IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Heads up DIY'ers RE: Oil filter housing

Old 12-23-13, 06:57 AM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heads up DIY'ers RE: Oil filter housing

For anyone like myself that bought their IS used, with higher mileage and a blackout in the service history here's a heads up:
I changed my oil this weekend and coming from an E46 BMW with a canister style filter I new all about O-ring care on the oil filter housing. When I picked my car up from having the cam gear recall done I picked up two filters from the dealer (A3 box w/ A2 stamped filter).
When changing the oil/filter I noticed that the filter was definitely not an OEM unit. I attributed this to the (Chevy) dealership I bought the car from changing the oil. I fire the car up and much to my dismay I see a small amount of oil start to seep out around the housing lid, enough to form into a drop within 30-45 seconds. I shut the car off, leak stops. I remove the housing lid thinking bum o-ring, or it got bound up or pinched or something. I replace the o-ring with a new one making absolutely sure it wasn't twisted, applied quite a bit of oil to it before and after installing and even broke out the torque wrench. Same thing.
I'm pissed at this point but have to drive the car so I apply some RTV to slow it down as much as possible and drive to Advance and pick up a Purolator filter (looks likes the A5 package w/ check valve and second o-ring for the AWD). Comparing the filters, the Purolator has a few more pleats and is maybe 1/6"-1/32" shorter. The o-ring supplied with the Purolator looks to be slightly bigger in diameter. Prior to installing the new o-ring I went over the housing lid very very carefully and was able to see a very small scratch in the o-ring groove, almost like someone used a screwdriver or pick to remove the o-ring.
Install the Purolator filter and o-ring and 200 miles later no leaks.
The only thing I can think of is that the additional thickness of the Purolator o-ring helped to stop the oil that was passing around the OEM o-ring from the scratch.

Needless to say I'll be ordering a new oil filter housing lid for the next time I change the oil...
Old 12-23-13, 07:18 AM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2007 IS250 used. The dealer I bought mine from said the previous owner was a she, smoked(ash tray had ashes but interior didn't smell like cigarettes) was from san diego and was the first owner.

So I had an idea that the first owner didn't mod but I took my IS250 to the Lexus dealer to change the oil an filter and do a good peak around and inside. Nothing damaged or needed replacement and the previous owner serviced her car at the dealer when it was hers.
Old 12-23-13, 07:39 AM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The first owner of mine was a female and there are 80k miles of as scheduled maintenance. The 40k after that with the second owner there are no records of Lexus dealership service, hence the "blackout" in service history.
And yes, I picked my IS350 up w/ 121k on the clock...
Old 12-23-13, 08:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear that you a leak issue. Mine was purchased at 68K and knew it was serviced by a Lexus dealer when I read the history. That’s a plus on a used car serviced via a Lexus dealer.
Old 12-23-13, 04:23 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SH4DY
The first owner of mine was a female and there are 80k miles of as scheduled maintenance. The 40k after that with the second owner there are no records of Lexus dealership service, hence the "blackout" in service history.
And yes, I picked my IS350 up w/ 121k on the clock...
same here man i picked up mine with 140k on the clock but all maintenance was done at lexus dealership from previous owner. oil changes, brake jobs, recalls, etc. so that was a bonus for me

there was a brief blackout on my history as well but that was the period when nobody owned the car
Old 12-23-13, 10:25 PM
Uber350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I install a new filter, I have to put a couple more pounds of torque on it to stop that slight leak that you are mentioning. It's almost as if the O ring needs a little help getting seated properly. Sure is annoying, but it's consistent at least.