My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related! - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013)
My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related! >

My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!

Notices
IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!

Old 11-08-13, 11:37 AM
  #1  
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
Default My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!

Ok, so I'm sure everyone has heard/read about plenty of members with NAV units having their NAV screens loosing the ability to pinpoint acutal touches on the screen and freezing. Well, my problem is a whole different issue...I believe. My problem seems to be power-related, as in a short somewhere. As you can see for yourself in my video below, the unit will cut on/off by itself and reset and throw some rather odd white/black-checkered screens. Also note that around the 9:20 mark in the video you can see a screen I've only caught a few times previously; lucky for me it happened on the day I was recording this! I'll call it the "power consumption" screen. Here is the link to the video; points of interest are the following - :50, 2:25, 3:25, 3:55, 9:20, 13:10, 15:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64wr9...ature=youtu.be

Anyhow, I've emailed my Lexus service advisor this video this morning (video was taken just yesterday) and have yet to hear from him. But I spoke with him yesterday after I took the vid and told him I would send him the link. I'm scheduled to arrive at the dealership this afternoon where they are going to be checking various things. I'm not going to fork out monies for a new unit; if anything, I'm hoping to get Lexus will goodwill the fix or at least tell me what the issue is so I can fix myself.

In the meantime, I've created this thread (as there are at least three members I know of with VERY similar issues as mine) and I hope to share the knowledge of the results of my visit with EVERYONE. I will post back up as soon as I know something.

Thoughts/opinions on my issue....feel free to post/comment!
Gville350 is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 02:11 PM
  #2  
kentaro
Lead Lap
iTrader: (5)
 
kentaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA OC
Posts: 486
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have this exact same issue with mine as well.
I wasn't sure if this was same issue as "frozen navigation" or not
(as seen on this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-fix-diy.html)

My car is also 2006 with original navigation disc
(I opted not to upgrade in order to keep my override function)

It happens so randomly and not enough (knock on wood) for me to seriously get it fixed
To OP, thanks for posting and keep us updated.
kentaro is online now  
Old 11-08-13, 05:15 PM
  #3  
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Well, not sure what I expected from Lexus to tell me, but the service advisor hands me this and says you need a new NAV screen.



Guess I'll try my hand at the DIY circuit writing and see what that does.
Gville350 is offline  
Old 11-09-13, 06:12 PM
  #4  
DSzabo517
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gville350 View Post
Ok, so I'm sure everyone has heard/read about plenty of members with NAV units having their NAV screens loosing the ability to pinpoint acutal touches on the screen and freezing. Well, my problem is a whole different issue...I believe. My problem seems to be power-related, as in a short somewhere. As you can see for yourself in my video below, the unit will cut on/off by itself and reset and throw some rather odd white/black-checkered screens. Also note that around the 9:20 mark in the video you can see a screen I've only caught a few times previously; lucky for me it happened on the day I was recording this! I'll call it the "power consumption" screen. Here is the link to the video; points of interest are the following - :50, 2:25, 3:25, 3:55, 9:20, 13:10, 15:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64wr9...ature=youtu.be

Anyhow, I've emailed my Lexus service advisor this video this morning (video was taken just yesterday) and have yet to hear from him. But I spoke with him yesterday after I took the vid and told him I would send him the link. I'm scheduled to arrive at the dealership this afternoon where they are going to be checking various things. I'm not going to fork out monies for a new unit; if anything, I'm hoping to get Lexus will goodwill the fix or at least tell me what the issue is so I can fix myself.

In the meantime, I've created this thread (as there are at least three members I know of with VERY similar issues as mine) and I hope to share the knowledge of the results of my visit with EVERYONE. I will post back up as soon as I know something.

Thoughts/opinions on my issue....feel free to post/comment!
Hi....I have 2007 IS 250, and overall, it's been the best car I have ever owned. I have over 206K miles on my car. A week and a half ago, I left my car at JFK's long term parking and went on a 5 day vacation. When I got back and got into my car, my navi system was frozen. Now I can't change the fan speed, use my bluetooth from the screen or use my navigation system. Living in the Northeast, I can get through the winter, but once it gets hot, I can't put my AC on. In reading through posts, this seems like a costly problem. My car still runs really well, but with this amount of mileage, I really don't want to put thousands of dollars out to fix this. Can anyone else who has had this problem let me know what their experience has been?
DSzabo517 is offline  
Old 11-09-13, 07:32 PM
  #5  
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
Default

^Not sure if you are DIY-inclined, but check this thread out for a possible fix to that problem :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-fix-diy.html

Unlike your problem, my unit does still work from time to time; I just got back from getting pizza and it was on and working 100% correctly.
Gville350 is offline  
Old 11-09-13, 10:10 PM
  #6  
TEXIS250
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My touchscreen froze up and would not respond at all either. I tried the circuit writer pen fix but it was unsuccessful. I then ordered the digitizer only without the screen from the supplier listed below and now it works great., no more issues. What a relief...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3-INCH-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Panel-Replacement-FOR-Lexus-IS300-IS250-IS350-/331037232750?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item4d135b4e6e
TEXIS250 is offline  
Old 11-10-13, 07:07 PM
  #7  
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
Default

^Did you remove the original or stick it over the original? Was it the same size or smaller than the original? Is the end of the ribbon there the same the original?

