IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How underpowered does the IS250 actually feel

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-13, 10:36 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

its good enough for me, but "objectively", it's "weak" when you really need to gun it. Go test drive it for a long time.
Old 12-25-13, 12:37 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 250 is not a bad car but if your worried about HP then you shouldn't even be looking at the 250/350 at all. I have my 250 AWD mainly because of the winter weather concerns in my area that I needed the AWD. And the car is sexy as ****. Ive never had a problem with power because it really has all the power EXACTLY where you need it. On the highway, I have no problem overtaking cars or keeping up with faster cars if any. Around the city, its still pretty good and with supporting mods, it has plenty of power. The 350 yeah has 100hp more but not really too much more. And if I want to go fast, I have my motorcycle, and a series of street legal race cars that I have access to.

The reason why I say you shouldnt even be looking at the 250/350 is because there is almost NO tuning options for these cars beyond intake/headers/exhaust. If you are worried about HP, I would look at other cars

Plus Ive driven a ton of high HP cars that will make you **** your pants and at the end of the day, I still feel FAR MORE safer, and comfortable in my IS
Old 01-01-14, 01:56 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

This was the deciding factor for me. I had the Murano SL and it cost me ~$600 a month on gas. I did 3 months with it and sold it.

I wanted an IS350 RWD, but after looking at this chart, I opted for an IS250 RWD. I had that model Camry and the gas mileage is identical to my IS250 RWD, hence the information is accurate.

The money that I save on gas can pay off the car

Old 01-06-14, 10:01 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the campry probably used 87 instead of 91 tho
Old 01-06-14, 10:49 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like you, my previous car was a Honda Civic LX...

In terms of feel, it is a lot quicker than a base Civic. It's also faster than my wife's base Acure RSX. I love how my car feels and I don't drive very fast. I am mainly stuck in commute traffic to and from my work. I still have enough juice to out-accelerate half of the cars on the road (Corolla, sentra, civic, etc..)

Just get the car that is right for you. Test drive to see if you actually like it before you buy it.

There are some good point brought up, like the carbon build-up issue with the IS250. I haven't had that issue.
Old 01-13-14, 03:06 PM
ocean3737
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too bad in my opinion. but it could be better
Old 01-18-14, 06:52 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll give my input..

I just bought an 08 250 in October. I love it. 3 reasons why I went 250 over 350. I need to slow down, needed something that I didn't want to modify the engine to make it faster (goes back to 1), and I had to have a manual. I'm sorry I don't care how much horsepower it has...it has to have a 3rd pedal.

Between my husband and I we have 5 cars and none of them are under 300whp except the IS. And I still love the **** out of my IS. Yes, I miss the power sometimes but the 6sp still makes it fun to drive.

Hope that helps....maybe lol
Old 01-18-14, 10:58 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I will never go back to a slower car again (slower than the 350). The smile that is put on my face every time I decide to hammer down, is amazing to say the least.
I was stuck with a is250 while my 350 had the cam recall done - it was a complete let down (no pun intended for the 250 folks that aren't concerned with power).
But before you consider a IS purchase - PLEASE test drive the 350!
Old 01-19-14, 12:44 PM
cxc511
Driver School Candidate

