. Jumped it - it charged to 14V - and I swapped the battery out for a new one.

Might be a bad connection to if your battery has build up - try cleaning the terminals.
Autozone jumped the vehicle for me. It started back up and ran for a while until they took off their device. Then all the electrical components started to flicker and the steering got stiff again.

Originally Posted by FI4runner
It's winter! The cold takes a toll on batteries.
Autozone also checked the battery and it was fine. It's also about 70F right now in Lousiana , so I don't think the cold has any bearing in this case.
Old 01-10-14, 08:43 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Autozone jumped the vehicle for me. It started back up and ran for a while until they took off their device. Then all the electrical components started to flicker and the steering got stiff again.

Autozone also checked the battery and it was fine. It's also about 70F right now in Lousiana , so I don't think the cold has any bearing in this case.
I haven't seen 70 for months lol. So yea, that's not the case here. lol

Sounds like your system isn't charging. I'm still new to the IS - so I don't know if there is any weird qwerks (loose grounds ect) that may be a simple fix. Sounds like your due for a trip to the dealer for a new Alt - or DIY alt. You can pull them out and bench test them to confirm (before you drop the cash on a new one). The dealer may be able to tell you right off the bat.
Sorry dude - that sucks.
Old 01-10-14, 08:43 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeap, mine has been doing this too.
Old 01-10-14, 08:44 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most likely there is something wrong with your alternator. Specically the Voltage regulator of the alternator. Do you have a Digital Multi Meter? Do a search on how to trouble shoot the battery and alternator. modern cars like with lots of electronic components tend to go crazy when the voltage is fluctuating. Good luck
Old 01-10-14, 08:45 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

And I wouldn't worry about the O2 sensor until you fix your charging issue. I think if the O2 isn't getting enough power (due to the alt) it won't function properly and that's where the O2 code came from.
Old 01-10-14, 08:51 PM
mikeb337
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, I don't have the car with me to do any testing. I ended up having to leave it in the parking lot at Autozone. I'm debating about getting it towed to the dealer or a local mechanic. I live about 75 miles from the nearest Lexus dealer and the last time I got it towed there, it cost me about $375.
Old 01-10-14, 10:14 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Change your alternator and you're good to go.
My car has same problem and come out is alternator. 5 others member has same problem as well and all of them has bad alternator.
FYI, you also got mis-fire if you're trying to drive it. 99.9999% alternator fail!!!!!

Last edited by whitebeast; 01-10-14 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-11-14, 08:39 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

If your battery is anything more than 2yrs old, I'd recommend replacing it along with the alternator. When a alternator goes bad, it takes the battery down with it. The AutoZone alternator will be $170 + core and a battery $70. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-11-14, 10:16 AM
AutoSexy13
Driver

alternator is dead
Old 01-11-14, 10:21 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened to me the day I drove 400 miles. During the first 40 or so miles those symptoms kept occurring. When I stopped for gas, I had to jump-start the battery, but by the time I arrive at my destination my battery was almost fully charged.

How long do you drive the car for? Maybe it is not enough time to charge the battery. When the battery is almost completely depleted the resistance inside the battery increases causing a much longer charging time if the power input is kept the same.

Last edited by darkdream; 01-11-14 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-11-14, 12:19 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

it's the battery. i had the same issue only i was in a parking lot far far from autozone lol ... the biatch in autozone doesn't know crap to have told you that first! as a matter of fact, i don't think none of them do or maybe that's just autozone in tx. here is the issue as i have addressed the other three this month as well. the isx50 is different from other cars you might have owned. this car revolves around the battery. not only as life support but for other functions as well. if your car died, warning lights flicker, CEL stays on but dimmed, push start button stays lit with orange, vsc light appears, alarm chirp works right? it's your battery. when i went inside a store and came back out, my car wouldn't turn on. the interior lights works, alarm chirps, so my first though was, it's not the battery. when you push start the car, it makes a clicking sound. normally, i would think that was the starter and i'm sure i'm not the only one that would think that at that point in time. i called the stealership and the advisor said it was the battery.. i laughed and ended the convo after i told her my symptom. as a man, we "know" what's wrong. not this time buddy. i disregarded the message and continued to search for loose connections. none. i had a friend come and try to jump start the car and guess what? it worked! drove home and called the stealership again and told him the same problem. same answer as the first lady. now, for some reason, what he said sank in but not what the lady on the first call. it's a guy thing lol (if you're married, you know what i'm talking about). so i switched the battery and everything is fine and dandy till this day. just an fyi, my battery was considered DEAD at 65% that means i only used 35% of the battery... so where's the 65%? evaporated possibly due to the winter season who knows. oh yeah, back onto autozone. when i had my gs, i knew my battery was dead so i took it to autozone. guy didn't test it then and there. he said to come back in an hour cause they have to charge it first (really?). so i did come back 1 hour later and was told my batter was in perfect shape and works perfectly. took it home, started the car, drove it and it died. went back, gave them my grown-man speech and got a free battery. now here's the flip side. another employee who gave me the battery said he had brought a BRAND SPANKING NEW BATTERY and it died a week later. how? he said, "it's just the way it is." great answer right? long story short, it's your battery bruh. i approve this message. please feel free to copy and paste this for future isx50 owners that will start a thread with "HELP! MY BATTERY IS DEAD" or something along that line and is facing similar symptoms. hahaha

and as others say, it could be an alternator ... but do the battery first or call your service advisor. 10\10 they will tell you it's the battery first. it's a free diagnostic over the phone so why not lol ... this vehicle is one strange invention if you ask me.

Quick Reply: IS350 suddenly loses power