IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 Lexus IS350 Paddle Shifter not working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 06:25 PM
jchauncey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03/10 update

Figured I'd post an update.

So thanks to the video from jgr7, I decided to tinker a bit.

I took the wheel off, and broke everything down to ensure that nothing was "unplugged". As expected, everything was plugged in just fine.

I'm hoping to order a replacement wiring piece soon for $20 or so, and if I do, I'll put together a how-to.
Old 03-11-14, 06:10 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Its likely you'll be replacing your clockspring..have you looked into that?
Old 03-11-14, 06:35 PM
jchauncey
Driver School Candidate

About the clockspring; perhaps. Since my "upshift" (limiter) paddle works, wouldn't that negate the possibilty that the clockspring is the culprit? It could definitely be the issue, but there are also numerous wiring harnesses before the clockspring comes into play.

I've just ordered a new wiring piece from http://www.oemtoyotascionparts.com/
(part #8452352020) with the lofty idea that this will be the fix.
Old 03-11-14, 08:20 PM
mrkim
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Megaman096
Thanks for pointing out the obvious and assuming I have no idea what kind of car I drive. I called them paddle shifters because that is exactly what they are.

I have a problem with them, so I had to use some sort of noun to indicate what my problem was for, sorry I didnt use your politcally correct term of "top gear limiter".What they are called doesn't matter, the question I asked does, your post does not help the community.

Thank you very much to those of you that had a helpful response to my question, your help is much appreciated, as I browse these forums regularly and it is you all that makes this a great forum.
lol good answer megaman, any luck on finding the solution to your problem? thats a new one to me I would like to know how to solve it just for future references...
Old 05-30-14, 06:38 AM
Megaman096
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the airbag off of the steering wheel and checked the connections and all looked fine. I have a feeling I may just need to purchase a complete new down paddle shift assembly.

JcHauncey have you had success with what you ordered?

Thanks to all who have contributed, lets try keeping this thread alive until we find a fix.
Old 06-05-14, 07:13 PM
jchauncey
Driver School Candidate

Megman - no, I purchased the replacement electrical relay, but after replacing, it clearly wasnt the relay.

I'm under the impression that there is a faulty wire, or wire harness though, since the up**** paddle works perflectly fine. Not sure how the clockspring would play into this, but I'm also not a steering wheel or electrical expert.

I'm wondering if there's a way to test each individual wire? There's a rainbow of wires in there...
I want to find an entire clockspring from a scrapyard, and attempt a replacement. Easier said than done, though.
Old 06-12-15, 07:28 AM
pololoeer
Driver School Candidate

Did any one ever have a fix for this ? I have a 2006 is250 and I am having the same problem. Only funny thing is that if the steering wheel is at 11 o clock or 2 o clock it work.
Old 06-12-15, 03:15 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you do a continuity test on the +/- wires going to that particular paddle while it is unplugged from the car's wiring, I am guessing it should be an open circuit in the default state and a closed circuit with the paddle held in the shift position. You can verify by testing the working paddle. If not then I am wrong or the wiring/switch in the paddle has failed.
Old 06-12-15, 07:07 PM
pololoeer
Driver School Candidate

Okay so today I took the air bag out and everything was connected fine. when i connected it back, it started working for a little bit until i twisted the steering wheel to the left once i had back to the 12 o clock position it stopped working again... Its weird because if i turn the steering wheel 360 to the left or right the paddle will work fine. It only stops working when its in the normal straight position. I am starting to think its the clock spring. Any idea ? how to trouble shoot this ? I was thinking about connecting the left side paddle to the right and vice versa to see if it would change... if it does not I would replace the left side paddle.

Last edited by pololoeer; 06-12-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-12-15, 07:08 PM
pololoeer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for you reply, I will try this. Need to get my hands on a voltmeter..
Old 06-18-15, 12:13 PM
pololoeer
Driver School Candidate

Default paddle solution

Alright, So I ended up replacing the clockspring. Its a very easy install very few tool's to removed the steering wheel. Once completed my paddle was working fine.
Old 01-01-22, 08:50 AM
Waterboy76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knguyenk
Those paddles are there for show, they don't directly shift the car. I have a quote from a forum member that explains our paddle shifters and "S/Sport mode":

But on topic, the other forum members probably got the answer you were looking for (fuse or unplugged wire).
please for the Love of God know what your talking about before your rant... The Trans your speaking of was first put in the hybrids in 14 i belive a 06 is350 has a 6 speed and paddles work you call them a gear limiter you shouldn't be driving in first place if your going 5mph and try to shift up you shouldn't own a car so it's pointless for anyone to say anything. I have 07 I can shift