IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Waiting on a car shipment - need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 11:49 AM
modlife
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Waiting on a car shipment - need opinions!

Hey all - it's been a few years since I was on the forum at all.. in 2003 I had an SC300 that I traded for an Audi A4 3.0. I've also since bought my wife an RX330 that has amazed me with reliability and cheap parts.

Well, My Audi is getting pretty expensive to maintain ($3500 timing belt, $1000 misc. repairs, have spent $1200 to have tools to do anything myself, etc.). Well, I went to Carmax and decided to have them ship an IS350 they had on their website to me. 2008 model, single owner, 40k mi, inspector said it was mint, without a scratch inside or out.

I have (3) questions for you all:
  1. What do you think - is it silly to pay $23k for this car? (all things considered - including low miles/condition)
  2. What are the first mods you would do
  3. What do you think about the lack of navigation? I use a mounted iPad mini in my Audi, and would probably do the same here, along with the Chinese nav unit I see on Alibaba for $450

Here are some pictures they sent before it was detailed:

Thanks!
Old 12-22-13, 12:10 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

1.What do you think - is it silly to pay $23k for this car? (all things considered - including low miles/condition)

Silly...no; but priced a little high, yes. But that's CarMax for you.

2.What are the first mods you would do

Really depends on your taste; for me it was minor/cheap visual mods first (HID fogs, upper rear window spoiler, F-sport front grille). Then came the good stuff...better tires, coilovers, intake, and GFX lip kit. Next for me is new wheels!

3.What do you think about the lack of navigation? I use a mounted iPad mini in my Audi, and would probably do the same here, along with the Chinese nav unit I see on Alibaba for $450

I could live w/o mine, but it's nice to have if it's there. The back-up camera is the most useful function of the NAV unit to me. More so than the navigation itself. Plus having a NAV unit helps with resale value.

I'm partial to SGM, but that looks to be a prime example of a CLEAN 2IS there! Once in your possession, treat it to a full waxing.

Last edited by Gville350; 12-22-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-22-13, 01:31 PM
modlife
Rookie

I agree about the backup camera - have it in the rx and love it. I could pick up the same car for $20k with nab and 85k miles... But my thought is that for $3k, I'd like to put those 45k miles on it myself. In 5 years, it seems like the difference in having 85k mo Vs. 130k might make all the difference in resale value - more so than an outdated navigation system, right?

The Alibaba unit supports a camera, so i would probably install one with higher resolution - maybe even attach to a ssd or have a secondary output to record from it (I'm a suburbanite and friends with cops around here, but I still like the idea of switching on cameras when/if I get pulled over or something).

As for the suggested mods, $500 seems REALLY step for the GFX lip - any ideas where to pick one up? Junk yard maybe? I'm good with a paint gun so I would imagine I could make it look good...

I have also considered a CF lip, but haven't found one in the GFX style...
Old 12-22-13, 01:48 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get the GFX lip on the classifieds here all the time. Just keep an eye out or pick up the AIT racing lip (they sell one in carbon) and throw it on.

The price is a little high, but when you buy from CarMax, its expected. The Chinese navi has a lot more options than stock and I constantly find myself wishing I has bought a non-navi model so I could have swapped it out.

Good Luck with the buy!
Old 12-22-13, 01:58 PM
knbnguyen
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I agreed that it is a bit pricey... but tbh... you will love it. I was one of the first group that bought the Chinese Navi unit, and let me tell you.... it worth every penny!!!
Old 12-22-13, 02:28 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a 2008, it is a bit high unless its $23k OTD. If 23k OTD, then that is an awesome price, if before tax and fees, I think they can come down a little on the price. With the new year approaching and the recent release of the third gen, the prices should have dropped a few grand here and there. The car is still pretty comfortable with out the NAV and you can make due with out it but you can always install an aftermarket kit like said above.

First mod I would do really is HID's There is a HUGE difference in light output from standard halogen bulbs to HID's. After that, then its really modding the car to your liking
Old 12-22-13, 02:59 PM
modlife
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
For a 2008, it is a bit high unless its $23k OTD. If 23k OTD, then that is an awesome price, if before tax and fees, I think they can come down a little on the price. With the new year approaching and the recent release of the third gen, the prices should have dropped a few grand here and there. The car is still pretty comfortable with out the NAV and you can make due with out it but you can always install an aftermarket kit like said above.

The $23k is not OTD, but they are financing at a pretty good rate (4%) and will go 60months. Everyone else would only go 36 months or wanted 7-8%. All said and done, It's costing $26,200 including a $459 shipping charge.

So, it boiled down to $375/mo for this one - that will have under 100k miles when it's paid off, or $391/mo for an $19k 2007 I found from a private seller with 91k miles - which would be in the 140k mile range in 5 years.

