IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 Lexus IS350 ML Package Navigation touchscreen stops responding/working.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 11:39 AM
jamessinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus IS350 ML Package Navigation touchscreen stops responding/working.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there has have this happen to them. My navigation touchscreen function stop responding/working. I can't press I Agree, control the A/C, pretty much the screen will not respond to any touch function. my car is still under warranty, thanks goodness. I've had other vehicles with touchscreen based navi before but nothing like this happens before. I will call the dealer tomorrow Monday to schedule an appointment for them to take a look at this problem. I hope they replace me with a new unit so future problems won't come up again.
Old 10-11-09, 07:49 PM
ssblitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that my touchscreen stopped working today as well. No response to anything. Very similar to what you have described. My sister said it was working fine yesterday when she drove it.

I will be calling the dealership to see what could be the cause.

My guess could be that the DVD navigation system disc could have a expiration date and it expired today and everything stopped working, but your car is a 07 while mines is 06. Just a wild guess.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-12-09, 09:51 AM
jamessinh
Driver

I called Arrowhead Lexus here in Peoria, Arizona and told them about my problem with the touchscreen. They assure me that they have never heard of any problem like this before and it's not normal. Anyway I'm dropping my car off this coming Saturday for them to look at the problem. I will posted of the result after Saturday.
Old 10-15-09, 11:40 PM
ssblitz
Driver School Candidate

Took my car in for an appointment today at Bell Lexus and they are going to order a new navigation screen for me.

Apparently the electronics of the screen failed and nothing can be done to it except complete replacement.

They said it be a few days for the part to come in and the install should take about 90 minutes.

Since my car only has 25k miles on it, the screen will be placed under warranty.
Old 10-15-09, 11:54 PM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by ssblitz
Took my car in for an appointment today at Bell Lexus and they are going to order a new navigation screen for me.

Apparently the electronics of the screen failed and nothing can be done to it except complete replacement.

They said it be a few days for the part to come in and the install should take about 90 minutes.

Since my car only has 25k miles on it, the screen will be placed under warranty.
Hope everything turns out fine for you, I'm taking mine in Saturday. Hope i will have the same luck.
Old 10-16-09, 08:53 AM
lilbluu
Driver

I wonder if you can order an upgrade to DVD.
Old 10-16-09, 09:18 AM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by lilbluu
I wonder if you can order an upgrade to DVD.
I'm sure anyone can order but i think it takes more than just the heat unit. Don't be surprise if you need new wire harness, new nav brain/comp, new speakers, ect....

The DVD-Navi/Video only comes with the ML package. The components might definitely be different from the regular nav package.
Old 10-16-09, 09:31 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am out of warranty and this just happened to me as well...

I have an apointment soon... does anyone know what the out of pocket cost would be for this?

I am hoping lexus will cover this under "good will" I am only 5k miles out of warranty... I hope I am not out of luck.
Old 10-16-09, 09:46 AM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by vertcobra9
I am out of warranty and this just happened to me as well...

I have an apointment soon... does anyone know what the out of pocket cost would be for this?

I am hoping lexus will cover this under "good will" I am only 5k miles out of warranty... I hope I am not out of luck.
Sorry to hear that you're out of warranty, best of luck to you cause I don't think they are cheap to replace especially dealers prices. Best bet is to bring the car in and have them look at it. I had some good luck with certain dealers before. Back in 2004, one of them replace my 2003 IS300 keyfob just for a small crack in the housing.
I didn't have too much luck lately especially after complaining about the IS350 brake dust problem, they brush me off and did nothing lol. The CL member below got a whole replacement, hopefully you will get the same treatment.

Old 10-16-09, 10:02 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess could be that the DVD navigation system disc could have a expiration date and it expired today and everything stopped working, but your car is a 07 while mines is 06. Just a wild guess.
A wildly wrong guess. The navigation disc belongs to YOU and does NOT have any expiration date affixed to it. The problem lies elsewhere.
Old 10-16-09, 10:11 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

word of warning on letting lexus check out the problem. If they determine that its out of warranty, they'll charge you a nice 300+ for labor. Trust me, I know. I shorted out my nav unit trying to do the nav hack....... had to buy a whole new thing.
Old 10-16-09, 10:27 AM
jamessinh
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
A wildly wrong guess. The navigation disc belongs to YOU and does NOT have any expiration date affixed to it. The problem lies elsewhere.
His problem is solve in post # 4
Old 10-17-09, 08:34 AM
jamessinh
Driver

Just to update some info..... I went to Arrowhead Lexus in Peoria, Arizona this morning. The service rep took a look at my car and the navi, then told me to go home. Apparently this is not a rare problem. He told me a couple of the IS have been popping up with the same problem. They are going to order me a new ML nav unit no questions ask. He proceeded to tell me it will be coming from the manufacture so it could take up 5 days. Once the unit arrives they're gonna swap it out for me.
Old 10-17-09, 10:04 PM
ssblitz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jamessinh
Just to update some info..... I went to Arrowhead Lexus in Peoria, Arizona this morning. The service rep took a look at my car and the navi, then told me to go home. Apparently this is not a rare problem. He told me a couple of the IS have been popping up with the same problem. They are going to order me a new ML nav unit no questions ask. He proceeded to tell me it will be coming from the manufacture so it could take up 5 days. Once the unit arrives they're gonna swap it out for me.
On my appointment, I had to wait for about 50 minutes or so before they could figure out that the navigation unit was bad.

I believe they disconnected the battery first to see if that would somehow make the unit respond again.

Is yours covered under warranty?
Old 10-18-09, 12:06 AM
jamessinh
Driver

On my appointment, I had to wait for about 50 minutes or so before they could figure out that the navigation unit was bad.

I believe they disconnected the battery first to see if that would somehow make the unit respond again.

Is yours covered under warranty?
Yes, as far as I know....

Quick Reply: 2007 Lexus IS350 ML Package Navigation touchscreen stops responding/working.