IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Good night Turned Into Bad.-- Tire/Rims Curbed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 03:40 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

man that little thing will be ok...you can even tear it off...i thought you were talking the meat of the tire...
Old 05-13-13, 11:57 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I had something similar happen to me where a chunk from around the "rim protector" area of the tire was fully removed. No steel belting or cords showing. Drove to Discount Tire about it and they said that area of the tire is designed to be thicker with excess rubber to be used as the "rim protector" and I'll be fine. Yours does appear to be longer, but does appear to be ok.
Old 05-13-13, 02:10 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine.* I have a similar "tear" in the sidewall of one of my tires, and I've been running on it for thousands of miles already, even including a trip to the track, and I have had no problems. I have even been to Discount Tire for some tire work, and they did not say anything, which they would if it was even a little bit of a problem. Your damage is slightly worse, but not much. I wouldn't worry about the tire.

*RocketGuy3 cannot be held responsible in the unlikely event that your tire explodes on the freeway...
Old 05-13-13, 03:17 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guesswh0
That doesn't look too bad, but it might just be the pictures. Take it to a tire shop as others have said just to make sure. I would probably just replace the tire just to be on the safe side. You don't want a blowout while you're driving it. Where in KS are you from?
It wasnt bad at all, just the protective layer had ripped a little bit but i had it checked out by a few people and they said i should be fine. Also, I am in southeast kansas 55 miles from Joplin, MO or 35 miles from Pittsburg, KS (I live in Parsons, KS)

Originally Posted by azfsprt
Ouch, although the tear doesnt look so bad its mainly the excess for rim guard. But because its the sidewall u need to have it looked @ any reputable tire shop.

May i ask what happened? Good thing you and you car are ok.
Saturday night, picked up a hot chick, parking spaces were small and overshot the parking judgement.

Originally Posted by karasha
Walmart Gorilla glue it back together? That would really do absolutely nothing except make it look pretty. The structural integrity in that one portion has been disturbed and no amount of gorilla glue will bring it back.

It's hard to see, but it doesn't look like you gouged it too hard and perhaps could be ridden on. But really, it's may be a safety issue. Dealing with a blow out tire is no fun. You don't have to pay $200 for a new tire... you can get a decent tire for about $120 just to get you by.
All it is, is the excess guard that ripped a little bit, there was no bubbles, air leaks etc. so i just glued the ripped piece into place to make it look pretty. I will get a new tire later on but i will keep a eye on it.

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
You should be fine.* I have a similar "tear" in the sidewall of one of my tires, and I've been running on it for thousands of miles already, even including a trip to the track, and I have had no problems. I have even been to Discount Tire for some tire work, and they did not say anything, which they would if it was even a little bit of a problem. Your damage is slightly worse, but not much. I wouldn't worry about the tire.

*RocketGuy3 cannot be held responsible in the unlikely event that your tire explodes on the freeway...
I wont hold you responsable lol. but its not as bad once i took a really close look and there are no bubbles, or steel etc. showing. The tire just looks bad.

Originally Posted by Gville350
I had something similar happen to me where a chunk from around the "rim protector" area of the tire was fully removed. No steel belting or cords showing. Drove to Discount Tire about it and they said that area of the tire is designed to be thicker with excess rubber to be used as the "rim protector" and I'll be fine. Yours does appear to be longer, but does appear to be ok.
thats exactly what i was thinking!

Originally Posted by iRyan
man that little thing will be ok...you can even tear it off...i thought you were talking the meat of the tire...

i wouldnt tear it off because the tire would look bad so i just put on some gorilla glue and it looks normal again.

Last edited by krUnALv99; 05-13-13 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 03:19 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

this wil eventually cause a blow out. Unless you drive like a granny, any spirited driving will put serious pressure on the sidewall, it will just blow out during a hard turn....
Old 05-13-13, 03:38 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

There is this thing thats called rubber cement that does wonders when applied with heat to tires. Lets just say it can stop leaks and reinforce tires. (you need to put the flame out after ~ 20-40 seconds)

Do at your own risk***

Old 05-13-13, 04:17 PM
IS350AWD
Driver

This is exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago to my right rear tire.

Luckily, it happened just a few hours before going to Lexus for an oil change. I felt like a complete idiot, ha.

Anyway, I didn't feel any problems on the drive to the dealer, which was about 20 miles away. I got there and the service department kindly looked at it. They didn't find anything, even taking it for a quick spin. The rim was scratched, but that is strictly cosmetic. The tire had a similar tear on it like yours; I just snipped the dangle with a knife.

And I was due for rotation, so that tire is now front right, ha.

No problems, luckily!
Old 05-13-13, 06:19 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah baby burn the Mac.
Old 05-13-13, 10:57 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Whoa, I dunno about the Tire burning thing.. I would have to make a new thread saying "Car Burned Down " lol! But i just had a 300 mile trip and the tire was fine, no abnormal vibrations, bubbles, or any issues i can think of at all. Just A scratch on the rim and small excess rubber ripped, but it seems like everything is fine. So i am glad at the moment.
Old 05-14-13, 06:31 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's fine. I've seen worse still driving. Doesn't look deep enough.
Old 05-17-13, 03:25 AM
dk626
Driver School Candidate

how many miles do you have on the tire? if its past half its life you should consider just changing it.. it could end up being a very expensive problem
Old 05-17-13, 10:58 AM
dong888
Pole Position

I had similar issue on the OEM tire which had rim protector. The tear looked worth than yours but was most likely on the "guard" portion of the tire. I went to home depot and bought "rubber to rubber" glue (sorry, i can not remembe the name) and applied to the cut. I then monitor the cut part of the tire for a few month and found the glue was holding out ok. That means the forces applied to the tire are not affecting where the cut was.
Old 05-17-13, 03:00 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks fine, not bad at all.
Old 05-18-13, 02:49 AM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dk626
how many miles do you have on the tire? if its past half its life you should consider just changing it.. it could end up being a very expensive problem
It still has over half it's life left. When i bought it 15k miles ago, the dealer rep told me the tires will last 10k but it looks like i got another 10k or more to go. I also found that my toyota dealership (closest dealership to me) has the tire for $120 where its $142 everywhere else.

Originally Posted by dong888
I had similar issue on the OEM tire which had rim protector. The tear looked worth than yours but was most likely on the "guard" portion of the tire. I went to home depot and bought "rubber to rubber" glue (sorry, i can not remembe the name) and applied to the cut. I then monitor the cut part of the tire for a few month and found the glue was holding out ok. That means the forces applied to the tire are not affecting where the cut was.
That actually sounds like a good idea. i used this clear solution and i went a 250 miles drive with it on the highway and it stayed on.,. then a checked on it a day or so later and the glue didnt work out. But i do like the idea. Not sure why i didnt think of that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Looks fine, not bad at all.
thanks for your input. Ima try the rubber to rubber solution and if it dont work out, i'll change the tire out since $120 aint too bad.