Thx!
Gville350 is offline  
Old 12-02-13, 07:15 PM
  #8  
yardie876
Lexus Champion
 
yardie876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 3,356
Thanked 61 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Wow you're driving a hybrid and you aint even know it lol. It def does seem like a power issue, especially if you cannot change the AC or radio with the physical buttons.
yardie876 is offline  
Old 12-02-13, 07:22 PM
  #9  
Raybean
Pole Position
iTrader: (3)
 
Raybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 340
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gville350 View Post
Well, not sure what I expected from Lexus to tell me, but the service advisor hands me this and says you need a new NAV screen.



Guess I'll try my hand at the DIY circuit writing and see what that does.
i believe the dealer do not service these. they will only replace them.
Raybean is offline  
Old 12-21-13, 11:16 AM
  #10  
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
Default

***UPDATE*** Well, I now have a fully functional NAV unit once again! I wish the fix was by what I had done or that it was cheap...but it wasn't. I sourced a good, working '08 NAV unit from a Craigslist seller that works with salvage Lexus stuff. He was advertising a complete '08 IS350 motor/trans for $2700 and said that he has a lot of other parts from it...one being the NAV unit. I threw out a low offer of $400, and he said he'd take it...but only if I gave him my "bad" NAV unit. GLADLY! So I swapped out the NAV at his place, and now I'm now again running at 100%! MEGA EPIC Christmas gift to myself!
Gville350 is offline  
Old 12-21-13, 07:04 PM
  #11  
Nsteezyy
Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gville350 View Post
***UPDATE*** Well, I now have a fully functional NAV unit once again! I wish the fix was by what I had done or that it was cheap...but it wasn't. I sourced a good, working '08 NAV unit from a Craigslist seller that works with salvage Lexus stuff. He was advertising a complete '08 IS350 motor/trans for $2700 and said that he has a lot of other parts from it...one being the NAV unit. I threw out a low offer of $400, and he said he'd take it...but only if I gave him my "bad" NAV unit. GLADLY! So I swapped out the NAV at his place, and now I'm now again running at 100%! MEGA EPIC Christmas gift to myself!
That's great news! I guess a few of us got s*** units LOL.
Ill most likely be asking for a Navi unit for x-mas i guess
Thanks for the update man!
Nsteezyy is offline  
Old 12-22-13, 12:46 PM
  #12  
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
Default

^Well, electronics in vehicles that are susceptible to extreme heat/cold and constant vibrations, it's no wonder it happens. But just wish it didn't happen so frequent in the 2IS model.

If you're contemplating sending out your NAV unit to someone to fix it, try this guy online on ebay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181233571755...84.m1423.l2649

A member (aira) posted in my other thread that he had his repaired by him :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8291988-post29.html
Gville350 is offline  
Old 07-26-16, 10:24 AM
  #13  
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: new jersey
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So I am new here and trying to help my girlfriend out with her car. It is a 2007 and once in a while the screen will kick on but says check system but lately in the pass month or so it hasn't done anything. The dealer told her that wanted to rip her carpet up first to see if there was any water damage causing this issue then next would check out other things costing over 2500 to not even be sure what the actual issue is. I told her not to do anything till i did some research, but we need to act soon the temps have been reaching close to 100 and not being able to control the air is taking a toll. After reading a few threads and watching videos it seems it could be either the screen itself or the ECU system. I am going to guess that the only way to figure out which one it is, by removing the system and start checking. It seems to be bit more intense then just removing a few screws to get to the screen is it harder than it looks?
EJW1381 is offline  
Old 07-26-16, 04:12 PM
  #14  
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
Default

If you're experiencing more closer to what I've posted in this video, it's more than likely a power supply issue than a screen issue. In which case either source another NAV unit OR seek out one of the ebay repair folks. I recommend this gentlemen that has repaired quite a few of our members NAV units with positive results :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS250-...pXfwY8&vxp=mtr

If you determine it's a screen issue, you can follow this DIY to help with accessing the screen : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-fix-diy.html
Gville350 is offline  
Old 07-28-16, 06:40 AM
  #15  
EJW1381
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: new jersey
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I did see about ebay option, I will tell her about and see what she thinks. I don't see it being a bad deal especially for the fraction of the cost. I am pretty sure after looking yesterday it is the ECU and needs to be replaced. Thanks
EJW1381 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: