IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem

Old 12-11-06, 11:49 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem

Hi all,

I've had a problem with my 6-speed IS250 since I purchased it 7 months ago.

The problem is that when I accelerate I hear a grinding/rattling noise coming from near the engine as I'm letting go of the clutch. This is more pronouced if I start off in 2nd rather than 1st (this was shown to me by the mechanic). Also, it seems to be get worse as the car heats up or if I'm in stop-and-go traffic.

Initially, I was told that the car is supposed to be like this but, when I drove the demo model I didn't hear such noises (Even when I made it chug the noise was completely different - there was no grinding/rattling). They are now in agreement that there is something wrong but they don't know how to fix it. They've already tried replacing the transmission along with some bearings twice.

I've been driving manual transmission for 13 years and have never experienced this. Anyone, with the same car have the same problem or can anyone offer insight as to why this is happening. I've called Lexus Canada and asked for a new car. I'm pretty pissed off - not so much that the problem is there (because ***** happens) - but because they don't know how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Silver
Old 12-11-06, 11:53 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I might sound like a complete newb, and I am..

But since the trans was replaced what about the fly wheel, and the clutch itself? Isn't there a mechanism in there that if warped might make a grinding noise? Is it difficult to shift gears?
Old 12-11-06, 12:55 PM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

There is alot of clashing of the gears (especially when shifting down) but apparently that's normal as well. It could be the parts that you mentioned but these guys have such big ego's that if you say anything they get annoyed. I told them the first time I spoke with them it's not the tranny. It sounds like the noise is coming from the engine.
Old 12-11-06, 01:06 PM
Axvel
Driver

Originally Posted by silverbuli
There is alot of clashing of the gears (especially when shifting down) but apparently that's normal as well. It could be the parts that you mentioned but these guys have such big ego's that if you say anything they get annoyed. I told them the first time I spoke with them it's not the tranny. It sounds like the noise is coming from the engine.

I have a IS 350 but My friend has the same car, he took it back to the dealer 3 times, all the dealer and the service manager could do is move his shoulders, then my frined payed 500$ to the lawyer to write a letter to the Dealership about this problem, and since it was taken back to the dealership 3 times in California there is a lemon law, and they replaced the whole car for him. He had shiftin problems, he couldnt go into 1st gear, when downshifting he had weird noises and stick was vibrating. At first they thought he is doing it on purpose, but then apperantly they got another complaint, about the same problem. Maybe this helps
Old 12-11-06, 01:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

While there is nothing in the documentation I can find written about the flywheel's design, the cross-section drawing in the New Car Features appears to show a multi-piece flywheel with a noise dampening system. Reinforcing the idea this is what they've done is the solid, damperless clutch plate.

These designs are prone to noise when they fail to dampen the sound. The clutch still works as intended, but there are unusual noises. The flywheel on the MkIV Supra was a similar design, and was frequently a source of noise.

I would insist they swap the flywheel as I suspect your unit is not working correctly. They should have noticed this straight away, but there doesn't appear to be anything in the service manual or the new car features discussing the flywheel, and the only service inspection they include is a surface check (which probably was just fine when it was checked.)
Old 12-11-06, 01:42 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Aw, I guess paying attention to my friend building his SRT-4 paid off. Haha.

On the bright side.. it is good to know it isn't the transmission. However, tearing up the gears ain't good!
Old 12-11-06, 01:42 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

That's how my clutch is too, if you guys haven't noticed, more or less everyone with a manual tranny 250 has similar complaints, I've just learned to live with it, as it works fine---just a little noisier and less smooth than I would like---especially from a Lexus.
Old 12-11-06, 02:24 PM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input guys.
I'll mention the flywheel next time I speak to them. The main reason I'm complaining about this is becaues the DEMO model is 100 times better than my car. They admitted this as well so I have them by the nuts.

I've also taken it back to them 3 times and I'm not going to stop screaming until they give me a new car with no problems (or fix this one).
Old 12-11-06, 02:29 PM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Axvel
.... and they replaced the whole car for him. He had shiftin problems, he couldnt go into 1st gear, when downshifting he had weird noises and stick was vibrating...
So does the new car have the same problems?
Old 12-11-06, 06:21 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

does canada have any sort of lemon law?
Old 12-11-06, 10:06 PM
shrka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silverbuli
Hi all,

I've had a problem with my 6-speed IS250 since I purchased it 7 months ago.

The problem is that when I accelerate I hear a grinding/rattling noise coming from near the engine as I'm letting go of the clutch. This is more pronouced if I start off in 2nd rather than 1st (this was shown to me by the mechanic). Also, it seems to be get worse as the car heats up or if I'm in stop-and-go traffic.

Initially, I was told that the car is supposed to be like this but, when I drove the demo model I didn't hear such noises (Even when I made it chug the noise was completely different - there was no grinding/rattling). They are now in agreement that there is something wrong but they don't know how to fix it. They've already tried replacing the transmission along with some bearings twice.

I've been driving manual transmission for 13 years and have never experienced this. Anyone, with the same car have the same problem or can anyone offer insight as to why this is happening. I've called Lexus Canada and asked for a new car. I'm pretty pissed off - not so much that the problem is there (because ***** happens) - but because they don't know how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Silver
sorry to hear about your car. keep us posted as i am sure a lot of people are in the same situation. maybe its a lot issue...like a particular month it was produced.
Old 12-12-06, 05:48 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine makes the same noise. I have complained once, they said it was normal. I will complain again at the 10k oil change. Noisest MT I have EVER had.

If I could go back I would get the AT.
Old 12-12-06, 07:27 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sinister2c
does canada have any sort of lemon law?
No there are no lemon laws here. I wish there was!
Old 12-12-06, 07:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the noise only occurs between clutch engagements (while you're pushing the clutch pedal), then I think it is the throwout bearing. My previous car (Honda S2000) was notorious for "rattly" TO bearings. It was obvious why it was noisy when I did my own clutch replacement.
Old 12-12-06, 10:22 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

I have a 250 MT. I don't have the same problem, but mine has more to do with random slips of the clutch after I've been in that gear a bit and mildly excellarate. This clutch sucks all around as it's noisy, clunky, long throws and shifts like a toyota tercel. Love the car minus the clutch so I'll live with it, but don't recommend one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem