IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BMW vs Lexus IS handling

Old 03-29-13, 10:01 AM
NYG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW vs Lexus IS handling

hey guys, so I'm trading in my x3 for an 07 IS250 awd with fairly high miles (91k). I'm making the trade for a few reasons, one being the cheap interior found in the x3.

But, one thing I'm really going to miss is the tight sporty, somewhat "rough" ride of the bmw. Can anyone chime in on how the IS handles compared to bmws? I'm not much of a speed demon, in fact, I drive like a grandma most of the time. But I can very much appreciate tight sporty handling.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-29-13, 10:05 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll save everybody the trouble and just recommend buying the Fsport rear sways and if you want also the front sways.

IS def doesn't feel very sporty at stock height without them, obviously if you plan on lowering it'll improve but out of the factory this thing has a bit of body roll when turning at mediocre speeds. I noticed a huge difference just by lowering but alot of people swear by the rear fsport sways as the first mod they do and supposivly makes an enormous difference in the handling.
Old 03-29-13, 10:10 AM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by Deegee
I'll save everybody the trouble and just recommend buying the Fsport rear sways and if you want also the front sways.

IS def doesn't feel very sporty at stock height without them, obviously if you plan on lowering it'll improve but out of the factory this thing has a bit of body roll when turning at mediocre speeds. I noticed a huge difference just by lowering but alot of people swear by the rear fsport sways as the first mod they do and supposivly makes an enormous difference in the handling.
I have no problem with a little sway. I've never owned a sedan in my life. I've always had SUVs and I like being a little high. My X3 was obviously not meant to be a low sporty sports car, but it surprises you and really stick to the road with the tight suspension and steering. I'm not a fan of lowered IS's as well, I prefer a stock sleeper look, if ya know what I mean .

Old 03-29-13, 10:15 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really want tight handling, then get a decent set of adjustable coilovers so u can keep the car raised at the hight that u want, u can also put a sway bar in the rear to keep the bodyroll in check, then the car will handle better than a 3 series's dn will embarrass the x3

Don't waste ur time w springs as you'll probably want to upgrade later anyway,
if ur gonna b on CL alot, the mod bug will hit u hard. So do it right from the begining

Last edited by ndk83; 03-29-13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 10:19 AM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by ndk83
If you really want tighandlig, then Get a decent set of coilovers and a sway bar in the rear, then the car will handle better than a 3 series.

Don't waste ur time w springs as you will probably want to upgrade later, esp if ur gonna b on CL alot, the mod bug will hit u hard.
haha thanks for the heads up! as for now, I'm not really into modding. I was looking on getting some insight on how the car handles stock as is? I'm obviously not looking for the super tight steering and suspension from BMW, but do still have decent expectations.

Old 03-29-13, 10:28 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYG
haha thanks for the heads up! as for now, I'm not really into modding. I was looking on getting some insight on how the car handles stock as is? I'm obviously not looking for the super tight steering and suspension from BMW, but do still have decent expectations.

Not really a fan of the stock handling. It's floaty and disconnected. You should tests drive the car to see for ur self
Old 03-29-13, 10:51 AM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by ndk83
Not really a fan of the stock handling. It's floaty and disconnected. You should tests drive the car to see for ur self
Will be doing so tomorrow, thanks for the input again!
Old 03-29-13, 10:54 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Sway bar will help. I came from an m3 to 350 it night and day between the two. Even my buddy ISF doesn't handle corners like the M3. But I sure it should better than the SUV x3.

Last edited by laobo979; 03-29-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 11:19 AM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
Sway bar will help. I came from an m3 to 350 it night and day between the two. Even my buddy ISF doesn't handle corners like the M3. But I sure it should better than the SUV x3.
Thanks for the input! You'd be surprised how well the X3 sticks to the ground, it feels like a big sedan almost. I'll test out the IS tomorrow and give in my 2c tomorrow!
Old 03-29-13, 11:41 AM
NYG
Driver

Quick question guys- if you have heated seats does it mean you also have ventilated seats or is that just an option on its own?
Old 03-29-13, 12:44 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

You can have heated or heated/vented.

Jeff
Old 03-29-13, 01:09 PM
jleeIS
Driver School Candidate

I also would recommend getting some adjustable coilovers as I'm not a fan of the stock suspension either, though you mentioned you didn't really wanna do any modding. Maybe the handling will be to your liking coming from the x3 even though I'm sure that handled pretty good.
Old 03-29-13, 03:54 PM
joedr
Rookie

Coilovers for better handling is a must on the IS250s. Also, getting the Fsport bars and springs should also provide an upgraded handling.
Old 03-30-13, 12:03 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus just does not compare to BMW 3 series when it comes to "spirited" driving, no not in a straight line guys... I'm positive the IS250 will handle better than your X3 though.
Old 03-30-13, 11:31 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get coilovers, just don't expect to go too low on an AWD model. They HATE low heights. The car will have a weird wobble while accelerating at low speeds. It happens because of stretched front axles, which also leads to ripped CV boots. None of which is evident on RWD models. Good luck!

BTW I had an AWD and now own RWD.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW vs Lexus IS handling