IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AC Shutting Off...

Old 09-04-13, 10:36 AM
showtymers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your compressor is turning off randomly, there is a few things causing it
1. ambient temp outside is exceedingly hot and creating higher pressure in the line then normal/ which is also associated to elevation also
2. compressor is low on freon
3. compressor can be abnormally defective
4 also very hard driving on hotter days can cause the compressor to shut off because of the pressure being applied while its on
Old 09-04-13, 11:32 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

#1 might be the reason I noticed my AC a few times.
Old 09-05-13, 05:34 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

I replaced my cabin air filter and engine air filter and the problem persists. I am talking ot the dealership about bringing it in now (unfortunately they do not have the hardware for the recall yet). I will post with whatever they find.
Old 05-29-14, 10:35 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

anyone solve this problem? im sure its a correlation between the fan and a temp sensor. the compressor never turns off but my car will blow hot air for miles its not just a couple seconds. ive gone trips where the a/c is on but no cold air. I hate noticed if i down shift and heat up the engine the high speed stage of the fan comes on and then the air becomes cool again. once the engine cools to "ideal temp" then it blows hot air again. its killing me here in SFL with these humid days.
Old 05-29-14, 10:37 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by parallon
Hello all. I have a 2008 IS 250 . I noticed tonight while sitting in a parking lot with the AC on that after a couple of minutes, the AC started blowing out warmer air. After a minute, I turned the AC to off and then back to Auto. It immediately started blowing out cold air. Within another couple of minutes, it happened again. The outside temp was about 95 degrees. On the way home later, I never had a problem. It seems to only happen when I am not moving. Any idea what might be causing this?

I have also observed sometimes when starting the car, it will start blowing out cooler air with about 5 seconds, and other times it will blow out hot air for about 20 seconds before there is any noticeable cooling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Hey Mike, I was having the same problem. The dealer sucked out all the freon , put in a dye, filled it back up and not it works perfect!
Old 05-29-14, 10:43 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

i had my mechanic hook i up the machine and flush it and it happened a few hours later. i was there during the testing. no pressure loss and freon i fine. i couldn't replicate the issue when i was there though.
Old 05-29-14, 09:40 PM
Rx79394
Driver School Candidate

I am going out on a limb.... Pressure switches may be bad, or cut off every once in a while causing the compressor clutch to disengage and not turning.

It would help to see if you are driving with the AC going and when it cuts off, see if you can hear the AC compressor shut off.

My first guess would have been that the R-134A would have been low... However, some people have said that wasn't the issue. I don't know if our cars have a "sight hole" to see if it is full on refrigerant.
Old 05-30-14, 03:16 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rx79394
I am going out on a limb.... Pressure switches may be bad, or cut off every once in a while causing the compressor clutch to disengage and not turning.

It would help to see if you are driving with the AC going and when it cuts off, see if you can hear the AC compressor shut off.

My first guess would have been that the R-134A would have been low... However, some people have said that wasn't the issue. I don't know if our cars have a "sight hole" to see if it is full on refrigerant.
im thinking its the switches but it will be hard to tell. i know there is one right next to valve on the the a/c line behind the grill but i wouldnt know which one it is and how to test it. but its getting gradually worse now i cant downshift to get the a/c to kick in. but the compressor is running when the switch is on. thats the first thing i checked
Old 05-30-14, 04:18 PM
AKhanis350
Driver

I didn't read the full thread but I had this issue as well...

Make sure your Radiator and reservoir are both topped off with coolant.... not sure that the correlation is, but it worked and have not had the issue since.... since it has not been mentioned, try it and report back...
Old 06-02-14, 03:20 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AKhanis350
I didn't read the full thread but I had this issue as well...

Make sure your Radiator and reservoir are both topped off with coolant.... not sure that the correlation is, but it worked and have not had the issue since.... since it has not been mentioned, try it and report back...
Just filled it. It was barely filled to the bottom of the reservoir so we will see. Today before i filled it i got it to turn on by continuously turning on and off the a/c until the fans turned on.
Old 06-03-14, 09:52 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

So issue is some where around the evaporator sensor. The sensor doesn't tell the evaporator to cool down. It stays at operating temperature and then when the engine builds up enough revs the evaporator finally starts to cool and drop down to about 40°. Idk if its a clog before or around the sensor or if the sensor is bad. Will find out eventually.
Old 06-08-14, 11:06 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

ok i seen hundreds of threads from the older model lexus that the expansion valve goes bad. it controls when the freon is suppose to change from liquid to a gas and vice versa. do you think this could be the culprit? while getting a live data read on the a/c all the temperature sensors were reading correct nothing out of the ordinary. its just that the evap would not get cold. since the evaporator functions off this valve it explains why there has been no a/c codes popping up and maybe when people vacuumed the lines they got whatever was clogging the valve. anyone have some insight on this?
Old 07-11-14, 11:33 PM
sheltop225
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything new on this? My 08 started this a few weeks ago...good on freon and compressor seems to be kicking on. Cycling the a/c button on the nav screen a lot seems to jump start it blowing cold some days, others I just have to deal with it.
Old 07-12-14, 02:47 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sheltop225
Anything new on this? My 08 started this a few weeks ago...good on freon and compressor seems to be kicking on. Cycling the a/c button on the nav screen a lot seems to jump start it blowing cold some days, others I just have to deal with it.
Nope nothing yet. I gave up. I just always leave my ac on now and it has been working consistently for the past few weeks. It has its moments. But try and get your system vacuumed.