IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I need a transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 06:21 PM
silvrdakrt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a transmission

My Is250 has been acting up VSC keeps coming on pulled the codes with the OBDII and theres about 4 codes all transmission related.(solenoids) Anyone know where I can find one salvage preferred. Looking for a Lexus salvage yard. Looking into ebay but trying to buy something local

thanks in advance
Old 08-27-13, 07:06 PM
Gregz_IS
Rookie

all codes are solenoid related?

sounds like an electrical problem to me

pay someone that knows what they are doing to diagnose the actual problem.

could be a connection problem or possibly a fuse or relay.

replacing the trans won't fix an electrical fault

Old 08-27-13, 07:55 PM
silvrdakrt
Driver School Candidate

I took it to Longo Lexus to diagnose it. they kept it for 2 days and they said the technician could not find anything or any codes. I drove it in with the VSC flashing showed the service advisor. When I got it back the Vsc was off and on my way home it started acting up again wont shift pass 3rd gear and VSc comes on. I called the Service advisor he didn't know what to say he recommended trans ecu update for $150 and its not guaranteed to fix my issue.
Old 08-28-13, 12:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

same thing happened to me, although i am under warranty and the dealer performed an extensive transmission rebuild. i feel as though it still doesn't feel right, although the feeling is hard to pinpoint and clearly they won't take my word for it and replace the transmission.

anyhow, point is that it was a transmission issue - solenoids included - not an electrical or ecu issue.

oh, also, the dealer may be giving your the runaround if you are under warranty - although i'm assuming not if you're looking to purchase a transmission off ebay. it was like pulling teeth to get my transmission fixed and i went back and forth to the dealer under similar circumstances.

Last edited by davyjordi; 08-28-13 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-28-13, 06:00 PM
mikeIs25
Driver School Candidate

check on car part .com just got one with 52k on it and 6 month warranty for $350 my car now running like a champ
i replaced mine cuz ran into high waters and fluid got contaminated i didn't know until my transmission start to slip - i will suggest you to get a filter change since there is not enough fluid join into the converter will not shift properly
Old 08-28-13, 08:15 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeIs25
check on car part .com just got one with 52k on it and 6 month warranty for $350 my car now running like a champ
i replaced mine cuz ran into high waters and fluid got contaminated i didn't know until my transmission start to slip - i will suggest you to get a filter change since there is not enough fluid join into the converter will not shift properly
What about labor? Did you have to have a dealer do it for you?

I've called around and one place told me they need some compressor in order to do work on the ISx50's transmission

I'm also running into the transmission problem.. Same symptoms that davyjordi had in his old threads..

Started with jerking once a while, I thought nothing of it and now a year or two later its been getting worse. Starting to hear wierd clicking/grinding noise occasionally in 2nd and 3rd gear. And now the CEL/VSC light comes on and off whenever it wants to. Jerking a lot more also.. At least once everytime I drive the car.
Old 08-28-13, 10:52 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy

I've called around and one place told me they need some compressor in order to do work on the ISx50's transmission

I'm also running into the transmission problem.. Same symptoms that davyjordi had in his old threads..

Started with jerking once a while, I thought nothing of it and now a year or two later its been getting worse. Starting to hear wierd clicking/grinding noise occasionally in 2nd and 3rd gear. And now the CEL/VSC light comes on and off whenever it wants to. Jerking a lot more also.. At least once everytime I drive the car.
that sucks, bro. it seems as the car ages that more and more transmission problems are popping up - and this also seems a bit premature as the model isn't THAT old. overall flawed design, but i love my car just the same <3
Old 08-29-13, 11:01 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try car-part.com tons of used salvaged items on there. Good Luck!
Old 09-02-13, 06:59 AM
mikeIs25
Driver School Candidate

sound like your torgue converter is going bad , not the actual transmission - labor a local shop charge me 350 to get it done this is a plug and play - i dont think you should bring it to the dealer they will rip it off - its a 2 hours job easy to do .
Old 09-02-13, 07:02 AM
mikeIs25
Driver School Candidate

i will suggest every one with the is250 to service their transmission such as trans fluid , filter , if you car is under 75k or close if car is over 80k do not play with it . -----
Old 09-02-13, 07:04 AM
mikeIs25
Driver School Candidate

have you check your fluid ? can be dirty filter , have dome one drop the pan get new filter and 4 qtr oil - toyota transmission fluid - only 4 qtr if only dropping the pan to change the filter .
Old 09-02-13, 08:25 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

me and you both pal, but im at 193,000 and the jerks and slips are becoming more frequent....i was thinking of rebuilding it but find a reputable shop in houston may be hard, which means its easier to buy a new or used one....
Old 09-02-13, 08:26 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...sion-176k.html
Old 09-02-13, 11:01 PM
gorskiqne
Driver School Candidate

they kept it for 2 days and they said the technician could not find anything or any codes.
Old 09-03-13, 07:56 AM
Ktran1039
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...91#post8119891

This guy just did an engine swap and is selling his engine and transmission.

Quick Reply: I need a transmission