ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   HELP! Car won't start.. need feedback ASAP! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/717402-help-car-wont-start-need-feedback-asap.html)

ISFpat 11-12-13 09:12 PM

HELP! Car won't start.. need feedback ASAP!

Details:

-Car has never had a starting problem in its lifetime before
-This happened at 5pm today.. last time it was driven was 1pm
-Press the engine start button.. it clicks one, hangs then the speedo/tach turns off
-ALL electrical related works (lights/headlights/navi/etc)
-Battery measures at a healthy 12.6 volts
-I have been pressing on and off for 3 hours.. nothing.
-I have jump the car 4 times with tow truck and multiple cars, nothing
-Car has 70k miles. 2008 IS-F.. nothing electrical was tampered with the car.

As of now.. the possible culprit:
-Starter?
-??

PLEASE HELP.. I might need to get it towed tomorrow to dealership, but if its something simple my friend (a Lexus Tech) can do it but even he hasn't seen anything like this with any IS models.

andy350 11-12-13 09:41 PM

shake the gear shift...move it to neutral then park again...
put it in neutral and try start the car.
check battery cables...make sure they are not corroded nor loose
check water in battery...add water to battery
most likely bad starter or alternator

Good Luck

senxation 11-12-13 11:51 PM

Could it be that actuator gear bolt thing that is being recalled to get it fix? Something about on start it, it makes a sound then goes away, but sometimes this could happen I believe..

heyarms 11-13-13 04:55 AM

I had a similar issue the other day on my old is300, it was corroded cable connections. Had all power to the car working, but would only click once when i tried to start it. Good Luck.

Gville350 11-13-13 12:23 PM

Story sounds similar to another thread on here about a no-start issue. Wouldn't start, towed to dealership, dealership said they needed a fuel pump, ended up being a connector the injector driver brain/box was slightly disconnected. Reconnected and all is well. I would find any lead in the engine bay you could and wiggle it.

Also check the engine fuses!

GL!

ISFPOWER 11-13-13 12:36 PM

sounds like the starter is your problem which is kind of weird to hear on this F. might be the contacts.

tigerbalm 11-13-13 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by andy350 (Post 8234203)
shake the gear shift...move it to neutral then park again...
put it in neutral and try start the car.
check battery cables...make sure they are not corroded nor loose
check water in battery...add water to battery
most likely bad starter or alternator

Good Luck

Originally Posted by Gville350 (Post 8235072)
Story sounds similar to another thread on here about a no-start issue. Wouldn't start, towed to dealership, dealership said they needed a fuel pump, ended up being a connector the injector driver brain/box was slightly disconnected. Reconnected and all is well. I would find any lead in the engine bay you could and wiggle it.

Also check the engine fuses!

GL!

definitely a good place to start before having a mechanic look at it. Is it giving any check engine codes?

4TehNguyen 11-13-13 06:20 PM

just because you have 12V doesnt mean it has the cranking amps needed to start the car. Have the battery load tested at autozone. How old is the battery.

embolism 11-14-13 09:54 AM

the one time I had a starting issue I needed to add distilled water to a few of the cells in the original battery. Hasn't happened since (it's a 2007) and load test later came out fine.

NYKnick101 11-14-13 01:33 PM

Happens to my motorcycle batteries a lot. One of the cells in the battery goes bad and completely kills the car. It will still show a full 12 volts but wont start anything on the dash or start the car. Happens to my old car as well, culprit was the battery. Jumping the car normally would start the car but the moment you disconnect, it will cutoff.