IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Premature wear tire shoulder - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 07:41 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

A couple days ago I got my tires replaced after 25K miles. The inner part of the tires is completely worn out while the outer side of the tire still have about 2.5mm left. The rear tires has 3mm and they were even. I ask for an alignment. The sheet below is what the dealer did

Is there any numbers there should be adjusted to reduce inner wear on the front tires? After the alignment and tire replacement, the car does handle little better.
Attached Thumbnails Premature wear tire shoulder -  Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus-imgp3681.jpg  
Old 11-01-13, 11:17 PM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...0-duro-hp.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eo-inside.html

Last edited by ChickenIS; 11-01-13 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 01:25 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the difference between the front lower arm rear mount and FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM POLYURETHANE BUSHING CAMBER ADJUSTMENT?

and which one of these should I buy to fix the inner tire wear issue ?
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=197
or
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=138

Last edited by panda327; 11-02-13 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-02-13, 12:42 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I think the link to the second is the one. GEN 2IS IS-F 3GS FRONT LOWER ARM REAR MOUNT #2 POLYURETHANE BUSHING 90 HIGH PERFORMANCE

The picture seems to match those in the other thread -- I'm interested in this as well ... Does anyone know it will affect alignment? I just got an alignment :/
Old 11-02-13, 03:55 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Has anyone found a fix to this? Im over 50k miles on my Lexus IS 350 and am on my 3rd round of tires. The stock dunlop tires that came with my car were the WORST. I had to take them off almost before I reached 25k. The next set I chose were Eagle F1 All seasons. These seemed to last longer than the dunlop & I think I reached around 35k but you could see the wires sticking out on the inner part of the tire. This was only on the front two tires like many of you have mentioned, the rear tires were actually still in decent condition. Currently I am running Hankooks but what can we do to get around the inner tire wear to get more mileage off our tires?
Old 11-02-13, 06:19 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered the bushing... i hope its worth the $210 ><
Old 11-03-13, 07:24 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is a bad Lexus desing in my opinion. Get another

car , is probably the fix. That's what I'm thinking of doing. My camry never had these problems not matter what type of tire.
Originally Posted by Pivo154
Has anyone found a fix to this? Im over 50k miles on my Lexus IS 350 and am on my 3rd round of tires. The stock dunlop tires that came with my car were the WORST. I had to take them off almost before I reached 25k. The next set I chose were Eagle F1 All seasons. These seemed to last longer than the dunlop & I think I reached around 35k but you could see the wires sticking out on the inner part of the tire. This was only on the front two tires like many of you have mentioned, the rear tires were actually still in decent condition. Currently I am running Hankooks but what can we do to get around the inner tire wear to get more mileage off our tires?
Old 11-03-13, 07:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
Hello all,

Took my car in for an oil change today and the tech guy told me my front tires shoulders are almost bald. I was very surprised as these tires are only less than 2.5 years old with less than 35k km. I took a look with him and to my surprise it looks pretty bad. The rears are fine with plenty of tread tho.

Anyone else with these tires have the same issue ?
Had the same thing with my Michellins. But they were replacements for the OEM Bridgestones, so Michellin covered 41% of the replacement cost of a new set of Michellins under the 45K mi tread wear warranty.
Old 11-03-13, 07:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So I took it to Kal Tire yesterday as instructed by Michellin for a diagnois and safe to say I was no impressed. Not only did they not care about the chunking on the tire, all they did was blame my alignment for the problem. There is no way my alignment can be that off to cause both front tire to be bald on both shoulder AND chunking. All Kal Tire did was try to sell me an unnecessary alignment.

I can't believe MIchellin is not acknowledging this issue. This has gotten to be a safety concern and they are trying to play it off like its nothing.
Got my Michellins at Costco. Brought my paperwork that showed I had an alignments and regular rotations. They replaced them under the pro-rated tread wear warranty.
Old 11-03-13, 07:49 PM
Farhat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carlos3366
car , is probably the fix. That's what I'm thinking of doing. My camry never had these problems not matter what type of tire.
The reason your Camry does not do this , is because you can rotate the tires, and it does not run the amount of camber that these Is350's run. The edge wear is from the camber and the lack of not being able to rotate the tires.. The chunking though looks like it is a problem of the tire or driving on a lot of gravel. Hope that helps whoever is still looking at this for answers.
Old 11-03-13, 08:11 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hm... interesting. I had the same thing happen to on bridgestones but thought it was b/c the toe was off (confirmed during alignment after buying new tires). Pics below:

Premature wear tire shoulder -  Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus-xmgztxg.jpg

Premature wear tire shoulder -  Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus-ddjobwv.jpg
Old 11-03-13, 10:08 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Whats the difference between the front lower arm rear mount and FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM POLYURETHANE BUSHING CAMBER ADJUSTMENT?

and which one of these should I buy to fix the inner tire wear issue ?
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=197
or
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=138
quote from bushing page: " It also will reduce inner tire wear due to toe deflection under braking"

You can also align for slight toe-in...
Old 11-05-13, 08:21 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I just ordered the bushing... i hope its worth the $210 ><
Let me know how this goes mr. panda. I wonder if it improves handling or performance over bumps. The other posts indicates that it might improve?

With parts and labor, I can almost buy 4 new tires ... if my front tires wears out as good as my rear tires, it would add at most 10K miles; so I would have to change my tires twice to recoup the cost ...
Old 11-08-13, 09:31 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

ANy ideas on a fix for wear? Also, arent these tires we are using only meant to last around 25k anyways? Or can they last up to 30-40k?
Old 11-09-13, 11:05 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Let me know how this goes mr. panda. I wonder if it improves handling or performance over bumps. The other posts indicates that it might improve?

With parts and labor, I can almost buy 4 new tires ... if my front tires wears out as good as my rear tires, it would add at most 10K miles; so I would have to change my tires twice to recoup the cost ...
I got the figs bushing installed. Steering feels alot more stable and tight now. On uneven roads, my steering wheel would jump all over the place, especially braking. Now, the steering and the car tracks straight as a needle. I have alot more confidence in the car now.

I will write a longer review on the Figs front LCA bushing as I put more mileage on the car. So far, I think it is a worthy upgrade. Though, it is an expensive one.

Quick Reply: Premature wear tire shoulder - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus