IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road Trip! East Coast KS To Pittsburgh, PA + More.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 05:22 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip! East Coast KS To Pittsburgh, PA + More.

So, I am going to be making a road trip from East Coast Kansas All The Way to Pittsburgh, PA then on to Boston, MA (My Hometown; May also add New Jersey & New York on the way also) at the end of June or early July. The total distance is 941 miles minimum one way to Pittsburgh, PA.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips because i have never done a long road trip like this before. I am really excited to make this trip and cannot wait.
I will be in my trusty IS250 AWD. Only thing i may be slightly worried about is my tints which is 17% in the front & 10% in the back, but also, i have an eye doctor's note as an excuse for the tints. hehe

Here is a map:

Last edited by krUnALv99; 06-04-13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 05:42 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I have a spare red tank of gas. Also a case of water, a couple energy drinks, and some good music. Don't forget to take pictures!

PS I know someones going to recommend that blue tape -ish. It's only for the non-clear-bra owners who insist on pristine paint jobs. (not a fan of it - but then again I only do 300 mile trips (SF/Vegas). So what do I know.)
Old 06-04-13, 05:47 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely get the blue tape I've never traveled a long distance just Sacramento to San Francisco and now I have a bunch of paint chips, and they are very noticeable because my car is obsidian. Also just like UniSlayEx said extra gas, water, energy drinks, a bunch of snacks, and a lot of good music.
Old 06-04-13, 06:04 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
Personally, I have a spare red tank of gas. Also a case of water, a couple energy drinks, and some good music. Don't forget to take pictures!

PS I know someones going to recommend that blue tape -ish. It's only for the non-clear-bra owners who insist on pristine paint jobs. (not a fan of it - but then again I only do 300 mile trips (SF/Vegas). So what do I know.)
Red Tank Of Gas: ./
Case Of Water.. I need this
Energy Drinks: ./ (Monster)
Good Music: ./ ALWAYS Have Good Music. lol

I am thinking about the Blue tape because i dont have clear bra.

Originally Posted by lysis250
Definitely get the blue tape I've never traveled a long distance just Sacramento to San Francisco and now I have a bunch of paint chips, and they are very noticeable because my car is obsidian. Also just like UniSlayEx said extra gas, water, energy drinks, a bunch of snacks, and a lot of good music.

I travel about 100 miles a day and have never done it yet. lol I might do it on this trip though.

It will be 1 year on June 19th that i got my car. and so far i put 16,438 Miles on it.

Gas Station Food. FTW. haha
Old 06-04-13, 07:20 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

AAA?

Also, for paint protection...you might be interested to look into this :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ternative.html
Old 06-04-13, 07:21 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Haha damn. About a year and a half ago I drove from San Francisco to British Columbia. About 1000 miles just like you 1 way. I didn't blue tape my bumper though. Like the others said, good music should do. I also downloaded some stand up comedy mp3s so I had something other than music to listen to. I made pit stops for energy drinks and bathroom breaks too.
Old 06-04-13, 07:37 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
AAA?

Also, for paint protection...you might be interested to look into this :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ternative.html
This looks interesting. i havent heard or seen anything about this before. thanks!
Also, not sure if i need AAA because my car is CPO which i think includes 24 hour Tow service by Lexus But i will look into it just incase. And i cant remember if it is free or not.

Originally Posted by InspireME
Haha damn. About a year and a half ago I drove from San Francisco to British Columbia. About 1000 miles just like you 1 way. I didn't blue tape my bumper though. Like the others said, good music should do. I also downloaded some stand up comedy mp3s so I had something other than music to listen to. I made pit stops for energy drinks and bathroom breaks too.
Stand Up comedy actually sounds like a very good idea.
Also, on a full tank of gas, the car dash says i can do 400 miles. So, i would say pit stop for me would be around 250 miles or so but i will probably start out at around 5 or 6 A.M. and the sun is up by 6:30 or 7 so i can have a full driving day in the sun and reach my destination by around 12ish. I think i can drive all that without having to stop somewhere at a hotel to sleep. Also, if i reachad there friday 12 a.m. then it looks like i might hit up some clubs and after hour clubs haha.
Kansas has no such thing
Closest is Power and Light in Kansas City, MO (2 hours away) was alright. Everything ends at 2 A.M. I like to keep going till the "Break of Dawn Yo"

Last edited by krUnALv99; 06-04-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 08:15 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As you can see not everyone does the blue tape thing but I personally would. You never know what you will be driving behind on the road. I think I got the paint chips because a semi full of gravel got in front of me for about 10 seconds and it was enough to mess up my front end.
Old 06-04-13, 09:15 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do the blue painter's tape just for fun. You could do crazy designs with it, and it would notify all petrol heads that your doing a roadtrip.

I would also check to make sure the spare is well inflated. I think the red tank of gas is kind of overkill, I have never ran out of gas before haha
Old 06-05-13, 02:25 AM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lysis250
As you can see not everyone does the blue tape thing but I personally would. You never know what you will be driving behind on the road. I think I got the paint chips because a semi full of gravel got in front of me for about 10 seconds and it was enough to mess up my front end.
Ouch.

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I would do the blue painter's tape just for fun. You could do crazy designs with it, and it would notify all petrol heads that your doing a roadtrip.

I would also check to make sure the spare is well inflated. I think the red tank of gas is kind of overkill, I have never ran out of gas before haha
You do have a valid point about petrol heads. There are some parts of the U.S. where there is nothing for hundreds of miles so it might come in handy for emergency's.
Old 06-05-13, 05:36 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I always blue tape my car for long trips, I dont know why there is some "hate" for it.

Old 06-05-13, 08:47 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Extra gas?What are we in the third world?
Old 06-05-13, 09:06 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just check the tire pressure and maybe an oil change if you're close to being due.
Old 06-05-13, 07:11 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some of thexe suggestions are funny. The more you travel eastward the less you need to worry about travel issues because the population is more concentrated. I could see having extra gas if you were driving through the deserts or some uninhabited area.

I live in Pittsburgh if you wanna hit me up
Old 06-05-13, 07:39 PM
350n350
Rookie

Originally Posted by bob4256
I always blue tape my car for long trips, I dont know why there is some "hate" for it.

Because it looks ugly and not worth doing, lol. Have you seen the new 3M spray film? That might be a good alternative.

Quick Reply: Road Trip! East Coast KS To Pittsburgh, PA + More.