IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paint Repair--Is it possible to match Starfire Pearl?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 07:00 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Repair--Is it possible to match Starfire Pearl?

Those who have Starfire Pearl or Crystal White or Glacier Frost Mica. What is your experience in regard to paint matching when you ever have to repaint your car?

I had my 2010 Starfire Pearl painted and found the paint match is slightly off. The newly painted area are brighter than the rest of the body.

I just wonder if this is me being too much picky or the paintshop not doing fine job of paint matching before spraying on to the car.

I have heard from some people that it is IMPOSSIBLE to perfectly match the white paint, especially ones with pealescent effect mixed in.

Your thought, experience and suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by SCWB; 09-09-13 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 07:32 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a painter I can tell you I'd never buy a white pearl for myself just for that reason. If your car had panels blended on it then you are not out of line complaining if you can see a difference. If you just have a bumper painted it's reasonable to expect it to be about as close as the opposite bumper. Plasric parts are often a couple shades off.

I can tell the 074 owners that PPG's Envirobase matches your color dead nuts on. One of the best 3-stage matches I've ever seen.
Old 09-09-13, 07:36 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you feel dissatisfy, i would totally agree with going back and asking them to repaint it.

With that said, it is impossible to match a pearl white. I have had body kits painted, and even after 2-3 tries, its still impossible to match perfectly. I have accepted this to a certain extent. I still go back when i feel the paintmatch is too off but im not ever expecting it to be perfect
Old 09-09-13, 07:47 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend did a rear bumper conversion to and IS-F rear bumper earlier this year. The body shop I recommended he go to that I get my stuff painted got his 7 year old Starfire Pearl color almost perfectly matched. They used Standox paint and had to charge him extra for the Pearl finish though.
Old 09-09-13, 08:08 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Charging for 3 stage is pretty standard. The second layer of basecoat is more material and more labor. Glad your shop got good results for you and your friend.
Old 09-09-13, 08:19 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Hi. Thank you all for your kind comments.

On ColtM4A3; What do you mean by 3-stage paint?

Is 077 (Starfire Pearl) a 3-Stage?
Old 09-10-13, 03:41 AM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Yes 077 is 3 stage. A white basecoat goes down first. Then a pearl mid coat. In addition to having to match the white base, the color match is affected by the number of coats of mid you put down.
Old 09-10-13, 06:35 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Colt.
Old 09-11-13, 05:17 AM
Paul@howeyindustries.com
Pole Position

SFP is very difficult to color match. Also keep in mind that the paint that is currently on your car may be slightly faded from being in the sun compared to a freshly painted part.

If the body shop is good, they should be able to almost match it.
Old 09-11-13, 10:52 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had my rear end repainted on my Starfire. Paint matched up good but the clear coat has some serious issues i need to have addressed. I had it done at Longo if that matters.
Old 09-11-13, 07:00 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Have to tell you that, after 3-4 months, the repainted area gets darker and now the paint match is getting better with the rest of the car. Still slightly brighter than the old paint but slowly is getting closer (I feel it that way).

So, from this observation. Is it correct for the painter to mix the paint slightly brighter to compensate with the aging of the paint?

In my example, Had the painter were able to match the paint from day one, would the repainted panel get darker and darker which after a period of time and the paint matching will be finally off?
Old 09-11-13, 07:54 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCWB
Have to tell you that, after 3-4 months, the repainted area gets darker and now the paint match is getting better with the rest of the car. Still slightly brighter than the old paint but slowly is getting closer (I feel it that way).

So, from this observation. Is it correct for the painter to mix the paint slightly brighter to compensate with the aging of the paint?

In my example, Had the painter were able to match the paint from day one, would the repainted panel get darker and darker which after a period of time and the paint matching will be finally off?
My paint never got darker, well it did, but it was because it got dirty haha. Once i wash the car, i can see the paint difference if i look closely.
Old 12-22-15, 06:07 AM
Cruiseman
Rookie

I just had my SPF rear bumper replaced and painted and it has a very obvious blue tint compared to the rest of the car, even compared to the front bumper. The new bumper also does not line up correctly with the body panels.
Old 12-22-15, 09:23 AM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColtM4A3
As a painter I can tell you I'd never buy a white pearl for myself just for that reason. If your car had panels blended on it then you are not out of line complaining if you can see a difference. If you just have a bumper painted it's reasonable to expect it to be about as close as the opposite bumper. Plasric parts are often a couple shades off.

I can tell the 074 owners that PPG's Envirobase matches your color dead nuts on. One of the best 3-stage matches I've ever seen.
Thanks for that...I have 074 (GFM) and need my rear bumper repainted. I have been putting it off because I'm afraid of the results. I got touch up from Lexus and it comes out clear and dries to "kind of" match, but still noticeable. Is PPG Envirobase available to any paint/body shop, or do they need licensing?
The following users liked this post:
dynalee33 (10-14-19)
Old 12-22-15, 09:10 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

I had a bad scratch (scratched against garage door when pulling into garage) on my rear quarter panel that required repainting/blending the area.

I took it back to the highly reputable established paint shop three times to be repainted.

Finally gave up on expecting a near-perfect match and just accepted it. Kinda difficult since I'm so **** about my cars being clean, polished, and always looking as new as possible.

So I will say "No, it isn't possible to get a perfect match.@

Car was 2 years old when this happened.

Quick Reply: Paint Repair--Is it possible to match Starfire Pearl?