It really depends on the individual. My girlfriend loves her IS250 and has no complaints, but she is not a car enthusiast. In my opinion, the IS250 is set up for more entry level luxury than sport appeal. I test drove the IS250 before deciding to buy a BMW 328 coupe before we started dating. My initial impression was that IS250 was not responsive enough for me. Her IS250 has grown on me the past few years, but I would likely choose the IS350 if I switched over to Lexus.
Old 01-19-14, 01:50 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched over to my is250 back in dec and just like you I was looking for something nice and great gas mileage and to be honest I love my 250 I am averaging 26+ in Tucson city driving which is just as some mentioned, block to block stop lights and occasional 40mph for about a min or two hahaha and loving getting 26mpg rather than 15mpg like my suv before... Now as power goes yes it lacks a little power but buying a 250 is not for the power I mainly got it to have a nice family sedan that can also have a bit of pickup but nothing to keep up with higher end bimmers and audis... As long as you are happy with your luxurious car make it look nice and get awesome gas MPG you'll be happy, this is my daily driver and maybe one day i'll get me my led foot monster
Old 01-19-14, 02:00 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It feels the most under powered(in my opinion) if you have an intake/exhaust setup and you're gunning it up a hill. Before I added the exhaust I was content, but after it sounded just like too much roar for the car. If I ever do upgrade, I'd grab the 350/F.
Old 01-19-14, 04:31 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Good enough for me, it's somewhat lame. There is no decision to be made thought, buy 350 for the maintenance alone.
Old 07-17-18, 11:34 PM
Mattrix
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread and it's already July 2018 lol you proabably maybe went through a couple of other cars already lol but I have a different opinion from everyone that recommended an is350. I can so relate to the OP. I'm from Illinois as well and drive around locally northwest suburb and Chicago. I came from having a 94 Nissan Sentra gxe and modding it with bolt ons, then came and got me a 90 Honda civic lx, I mod it with bolt ons by turning the dpfi engine to multipoint injection which in other words, I turned that lx into an SI ( oh the fun days of modding lol) I got the whole works too with coilovers and bodykits.. was show ready for HIN back in the days until they stopped for a while. So my modding days was over... sold the car and bought a 2002 Cavalier LS Sport which was my 1st manual tranny. That car was pretty quick in my experience boasting 149hp and 138tq hehe. So I had this one for years and finally 3 years ago from today... I got me a 08 is250 awd. I gotta tell ya.... it's pretty quick in my book. I tried the g37 and BMW 335 and didn't really impress me much in terms of comfort. I dont really need that much power either for rural driving. So for the OP.. the is250 should be more than enough. You can make it more fun by modding it with fsport intake, fsport or tanabe exhaust, lowering springs and sway bars and also chip it (yes there is one that exist) and put lighter wheels. It will add some significant hp in your car and more fun. Not for straight aways tho. I think is250 is better designed for track in comparison to is350. Because the power to weight ratio will fare better on pavement with is250. Is350 will be too powerful and might slip and lose control on harder turns. Currently my is250 has fsport intake, tanabe exhaust, h&r lowering springs, tinted windows, mr131 18×9 traklite wheels and oil catch can (prevent carbon deposit build up) and today I just reached 60k in mileage. *I'm currently having a mod bug so I may invest on sway bars next. Lowering it and having lighter wheels is a HUGE difference, a lot more peppy, especially if you turn the ectpwr mode on hehe
Old 07-18-18, 08:41 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Since you're having the mod bug. Look into the APEXi throttle controller. It makes the car more fun to drive. I did my own fsport box mod with a 3" hole, and removed the upper box carbon filter. The car sounds really throaty and it's also paired with the tanabe exhaust. As for suspension mods sway bars, RR bushings, and last the fsport chassis brace. The car has come a long ways from stock form. I was seriously considering selling it or trading it in at one point. Now the car is paid off after I got it with 32k miles, and I'm planning to keep it till the wheels fall off. Just hit 78k miles a few days ago. It's a good daily car and once you add mods it makes a slow car more enjoyable to drive.

My last mods I want is lighter wheels, FRS/BRZ Diff, BC coilovers. Then finally I'll call it a day on the mods.

Old 07-18-18, 08:50 AM
Mattrix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Since you're having the mod bug. Look into the APEXi throttle controller. It makes the car more fun to drive. I did my own fsport box mod with a 3" hole, and removed the upper box carbon filter. The car sounds really throaty and it's also paired with the tanabe exhaust. As for suspension mods sway bars, RR bushings, and last the fsport chassis brace. The car has come a long ways from stock form. I was seriously considering selling it or trading it in at one point. Now the car is paid off after I got it with 32k miles, and I'm planning to keep it till the wheels fall off. Just hit 78k miles a few days ago. It's a good daily car and once you add mods it makes a slow car more enjoyable to drive.

My last mods I want is lighter wheels, FRS/BRZ Diff, BC coilovers. Then finally I'll call it a day on the mods.
Niiiiccceee!!! Yeah definitely got the mod bug back lol good call on that Alexi throttle controller!! I didn't know that even exist! And good call as well on the RR bushings since I plan to to do an fsport sway bars in front and rear as well as the fsport brace. Totally 4got about the bushings hehe. Yeah man... i love it on low rpm, you have the exhaust growl, but when you rev up and reach over 3k rpm... that's when you hear the engine hehe post a smile on my face every time lol
thanks again for pointing out those 2 items!!😁👍

Quick Reply: How underpowered does the IS250 actually feel