IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gear recall released!

Old 10-14-13, 02:03 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ............

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
This might be a dumb question but does the oil need to be drained while doing this recall?
I have that same question because mine is almost due for an oil change and I wont do it if it will be part of the fix????

Anyone???
Old 10-14-13, 02:16 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without the details of what all they replace, it's just hard to gauge stuff. They quoted me a bit over $700. If you got a $600 quote for parts, then mine doesn't seem too bad. The full price they quoted me is over $2k, but they were giving me a break with the recall labor, and since the same dealer did this repair a little while back. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not getting hosed while thinking I'm being treated well.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 10-14-13, 02:38 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
I have that same question because mine is almost due for an oil change and I wont do it if it will be part of the fix????

Anyone???
I know when they replaced my timing chain cover they had to remove all the oil and put brand new in.
Old 10-14-13, 03:48 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clarify, this recall is at NO COST to owner correct? Unless requesting additional work to be done at same time of recall work.
Old 10-14-13, 04:17 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS

Anyone???
GSKaplan answered the back on post #50. Answer was no they do not need to change the oil.
Old 10-14-13, 05:42 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Just to clarify, this recall is at NO COST to owner correct? Unless requesting additional work to be done at same time of recall work.
Correct. No cost to owners.
Old 10-14-13, 05:48 PM
flameazn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSKaplan
also note, as a benefit to those with higher mileage these are also being replaced along with the gears.

What you mean by high mileage? My car has around 96k, will I have this benefit for this mileage?
Old 10-14-13, 06:22 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
I see that the timing chain cover gasket is included in the list of parts used. I was told mine is leaking and they are charging me to have it replaced when while this recall service is being done. I would imagine the timing chain cover has to come off anyway for this recall. Any idea how much overlapping labor is being done between those two services? If I'm getting hosed on this, I'm going to be making another call.
Pictures always help:

The "Timing Chain Cover Gasket" that is included in the recall is the tensioner access window gasket. Because the chain has to come off of the gears the tensioner is removed to allow slack in the chain. The recall is performed WITH THE TIMING COVER IN PLACE. So it won't fix any prior oil leaks from the timing cover.

The actual gasket that is between the timing cover and the engine block is FIPG (form in place gasket). It is a black silicone sealant. When the timing cover has to be removed to be resealed it is a lot more work involved. Step 1 of the procedure is REMOVE ENGINE. Some dealerships got creative and were able to have brackets machined to hold the engine in the bay while the SUBFRAME holding the STEERING RACK, SWAY BAR, and OIL PANS are removed. again none of this is apart of the recall it is how we reseal the timing cover , but all in all it is definitely more involved than what this recall entails.

HOWEVER, what is done in the recall could be considered 1/2 of the labor it is to reseal a timing cover because you have to remove the top end components and the only thing that is left is the subframe...etc.

I hope this helps clarify what and how these repairs are performed.
Old 10-14-13, 07:00 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chuy250
Sucks for the IS250 owners and I am one of them. What about the rattle for the IS250's? Mine has 64,xxx miles and started 60,xxx miles to make that noise.
I'm not sure why they only decided to recall only the 350s (2gr) cam gears. I do know that it is a different cam gear than the 250 (4gr). The camshafts and valve springs are also not designed the same. So that being said, this would be my best guess as to why:

They both rattle- YES
Is the rattle violent enough to cause bolts to back out on the 350(2gr) - YES there are reported cases

Is the rattle violent enough to cause bolts to back out of the 250(4gr) - Unknown - I haven't read or heard anything as of yet.

Factor in the corporate bean counter liability math = only 350 can be dangerous?.

I truly hope they decide to include the 250s in this recall regardless because a vehicle shouldn't have a death rattle.

If I hear any changes you guys will be first to know.

NONE OF THIS IS VERIFIED OR ENDORSED BY LEXUS IT IS JUST MY OPINION.

I AM JUST A LEXUS MASTER CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN WITH A LOT OF EXPERIENCE THAT BELIEVES CUSTOMERS SHOULD HAVE COMPLETE AND FULL DISCLOSURE ABOUT THEIR VEHICLE......
Old 10-14-13, 07:16 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

What is considered high mileage ? im at 129xxx miles on my 06 is350.

