IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Carbon build up with 2010 thru 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 11:50 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon build up with 2010 thru 2013

Has anyone with 2010 thru 2013 model year IS 250s had any carbon build up issues? Or did Lexus address the issue once & for all from the factory with the revised engines?
Old 01-03-14, 12:04 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are already multiple threads discussing about the carbon buildup. Just search and you'll find the answers to your questions.
Old 01-03-14, 04:08 PM
azari
Intermediate

I actually searched & read a ton of posts in the carbon build up mother thread here, but did not see a single case of carbon build up with cars between 2010 and 2013. Any complaints with these specific year models?
Old 01-03-14, 04:17 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by azari
I actually searched & read a ton of posts in the carbon build up mother thread here, but did not see a single case of carbon build up with cars between 2010 and 2013. Any complaints with these specific year models?
yeah there are tons of threads on this already. but to answer the question the motor didnt change at all, so all the 4GR are going to get the issue at some point or another. its just the design flaw of the motor thats all. you probably dont see many 2010-2013 cars with it because they are newer and probably havent had the issue yet vs a 06-09
Old 01-04-14, 09:34 AM
azari
Intermediate

I doubt Lexus did not find a permanent fix and kept relying on the TSB to fix the cars at the dealerships. Also, I hear the 2014 models have the same engine carried over.
Old 01-04-14, 09:44 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by azari
I doubt Lexus did not find a permanent fix and kept relying on the TSB to fix the cars at the dealerships. Also, I hear the 2014 models have the same engine carried over.
Well you just got told that nothing changed, and you read the larger thread on the issue... so if you still have doubts call Lexus and let us know what you find out.
Old 01-04-14, 09:49 AM
azari
Intermediate

Yeah, you do that.
Old 01-04-14, 09:54 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

The TSB/warranty extension only applies up to very early 2010 models produced in 2009, there were internal changes made to the pistons and rings after that point.

I have not seen anyone report any carbon build up issues with cars built after that date, but they all have lower mileage as well, so it's hard to know at this point.

Jeff
Old 01-04-14, 10:01 AM
azari
Intermediate

I haven't seen any reports either (yet)! So that's pretty promising.
Old 01-06-14, 03:30 PM
mxmykieupx
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am new to the forums. I apologize if I posted in the wrong thread. I have a 2010 IS 250 with about 66,000 miles. This morning I started up my car but it stalled/stuttered for a few seconds, didn't sound good or normal, but the engine was running (weakly) and didn't cut off. It freaked me out since it had never happened before. I shut off the engine right away and tried to start up again. It stalled again (same results). I couldn't recall if the engine light stayed on at that point. The third time I tried, the car started up normally. I called the dealership soon after that & explained my situation. The technician told me it could be carbon build up that's causing the problem if I let my car sit for a few days. He advised to try again & let the car run, revving the engine and everything is supposed to be fine. But is it? Is this normal? He also said it could be cold weather? I live in SoCal and yes, at night it can get to 30 degrees, but I couldn't see it being weather as the cause. Any ideas? I'm scared to drive my car. I have tried turning on my engine a few times since & it seems to be working normally again, but don't want this to happen tomorrow morning when I need to get to work.
Old 01-06-14, 04:52 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The TSB/warranty extension only applies up to very early 2010 models produced in 2009, there were internal changes made to the pistons and rings after that point.

I have not seen anyone report any carbon build up issues with cars built after that date, but they all have lower mileage as well, so it's hard to know at this point.

Jeff
I wonder if 3IS is gonna encounter the same problem as they did not change the engine configurations ?
Old 01-06-14, 07:32 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
I wonder if 3IS is gonna encounter the same problem as they did not change the engine configurations ?
more than likely at some point im almost positive. it will just take longer since those are so new and wont have all the miles like 06 through say a 2010 or 2011
Old 01-06-14, 08:05 PM
diablo1714
Driver

I have an '11 with 62K on it without any issues.

Every week I go WOT, partly because of the carbon thing and partly because its fun !.

I'd like to hear from more owners from these years...maybe the ring change & the lower oil change frequency helps delay this issue ?
Old 01-06-14, 08:08 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1714
maybe the ring change & the lower oil change frequency helps delay this issue ?
Exactly, this is probably why the 2010+ owners haven't reported any problems. Without any major change, the problem is inevitable, but it might take a while.
Old 01-07-14, 12:18 AM
azari
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mxmykieupx
Hi, I am new to the forums. I apologize if I posted in the wrong thread. I have a 2010 IS 250 with about 66,000 miles. This morning I started up my car but it stalled/stuttered for a few seconds, didn't sound good or normal, but the engine was running (weakly) and didn't cut off. It freaked me out since it had never happened before. I shut off the engine right away and tried to start up again. It stalled again (same results). I couldn't recall if the engine light stayed on at that point. The third time I tried, the car started up normally. I called the dealership soon after that & explained my situation. The technician told me it could be carbon build up that's causing the problem if I let my car sit for a few days. He advised to try again & let the car run, revving the engine and everything is supposed to be fine. But is it? Is this normal? He also said it could be cold weather? I live in SoCal and yes, at night it can get to 30 degrees, but I couldn't see it being weather as the cause. Any ideas? I'm scared to drive my car. I have tried turning on my engine a few times since & it seems to be working normally again, but don't want this to happen tomorrow morning when I need to get to work.
mxmykieupx,

You can take your car to the dealership and have them check for codes; that's how they can tell if it's carbon build up or not.

Another thing: if you're indeed having the carbon build up problem, it would be valuable for us to know what month your 2010 was manufactured. I'm sure Jeff Lange can shed more light on this, but the ring/piston upgrade didn't take place until sometime in 2010. So it'd be good to know if your car is still affected with the piston upgrade. Let us know!

Cheers

Quick Reply: Carbon build up with 2010 thru 2013