Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping to see if anyone can share if they noticed a change or not
Old 06-20-14, 10:39 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone else done this as well?

Can I use something like this from ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PURPLE-350ML-CYLINDER-OIL-CATCH-CAN-TANK-W-DRAIN-PLUG-SUPRA-7MGTE-4AGE-/251005268699?_trksid=p2054897.l5658
Old 06-30-14, 08:11 AM
Gee5
Driver School Candidate

Okay so I installed my OCC by Token Solutions and for the first time I experienced my engine running rough while RPM's were bouncing up and down around 10,000. Originally I was happy to get the OCC on at 42,000 miles and never experience carbon build up issues. Since I bought the 2008 AWD at 28k miles I use Mobil1 full synthetic, change every 5k and only 95 octane.
Check engine light illuminated and check VSC came on. Must I add that I immediately removed the OCC and connected everything back to normal? Started her up again and the rough idle was gone and she ran smooth. Connected the OBD erased the errors and tossed the OCC in the trunk. There were no kinks in the hose and everything was tightened well.

Is it normal to experience a rough idle after first connecting an OCC? Has anyone had this same issue?
Old 06-30-14, 09:39 AM
LEOHis250
Driver School Candidate

I too would like an answer or suggestion for this^^^ I just installed TS occ recently I'm wondering if it's gonna make any difference or just making something else go wack in the long run.
Old 07-03-14, 01:16 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee5
Okay so I installed my OCC by Token Solutions and for the first time I experienced my engine running rough while RPM's were bouncing up and down around 10,000. Originally I was happy to get the OCC on at 42,000 miles and never experience carbon build up issues. Since I bought the 2008 AWD at 28k miles I use Mobil1 full synthetic, change every 5k and only 95 octane.
Check engine light illuminated and check VSC came on. Must I add that I immediately removed the OCC and connected everything back to normal? Started her up again and the rough idle was gone and she ran smooth. Connected the OBD erased the errors and tossed the OCC in the trunk. There were no kinks in the hose and everything was tightened well.

Is it normal to experience a rough idle after first connecting an OCC? Has anyone had this same issue?
I haven't noticed anything like this and I've had my OCC installed for over 14k miles. Did you drain it and see oil?
Old 07-04-14, 04:49 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by is250916
Has anyone else done this as well?

Can I use something like this from ebay?

Purple 350ml Cylinder Oil Catch Can Tank w Drain Plug Supra 7MGTE 4AGE | eBay
thats what I used on mine, the only thing is I went to Ace and bought a longer tube for the inlet blow by and added a filter for the out that goes back in the engine... it worked great and really affordable and it does collect a decent amount of oil
Old 07-07-14, 10:29 AM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee5

Sounds just like a tech email I got a while ago- 99% certain you have the drain valve open causing a vacuum leak. Close the drain valve and you should be good to go- drain it every time the oil gets changed.
Old 07-07-14, 10:38 AM
Token1
Rookie

Originally Posted by LEOHis250
I too would like an answer or suggestion for this^^^ I just installed TS occ recently I'm wondering if it's gonna make any difference or just making something else go wack in the long run.
It, like other quality cans, catches a lot of oil, so its pretty safe to say it makes a difference.

Making something else go wack in the long run? Catch cans are really simple devices, I don't know how it can go wack unless like the other post, it wasn't installed correctly and/or the drain valve is left open, making it a vacuum leak like a cheap can could as well if its not designed to be air tight. I guess cheap cans or bad DIY jobs could make something go wack if the DIY/cheap internal baffling material becomes dislodged and gets sucked into your induction system. Other than those obvious things, its like a grounding kit, pretty passive and hard to mess up.

As far as air fuels and stuff, this isn't like installing injectors, a fuel pump, or EMS, or even an intake that throws off the MAF sampling pipe diameter, its a very passive device that does one thing, catches oil vapors so your intake valves don't. IMO the only failure it could have is a vacuum leak, something that will obviously propagate to how the car feels and easy to trouble shoot and remedy.

With early adopters of Direct Injection, be it VW, BMW, Kia, Lexus etc, IMO a good catch can is mandatory to make up for the the OEM engineers did bringing this technology into the market. I run TS, a lot of the mods are for guys modifying- injectors, EMS, MAF flanges etc, stuff for DIY turbo'ing and such, the can is a different story. This is a mod that even a Grandma with an IS250 should have done- my kits are sold out and IMO its so important to do this mod, IMO don't wait up for me, get a good can from anywhere and find a way to install it (as it won't be bolt-on/PNP) and start with the prevention of further build-up.

- summary, this isn't a sales pitch, I don't even have cans to sell right now, its important that people start using OCCs as I don't put a lot of faith in Lexus's "updated pistons and piston rings". My 06 has this update, and my can still catches a crud load of oil every 5K.
Old 07-07-14, 10:53 AM
LEOHis250
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for clearing this up..^^^ I drive my car daily and everytime I keep watching that RPM, crossing my fingers that it stays steady at idle. So far so good I've had the TS occ for 2k miles now I'm wondering what the can looks like when I drain it same time with oil change. How many miles can the occ be use for until it's time to replace for new one?
Old 07-10-14, 12:54 PM
Token1
Rookie

IMO you can possibly go two oil changes without draining, but I wouldn't push it that far. Its designed to not get backed up, so if it fills to capacity, it simply does not catch anymore, but it doesn't block flow.

No need to get a new one, simply drain the current one. Its a passive system, does not require new filter media, basically is a lifetime component.
Old 07-12-14, 11:12 PM
LEOHis250
Driver School Candidate

After 2k miles using TS occ I was shocked how much black sludge oil was collected so also IMO it works! I pulled it off when I traded in the car so if anyone needs one PM me.
Old 07-13-14, 02:14 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Apologies if this has been asked before, but has anyone simply disconnected the PCV line and let it vent into the atmosphere? Is there any electronic monitor that would prevent this?
Old 07-16-14, 08:56 AM
Mrhavasu
Driver School Candidate

I would like to know this also.
Old 07-16-14, 11:16 AM
toony15333
Pole Position

Anyone can share a tutorial how to install one of these?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Oil Catch Can Experiment