Went to lexus of memphis to get diagnostics done. Apart from my water pump they said i need to change my valve cover gasket on both sides.

I told him that will be done during the recall at no cost to me yet he insisted that, i will still incur costs for the parts and labor because the recall does not cover everything ?

Part numbers Quoted :
LE11213-31040 - $39.20
LE22324-31020 - $21.56

Labor - $709.50

He was hell bent that the recall will not cover it. I just want a technicians input on this before i lash out at them. Looking at the attachments in previous posts the above are provided during the recall at no costs to the owner of the vehicle.
Old 10-14-13, 07:32 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Offspring
What is considered high mileage ? im at 129xxx miles on my 06 is350.

Went to lexus of memphis to get diagnostics done. Apart from my water pump they said i need to change my valve cover gasket on both sides.

I told him that will be done during the recall at no cost to me yet he insisted that, i will still incur costs for the parts and labor because the recall does not cover everything ?

Part numbers Quoted :
LE11213-31040 - $39.20
LE22324-31020 - $21.56

Labor - $709.50

He was hell bent that the recall will not cover it. I just want a technicians input on this before i lash out at them. Looking at the attachments in previous posts the above are provided during the recall at no costs to the owner of the vehicle.
The water pump and gasket are NOT included in the recall, but the valve cover gaskets come in the recall kit as you can see. So to me the gentlemen seems a little more than misinformed. I don't understand where the $709.50 labor is coming from. He sure as hell better not be trying to be charging you labor to replace valve cover gaskets when that IS included in the recall. I can't say about the labor of the water pump. Like I said, its on the front cover and not a part of the recall.

That is why I mentioned the parts list - its at least a bonus to those with leaking valve cover gaskets.

Things like this make me angry. Everyone at the dealership in contact with the customer has a responsibility to be informed on all of this or at least the gumption to say "I'm not 100% sure of that answer let me check that for you."

print the part list or ask him to provide one to you of all the parts in the recall. In no way should it be proprietary, it is after all what they are planning to do to YOUR vehicle.
Old 10-14-13, 07:57 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

here is a copy of what he quoted me. I totally understand the water pump which i will pay for. But the valve cover gasket from should be covered under the recall.

Valve Cover

Water Pump

Last edited by Offspring; 10-14-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 08:22 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

(if your vehicle is applicable for the recall) The valve covers come off during the repair, the valve cover gaskets are replaced. I would take your concerns directly to the service manager, that is just plain dishonest. Tell them to eat the labor for the spark plugs while they do the recall, or take your business elsewhere altogether.

Last edited by GSKaplan; 10-14-13 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 08:34 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

The recall applies. I checked online and was informed of it when my i scheduled the appointment. Lexus of Memphis is 1.5 hours away. the next closes dealership is 2.5 hours away. Im gonna talk to the service manager and see what can be done.

i usually only service at lexus of akron canton but since im stuck in Mississippi, i have no other option but to get my water pump fixed before driving another 15 hours to ohio.

Thank you for your insight. It is much appreciated.
Old 10-15-13, 12:16 AM
tiny2009
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSKaplan
Pictures always help:

The "Timing Chain Cover Gasket" that is included in the recall is the tensioner access window gasket. Because the chain has to come off of the gears the tensioner is removed to allow slack in the chain. The recall is performed WITH THE TIMING COVER IN PLACE. So it won't fix any prior oil leaks from the timing cover.

The actual gasket that is between the timing cover and the engine block is FIPG (form in place gasket). It is a black silicone sealant. When the timing cover has to be removed to be resealed it is a lot more work involved. Step 1 of the procedure is REMOVE ENGINE. Some dealerships got creative and were able to have brackets machined to hold the engine in the bay while the SUBFRAME holding the STEERING RACK, SWAY BAR, and OIL PANS are removed. again none of this is apart of the recall it is how we reseal the timing cover , but all in all it is definitely more involved than what this recall entails.

HOWEVER, what is done in the recall could be considered 1/2 of the labor it is to reseal a timing cover because you have to remove the top end components and the only thing that is left is the subframe...etc.

I hope this helps clarify what and how these repairs are performed.
Legend, thanks man. This makes a lot more sense now, I was imagining the recall was an engine out jobbie but obviously not. That's put my mind as ease.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam gear recall released!