I guess I'm trying to justify it - I also haven't found another one with the same color combo for sale other than a 2006 (I want 2008> for the traction control and improved suspension/steering).

The more I look though, the more I really like every other color - so IDK. I would only be out the $459 shipping if I didn't take delivery.

Prices don't seem to have come down that much, either. Maybe 5% over the last year.

Originally Posted by NYKnick101

First mod I would do really is HID's There is a HUGE difference in light output from standard halogen bulbs to HID's. After that, then its really modding the car to your liking
Yeah, I just installed xenon ballasts/fogs in my audi so I'm def. taking them off to go on the IS. If anyone needs decent cheap kits - I ordered mine from DDM Tuning ( http://www.ddmtuning.com/ ) for like $70 - both headlights and fogs. They work perfectly.
Old 12-22-13, 03:03 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the price is a bit high, considering it's an old-ish car, but the mileage is a good indicator that the car wasn't driven that much. It's not silly to pay that for the IS350. You may be able to get a better deal elsewhere, but will it be as clean or low mileage? If this is the car you like, I'd just go for it. Then again, when I see something I want, i just get it.

First mods I did for the car were HIDs, and intake/exhaust combo.

I can live without navigation. I know where I'm going 99% of the time, and the off-chance that I don't know, I have a smartphone that can guide me. The navi looks super nice in the car, but it's very optional IMO. Especially considering most navi units I've used take forever to enter in an address, compared to a phone. Also, considering you're usually going to look on the phone for the address to begin with, why bother entering it into the navi?
Old 12-22-13, 03:40 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

When i purchased my is350, I look specifically for one without a navigation system. The potential for failure is common, and the benefit of the nav for me would have been minimal. I dont regret that decision at all... I also believe that paying more for a vehicle with very low miles will pay for itself in the long run, with less repair bills and increased resale value in the future... I think you may be able to get carmax to wave the delivery fee, its certainly worth a try... Good luck with the car if you decide to purchase.
Old 12-22-13, 03:51 PM
modlife
Rookie

For sure, using Waze on the iPad mini is way better than the navigation in any car I have driven. I do like having the screen/camera though . I don't think I've ever even used the nav in the RX...

I'm still looking for cars until I get this. Can't seem to really find anything cheaper though without 100k miles on it :-/ there is a nice 2009 with f-sport options in GA for $25,999 that I can get for about 25k - not my favorite colors, and have yet to get back the carfax though. It would be roughly $50 more per month at a max of 48months.

Waiting on a car shipment - need opinions!-image-3583005241.jpg

Waiting on a car shipment - need opinions!-image-2530976179.jpg
Old 12-22-13, 10:17 PM
modlife
Rookie

Yeah, still can't find anything anywhere else... I'm going to do it I think. I made an offer on the black f-sport. - we'll see tomorrow if they accept it.

Another question - I'm used to the Bose system in my Audi - do you think I'll be satisfied with the base sound and an additional 10" sub? I can't find a single decent is350 in the country for sale with ML and everything else I want, in my price range...
Old 12-23-13, 09:34 AM
modlife
Rookie

I desperately need your opinions...

I have to buy ASAP and can get the black with all f-sport options for $24,900 or the 2008 SGM without options for $22,500

Here's the catch - the 2008 is too old to finance for 72mo, so I can do 66mo at $392/mo at 7.2%

I can finance the 2009 for 72mo at a cost of $382/mo at 4.9%

What would you do? I like the SGM colors better but would want to add coilovers, intake, exhaust anyways...

What would you go for?

Both have only $40k miles and clean carfax, single owner
Old 12-23-13, 10:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Decisions, decisions...tough. But decide! Once you pick, do not ever look back.
Old 12-23-13, 11:18 AM
modlife
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Decisions, decisions...tough. But decide! Once you pick, do not ever look back.
Seriously - hardest decision I've had this week!
Old 12-23-13, 11:30 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by modlife
I desperately need your opinions...

I have to buy ASAP and can get the black with all f-sport options for $24,900 or the 2008 SGM without options for $22,500

Here's the catch - the 2008 is too old to finance for 72mo, so I can do 66mo at $392/mo at 7.2%

I can finance the 2009 for 72mo at a cost of $382/mo at 4.9%

What would you do? I like the SGM colors better but would want to add coilovers, intake, exhaust anyways...

What would you go for?

Both have only $40k miles and clean carfax, single owner
First of all never finance from dealer. Go to your credit union and I can guaranty you'll get close to half. They screw you over the interest to get more $$$ from you pocket.
I got my IS250 finance in april from credit union with 3.2% from private party for 72 months.
Also the car is outrageous expensive. I would never pay that much for a such an old car with no nav

Quick Reply: Waiting on a car shipment - need opinions!