IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help/advice after the dealer damaged my steering system and refuses to pay all

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 03:26 PM
Ufengineer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/advice after the dealer damaged my steering system and refuses to pay all

Just like clockwork, I had to take my car in for the common carbon build up and misfiring issue which includes extensive repairs like replacing the pistons/rings/etc and required the engine and transmission to be removed from the car. I live over an hour away and they told me everything's fine and they did a test drive. Happy to get my car back after a week, I go to make the first turn out of the service bay and the steering is jumpy and inconsistant. The car has an electric power steering motor and it feels like the motor goes in and out as you try to turn. I turned right back in to tell them they have damaged my car and they get the tech to do a test drive. Quite irritated, I asked them how they missed the fact my steering is messed up on the test drive. "Well, we didn't know if it was like that before and didn't want to say anything".
So after speaking with the service manager and tech, he tries to emphasize to me that they want to be as fair as possible and, although they had to remove all the steering components for the engine work, these things can randomly go out. "It could have just as easily happened in your driveway." I remained firm on my stance that my car's steering fine when I gave it to them and now it does not and that I feel like it is their responsibility when it is in their garage. Since it's a motor and rack/pinion whole assembly that needs to be replaced, it costs $2400. Because Lexus "cares for their customers" they offered to split the costs with me. That is still $1200 I have to pay for someone else's mistake. I politely asked to speak with the dealer GM about the issue and, of course, no reply all day.
So if anyone has any experience or advice for me please let me know. I truly believe I am in the right here. I am a student with limited finances and the only reason I have this car is that it was my mom's before she passed away last year and not ready to let it go. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-13, 04:15 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Why not call Lexus corporate?!
Old 06-17-13, 06:29 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree ^^ and what dealer in FL did you go to?
Old 06-17-13, 06:35 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Ive seen this issue occur before. The steering is notchy correct? It is likely caused by water/coolant inside one of the connectors on the steering rack....
Old 06-17-13, 07:34 PM
Ufengineer
Driver School Candidate

That's exactly it, a notchy feel to it. It was replaced around 30k under warranty on my car and apparently they just "go out randomly". They say there is no way to service it, but just replace the whole set-up. I found a corporate number online so, indeed, I will give them a call.

Last edited by Ufengineer; 07-01-13 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 08:50 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago I had a dealer damage my car and after a full week of calling every day with no response I left a message that I was going to file a police report and turn them into insurance for the damage if I don't get a call back by the end of the day. Amazing how quickly the called back and fixed the damage. Something to consider.
Old 06-18-13, 10:49 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to Lexus Corporate. Keep us posted!
Old 06-18-13, 11:24 AM
Ufengineer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I spoke with corporate this morning and they were very nice and accommodating. They said a case will be open and they will contact the dealer regarding the issue (maybe the GM will answer their phone calls). They said they will contact me within 2 days. I will make sure to follow up....
Old 06-18-13, 03:44 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

It's pretty obvious to me that they F'd it all up and tried to hide it. Like what was said, it was probably coolant splashed out onto some electrical connections or a control module box. If nothing else, try disconnecting the battery again and see if it helps.
Old 06-24-13, 08:57 PM
Ufengineer
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, quick update: I spoke with Lexus Corporate and they opened a case. 2 days later they told me practically verbatim what the service manager said. They really did not do much more than just speak with the same guy and rehash the story. Lexus Corp feels it's actually generous of them to offer to split the cost. However my lawyer does not. Think goodness for free legal services at my university! He has taken the case and has seen it played out several times before where the dealer is in the wrong. Also, since the GM never returned my first call and a request from corporate to contact me, I went ahead and filed a complaint with BBB. Bad news for them is that while a college student has limited finances, I do have an exuberant amount of free time this summer.....Also, I did in fact pull the battery. it felt marginally better, but unfortunately still pretty "notchy". (Got to learn about a thing called calibrating the windows too after resetting, haha!)
Old 06-24-13, 11:50 PM
JDM FINEST
Rookie

email lexus corporate with names of the guys that were helping you at the dealer. corporate gets things done if the dealer doesnt want to! its happened to me before and problem solved when i talked to the big man! goodluck !
Old 06-25-13, 06:11 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Ive seen this issue occur before. The steering is notchy correct? It is likely caused by water/coolant inside one of the connectors on the steering rack....
Could the steering going out of zero cause this? I know that if you pull the engine one of the things that needs to be removed is the steering rod from the column to the rack and if the steering wheels or wheels are moved then the system needs to be recalibrated.
Old 06-30-13, 10:47 PM
Ufengineer
Driver School Candidate

Default Case RESOLVED!

Hey, just wanted to give everyone a final update and, thankfully, a resolution to the problem. First, I will add after resetting the electrical system twice and drive around 100 mi the steering became much smoother. It smoothed out to only be a problem when I turned at moderate speeds when I still had "dry spots" in the steering and made a jerky feel. Still not perfect, but driveable. Anyway, after filing a complaint with the BBB and getting a lawyer to represent me and sent a letter to the dealer, they had a chance to "re-evaluate your case with corporate and it looks like we can take care of all of the costs". So, with a little work, I have gotten my issue resolved. In conclusion, I remain a satisfied Lexus owner and will pick my car up tomorrow. Thanks for all of you who helped me here, this is a great community and Lexus is still a premium auto manufacturer and they have left me with a positive response! The dealer may not know it, but I am now a committed Lexus owner and plan stay with the Lexus family of vehicles!
Old 06-30-13, 11:56 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Very nice to hear your problem has been taken care. Some how we have to be an a** to get problem solve.
Old 07-01-13, 01:34 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like their bullying didn't work thanks for keeping us updated though!

Quick Reply: Need help/advice after the dealer damaged my steering system and refuses to pay all