IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone from Chicago can report how their RWD is doing in this snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 02:11 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone from Chicago can report how their RWD is doing in this snow

So if your from Chicago or surrounding area and have a is350 or is250 RWD, can you report if your able to drive in this snow we've been getting these past few days. Took my sisters Nissan juke AWD out today and it did Ok as far as moving from a complete stop in the slushy snow. I'm getting the is350 this spring and want to know if it'll even be possible driving in a situation like we have today? Obviously using good snow tires. I wouldn't even try without them using just RWD. If your not from Chicago, we're getting abiut 6in or more of snow I wanna say... Slowly plowing the streets but still pretty snowy and slushy, and most side streets still look like they have abiut a 8in of snow on them, could be more... Thanks guys.. Main question is would it be possible to take out a 350rwd on good snow tires in these conditions?
Old 01-05-14, 03:47 PM
FWDLOL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove mine last winter with just the all seasons, in Nova Scotia and we get hit pretty hard. Snow mode is actually a great function, it keeps the car from rotating. Although your better of in some situations to turn traction control off. It was a bit of a battle, but I am sure with decent snow tires it would be great in Winter.
Old 01-05-14, 05:24 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by P128sniper
So if your from Chicago or surrounding area and have a is350 or is250 RWD, can you report if your able to drive in this snow we've been getting these past few days. Took my sisters Nissan juke AWD out today and it did Ok as far as moving from a complete stop in the slushy snow. I'm getting the is350 this spring and want to know if it'll even be possible driving in a situation like we have today? Obviously using good snow tires. I wouldn't even try without them using just RWD. If your not from Chicago, we're getting abiut 6in or more of snow I wanna say... Slowly plowing the streets but still pretty snowy and slushy, and most side streets still look like they have abiut a 8in of snow on them, could be more... Thanks guys.. Main question is would it be possible to take out a 350rwd on good snow tires in these conditions?
I recommend you to get winter tires if you want to drive your rwd car's, all season tires are ok if you have front wheels drive, but rear wheels drive i recommend winter tires, i own my IS350 for 6 years and never touch snow, but this winter i have to use my baby IS350, and first snow with stock summer tires i couldnt go any where, and i swap out with the all new design Good Year all season sport and love that tires. They are very quite and no slip on wet road very good traction, but when come to a slushy ice, i was scare and swap out those tires for Bridgestone blizzak LM 32, oh man these tires are best among all the winter tires i owned in the past, these tires even quiter than the good year all season i had before, i have a lot confidant on these tires
Old 01-05-14, 06:26 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in Utah, we had a snow storm a few weeks back. I made it with summer tires. Still driving in the snow too!
Only got stuck twice cause i parked near the curb on some soft snow LOL. ABS kicks in sometimes when i just stomp on the brakes but other than that its not as bad as you think it would be.
Overall it's not that bad with RWD on my Is350.

I know a friend with blizzaks and he hasn't gotten stuck yet. And says he has better traction than ever LOL.
Old 01-05-14, 06:45 PM
stewb10
Driver

Ohio here. We've gotten about 3x as much snowfall as normal in here in Columbus. Im on Conti DWS (All Seasons) and weather isn't really a concern when I leave the house. At slow speeds, if you're a good driver, its honestly better to drive with with ECT snow on and trac off (temporarily disabled so it kicks back in over 30mph). I do end up sideways a lot, but thats part of the fun!

Last edited by stewb10; 01-05-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 08:34 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in Chicago and this week, I've been trying to trade my IS350 RWD in for a G37x. I get around fine with the snow tires I bought last year. However, don't think you can pass someone up or accelerate through a turn or turn more than 10 MPH, the back end swings out. When I try to pass up someone, the car starts fishtailing. I did test drive the G37x and right away, I can tell the difference even though the G37 had all-seasons. No wheel spin at all when accelerating, no fishtailing, and I can turn much faster without "drifting". If you want to ride in my car someday, I can let you to get an idea. The Juke has the same AWD system as the G which I thought did great in the snow, but if you think it was just okay then you might not be satisfied with how the IS350 RWD does with snow tires in this kind of weather.

Last edited by chi123; 01-05-14 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 08:55 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

we just got 12 inches this past week. drive in sport shift mode in heavy snow conditions. instead of braking and slipping under snow and slush, downshift and let the engine braking slow down the wheels till you can stop and not slide into a ditch
Old 01-05-14, 08:58 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chi123
I'm in Chicago and this week, I've been trying to trade my IS350 RWD in for a G37x. I get around fine with the snow tires I bought last year. However, don't think you can pass someone up or accelerate through a turn or turn more than 10 MPH, the back end swings out. When I try to pass up someone, the car starts fishtailing. I did test drive the G37x and right away, I can tell the difference even though the G37 had all-seasons. No wheel spin at all when accelerating, no fishtailing, and I can turn much faster without "drifting". If you want to ride in my car someday, I can let you to get an idea. The Juke has the same AWD system as the G which I thought did great in the snow, but if you think it was just okay then you might not be satisfied with how the IS350 RWD does with snow tires in this kind of weather.
Thanks for the offer, never had anyone on here offer me to test out their car which is pretty cool so I can get a feel for it. Well I said the juke did Ok, but I guess it did better than just Ok, I wasn't scared at all to go into any of the side streets that weren't plowed at all, no problems at all moving from a complete stop either. So I guess I shouldn't have used the word Ok, but it did great. My driveway was pretty showed in and I did have to go back and forward maybe about 4 tomes before I got out but that's typical for that situation. Also I'm not looking to be passing people or going more than 15-20mph in situations like today with the snow. Yea this is Chicago but we typically don't even get this much snow, by tomorow all the streets will all be plowed and good to go. Fish tailing and all that will be sort of fun I guess as long as I play it safe. My only concern is will it be able to move from a complete stop with the amount of snow we had today if let's say I hit a side street and have to come to a stop. With good winter tires will u be able to move or Will the back wheels just spin? As long as I'm able to move I have no issues driving slowly and carefully, I'm not looking to be racing anyone in 6in to a foot of snow. Can I ask why ur getting rid of ur 350? Any issues with it that you don't like or is it the snow Thanks...

