IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!

Old 10-19-16, 09:12 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by EJW1381
Have you done this already? Or do know someone that can? I looked into and this doesn't seem like a job for me. I usually tackle many things but this one I may stay out of.
I did rebuilt more than 10 units have same problem already. You could try to buy the board but their warranty is only 30 days. PM me for more info
Old 10-28-16, 12:48 PM
txnarn
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nav issues unrelated to Digitizer/Screen

Hi, I just wanted to chime in here as I recently acquired a 2008 IS350 that had about 88K miles at the time of purchase (approximately a little over a month ago). Within about two weeks of purchasing the car, I experienced the same issues as described by Gville350. The navigation screen would fizzle out and I could no longer control my climate. I tried disconnecting the battery which worked once, but all subsequent times the climate controls would be inaccessible due to the blank screen. None of the buttons surrounding the Nav screen would work.

I followed the DIY steps to replace the digitizer last Saturday. That did not work. However, the screen did come on on its own about a day and a half later, and so long as I left the climate controls on Auto before powering the car off, it would work when I turned it on. That said, it's hard to say how reliable it would be. I then obtained a used Nav unit on eBay that was available locally—it had a broken screen/digitizer—for $400 (made a low offer), and received the unit a few days ago. With the help of a friend, I tried switching out just the logic board behind the screen/digitizer last night. No cigar.

Today, we tried replacing simply the front face unit which has buttons to Map, Audio, Climate, etc. That also didn't work. As a last ditch effort, I swapped the "brains" behind the acquired digitizer to the original unit, and then used the eBay acquired front face unit and it worked!! So if you're having the issues described by Gville350 and not the unresponsive touchscreen, I would definitely focus obtaining a working board for one of those components. That said, the new digitizer definitely was much sharper than the older one.

I also had been quoted about $8-9K for the Nav unit by the dealership (car was purchased for $15.7K or so)—absolutely ridiculous. I believe my problem was related to a short somewhere on one of the PC boards (either behind the digitizer or the one connected/behind the front face unit).
Old 10-31-16, 02:16 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the main board today and brought it into work for inspection and X-ray. neither visual inspection nor X-ray could find any defects. My X-ray machine cannot detect cracked solder joints, so it's possible the fault is a cracked joint under the BGA device. I'm having this device re-soldered and I'll try to plug it back in tonight. fingers crossed
Old 10-31-16, 02:25 PM
txnarn
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I must have jinxed myself because not even two days later, my screen started fitzing out again, exactly as before... If someone is able to successfully do the soldering/reball of the BGA, could you please PM me or post on here what you did?
Old 11-01-16, 12:39 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
I pulled the main board today and brought it into work for inspection and X-ray. neither visual inspection nor X-ray could find any defects. My X-ray machine cannot detect cracked solder joints, so it's possible the fault is a cracked joint under the BGA device. I'm having this device re-soldered and I'll try to plug it back in tonight. fingers crossed
If it comes down to a re-solder job that fixes the "BGA", we'll be forever grateful if you post up your results AND where you re-flowed some solder and on which joints.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-16, 11:28 AM
txnarn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
If it comes down to a re-solder job that fixes the "BGA", we'll be forever grateful if you post up your results AND where you re-flowed some solder and on which joints.

Good luck!
Can anyone confirm whether the BGA or CPU is identified on the circuit board as V2G? I'm going to try this re-soldering fix if I can get this part substantiated... Thanks!
Old 11-08-16, 11:18 AM
txnarn
Driver School Candidate

I figured out which pcboard needs to be reballed. It's the unit behind the denso warranty sticker, with a heatsink attached to it. I tried reapplying thermal paste to the heatsink, but no go. I also tried what another user had recommended on a different thread of heating the board with a heat gun to re-bond the components to the board. That was also unsuccessful. I did find a shop locally that could reball the BGA, but quoted me anywhere from $100-$180. The board can be bought from China for about $330 including shipping. At this point my navigation will flash on and off intermittently. At least I've been able to adjust my climate controls. I'm still mulling over whether to try and have the board repaired or just to buy the new one. I may just wait and see what success others have from ordering the board from China.
Old 11-08-16, 02:25 PM
Gville350

Can you get a picture of the exact board and where you believe the failure is on that board?
Old 11-08-16, 02:33 PM
txnarn
Driver School Candidate

Here's a picture of the board from a seller in China. I took that piece off, cleaned it, and applied thermal paste. But apparently, for EE/Circuit board pros, this is the part that needs to be "reballed." I spoke to another user who did something similar without success. Unsure if he actually reballed it (believe it requires a specialized machine to perform this task).
Attached Thumbnails My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!-lexus-denso-11082016.png  
Old 11-08-16, 03:13 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I also attempted to reflow the BGA part under the heat sink. The unit worked for about 5 minutes, during which I took the opportunity to turn back on my AC and blower fan. So the good news I suppose is that this little adventure proved it is that device on that board which is defective. The bad news is that my success was short lived.
Old 11-08-16, 10:21 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Heating up the BGA will not resolve your problem for good cause the soldering they are using. Basically, you would need to remove the BGA completely and re-ball the BGA before mounting it back to the PCB. Of course right heat and right solder paste is needed. Also, If you are just trying to heat it up to temp fixed, You would need to cover the surrounding area with aluminum foil so heat doesn't burn components around it. You would need to apply the heat on top and bottom as the same time as well.
Old 11-09-16, 01:56 PM
Gville350

Can you detail exactly what is meant by "re-bal the BGA"? I taught myself how to solder...poorly, but I can get the job done. But I'm unfamiliar with this term.
Old 11-09-16, 02:07 PM
txnarn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Can you detail exactly what is meant by "re-bal the BGA"? I taught myself how to solder...poorly, but I can get the job done. But I'm unfamiliar with this term.
I'm not entirely sure myself, but according to http://eu.finetech.de/advanced-rewor...reballing.html it's the "accurate replacement of a new array of solder spheres." For our purposes, I don't think this can be accomplished without a specialized Reball Machine. The company I contacted specifically works on this for circuit board mfg's when they mess up. The only reason I'm on the fence is bc he wasn't sure if it would cost $100 or $180, depending on the complexity of the reball. If it's $180, I might be better served by just ordering the part from China, especially since if I took the board out of my car, I'd definitely be without any climate controls for at least a week while they work on it.
Old 11-10-16, 02:22 PM
Gville350

^Yeah, if it anything as small as what they've got pictured there...yeah, I'm screwed. The best I've done is fixing a couple main relays on a 5th gen Honda Civic; and even those weren't pretty. LOL!
Old 11-11-16, 10:22 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Yes, rework on BGA is not fun at all. You need a lot of time and patient to get the job done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My '06 2IS NAV unit issues...NOT touchscreen related!