IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weird key fob problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 08:42 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird key fob problem :(

So my key fob was working perfectly fine before and then I went underway for two weeks. When I came back my key fob started having problems. I'll press the unlock or lock button like a hundred times and it won't work and then eventually it will. Then I'll go try to start the car and the key sometimes won't be detected so I have to put it up against the push start button then it'll work and once the car is started the key not detected alert will pop up again. It's pretty frequent. I've tried changing the key fob battery and resetting my ECU and the problem is still there.

Is there anything else I should try before I bring it into the stealership for them to figure out?
Old 05-24-13, 08:48 PM
eleminoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did a similar thing and I squeezed the contacts that touch the battery tighter and ever since it has worked fine. This was with a new battery as well.
Old 05-24-13, 08:53 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eleminoh
mine did a similar thing and I squeezed the contacts that touch the battery tighter and ever since it has worked fine. This was with a new battery as well.
I'll give that a shot. thanks
Old 05-25-13, 09:12 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

UPDATE:

Squeezing the contacts together did not fix it.

Nothing was done to the key prior to it malfunctioning. It was untouched for two weeks and then BAM problem started.
Old 05-25-13, 10:25 AM
Tapangb
Driver

Had the same problem with my key fob after 1 week of underway. Came back and had to keep pressing the unlock button numerous times. I brought it up to the dealership and they said that cell phones interfere with the signal. I always have my phone with me so that may be the case. I figured out that it works when you hold the key fob next to the driver side mirror as close to the window glass. I guess it's close enough for the ecu to detect. My fob battery is new so I know it's not that. Another possibility is ceramic tint but that's not the case with mine. It also happened to a 2013 ES that they gave me as a loaner so it cant be a coincidence. Hope this helps. Btw, what ship are you on?

Last edited by Tapangb; 05-25-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-25-13, 10:31 AM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

wish i could help. subscribing for future reference though.
Old 05-25-13, 12:10 PM
eleminoh
Driver School Candidate

Yes, please come back once you get it fixed and let us know what happened. Hope it fixes easy for you!
Old 05-25-13, 06:14 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tapangb
Had the same problem with my key fob after 1 week of underway. Came back and had to keep pressing the unlock button numerous times. I brought it up to the dealership and they said that cell phones interfere with the signal. I always have my phone with me so that may be the case. I figured out that it works when you hold the key fob next to the driver side mirror as close to the window glass. I guess it's close enough for the ecu to detect. My fob battery is new so I know it's not that. Another possibility is ceramic tint but that's not the case with mine. It also happened to a 2013 ES that they gave me as a loaner so it cant be a coincidence. Hope this helps. Btw, what ship are you on?
Makes sense but I don't get why it would happen all of a sudden :/ The problem was never there before. I'm on USS Chancellorsville. You?
Old 05-25-13, 10:53 PM
RRUBI1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same issue as well. I'm on pier 13, USS RUSSELL. I took mine to the dealer, they said its because of the new antenna that was built near the base that happens to have the same frequency as our key fobs, unfortunately it's mainly affecting all Lexus vehicles that's why it happened to the loaner they gave you as well. As far as solution, they don't have any, I guess we'll have to lock/unlock our cars manually every time we're on base.
Old 05-26-13, 09:52 AM
Tapangb
Driver

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Makes sense but I don't get why it would happen all of a sudden :/ The problem was never there before. I'm on USS Chancellorsville. You?
Yeah, mine just started doing it after I got it back from the dealer after some issues covered under warranty. I thought it was only me but I'm glad I'm not alone with this. I'm on the USS Boxer. I'll call my SA and ask him to take a look at it and if it's a recurring problem lately with other 350 owners. I'll post his response and keep you guys updated.
Old 05-26-13, 12:37 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar issues with my main fob last year (I have an '07 350). It actually went back for a while before that too as I recall changing my batteries in the fob 2-3 times a year when it became less responsive. The last two battery changes seemed way too frequent and then one day (while out about in town) the fob did not work at all. 100% failure. Taking it apart showed me no apparent damage and I had to go home to get my spare fob in order to drive out of the garage I was in.

Although my dealer said they will not wear out (I asked about this over the 18 months or so before failure), I wore my original fob down to useless. I had them reprogram a new one for me and problem solved for about $100. I don't know anything about the antenna/signal issues you gentlemen are referring to, but we have a broadcast antenna in town that made locking my previous car difficult nearby (but the Lexus fob has no problems at all there).

I also have ceramic tint (since '07) so that's not the issue at least on the IS. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-26-13, 01:16 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RRUBI1
I'm having the same issue as well. I'm on pier 13, USS RUSSELL. I took mine to the dealer, they said its because of the new antenna that was built near the base that happens to have the same frequency as our key fobs, unfortunately it's mainly affecting all Lexus vehicles that's why it happened to the loaner they gave you as well. As far as solution, they don't have any, I guess we'll have to lock/unlock our cars manually every time we're on base.
I'm over on pier 10.

When was this new antenna built? If it wasn't after May 6th then that can't be the problem because I never had any issues whatsoever until May 17th when we pulled back in.

Holding the key fob near the driver side works however but I like to be able to unlock my car while walking towards my car and having the windows roll down to let out the hot air or locking it while I walk away from the car.
Old 05-26-13, 08:43 PM
xitr097
Rookie

I happens to mine as well. I'm on pier 13. I noticed it on the day LHA 5 pulled in. I'm thinking they left something on and it's still radiating. I'm an ET I have a few suspicion on which system that they may have left on. It's affect all lexus with smart key.
Old 05-26-13, 08:45 PM
xitr097
Rookie

the problem goes away when I hit the 8th street gate. Nothing you can do man. There is nothing wrong with the key fob.

Last edited by xitr097; 05-26-13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 08:11 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

God damn amphib...it seems to be the cause. I'll see when I go far enough away from base. I wanna call them and be like hey this is ET3 from the CVille, can you tell your ET's to shut their **** off?!?!! lol

Quick Reply: Weird key fob problem :(