Last edited by P128sniper; 01-05-14 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 09:42 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the offer, never had anyone on here offer me to test out their car which is pretty cool so I can get a feel for it. Well I said the juke did Ok, but I guess it did better than just Ok, I wasn't scared at all to go into any of the side streets that weren't plowed at all, no problems at all moving from a complete stop either. So I guess I shouldn't have used the word Ok, but it did great. My driveway was pretty showed in and I did have to go back and forward maybe about 4 tomes before I got out but that's typical for that situation. Also I'm not looking to be passing people or going more than 15-20mph in situations like today with the snow. Yea this is Chicago but we typically don't even get this much snow, by tomorow all the streets will all be plowed and good to go. Fish tailing and all that will be sort of fun I guess as long as I play it safe. My only concern is will it be able to move from a complete stop with the amount of snow we had today if let's say I hit a side street and have to come to a stop. With good winter tires will u be able to move or Will the back wheels just spin? As long as I'm able to move I have no issues driving slowly and carefully, I'm not looking to be racing anyone in 6in to a foot of snow. Can I ask why ur getting rid of ur 350? Any issues with it that you don't like or is it the snow Thanks...
I found a great deal on the G37 and they offered a trade in price I was okay with. I always avoid stops, that's the only times I every do rolling stops and that's in snow. When trying to go from complete stops, the back wheels will spin for sure unless you're gassing it VERY lightly. It has an open differential in the rear so it makes it easier to fish tail when accelerating from dead stops. When I'm the first one at lights and it turns green, I usually can't catch up with the person next to me when they accelerate from stops. They only way is to go real slow to avoid any fish tailing or wheel spin but others with FWD or AWD will be flying by you. Having a LSD can make a huge difference cause my co-worker's G35S is RWD will all-seasons and with an LSD but his car does just as well as mine with snow tires even though he has all-season but with an LSD.
Old 01-05-14, 09:59 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Thanks all for the replies. Hard to tell how it will work with out actually driving it for yourself. Some people say they are driving in Canada with summer tires some say my wheels will spin even with snow tires... Lol. I'm sure I'll be fine. Like iI'm saying Chicago usually doesn't get this much snow and if it does you just have to wait a couple hours for the plows to do their job. I'm just scared getting stuck with someone behind me and I won't be able to move lol...
Old 01-05-14, 10:02 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks all for the replies. Hard to tell how it will work with out actually driving it for yourself. Some people say they are driving in Canada with summer tires some say my wheels will spin even with snow tires... Lol. I'm sure I'll be fine. Like iI'm saying Chicago usually doesn't get this much snow and if it does you just have to wait a couple hours for the plows to do their job. I'm just scared getting stuck with someone behind me and I won't be able to move lol...
You'll be able to get out lol. I never got "stuck" this winter yet. Just lots of wheel spin and slow driving.
Old 01-05-14, 10:14 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chi123
You'll be able to get out lol. I never got "stuck" this winter yet. Just lots of wheel spin and slow driving.
Cool, hit me up if u get the Infiniti g37x so I can come smoke u in my 350 when I get it in spring lol hahahah.
Old 01-06-14, 12:56 AM
08is350x
Driver School Candidate

I live in Chicago too and I have continental extreme winter contacts 225/45/17 all around on my is350 and I haven't gotten stuck yet this winter. You will get a lot of wheel spin and you have to drive with the traction control off in order to move or else moving from a dead stop will take a while. Other then that my car did good I was keeping up with everyone else on the road when we got all that snow two days ago. The is350 isn't the best car in the snow but it doesn't snow that much here and most of the times the roads are plowed so as long as you have snow tires you'll do good in the winter.
Old 01-06-14, 10:11 AM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 08is350x
I live in Chicago too and I have continental extreme winter contacts 225/45/17 all around on my is350 and I haven't gotten stuck yet this winter. You will get a lot of wheel spin and you have to drive with the traction control off in order to move or else moving from a dead stop will take a while. Other then that my car did good I was keeping up with everyone else on the road when we got all that snow two days ago. The is350 isn't the best car in the snow but it doesn't snow that much here and most of the times the roads are plowed so as long as you have snow tires you'll do good in the winter.
With the 2007 and up models of the 350 you can turn off traction control with button correct? I think only 2006 you had to do pedal dance? Anyone using snow mode or power mode for snow or just regular drive?
Old 01-06-14, 10:21 AM
08is350x
Driver School Candidate

Yea that correct. I just leave it in regular drive the snow mode just starts you off in 2nd gear for less wheel spin.

Quick Reply: Anyone from Chicago can report how their RWD is doing in this snow