IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Automatic Transmission AI-Shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 01:39 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission AI-Shift

Are AI Shift functions only active when in D position with, ECT PWR selected?

Silvex
(still wrestling with the 27 pages of :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...=run+ect+power)
Old 03-12-13, 09:54 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read that same thread that you linked in your post a while back.

What I came out of that is that:
The fastest way off the line is in D and ECT Normal mode
AI Shift functions don't exactly apply in S-mode (I could be wrong with the constant debating on that thread)
People confuse the throttle for transmission changes when the ECT PWR is engaged (also hotly debated on that thread)
ECT PWR holds gears longer and will downshift from 6th to 5th for a rapid acceleration when in motion

Last edited by knguyenk; 03-12-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-12-13, 10:50 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@knguyenk

The fastest way off the line is in D and ECT Normal mode with TSC VDIM off would improve this
AI Shift functions don't exactly apply in S-mode You've engaged the limiter
People confuse the throttle for transmission changes when the ECT PWR is engaged (also hotly debated on that thread) not touching this with a ten foot pole for reasons aforementioned
ECT PWR holds gears longer and will downshift from 6th to 5th for a rapid acceleration when in motion the same with 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd - this is to be in the better half of the gear
Old 03-12-13, 02:41 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
@knguyenk

The fastest way off the line is in D and ECT Normal mode with TSC VDIM off would improve this
People confuse the throttle for transmission changes when the ECT PWR is engaged (also hotly debated on that thread) not touching this with a ten foot pole for reasons aforementioned
ECT PWR holds gears longer and will downshift from 6th to 5th for a rapid acceleration when in motion the same with 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd - this is to be in the better half of the gear
Yeah, the S-mode is just a top gear limiter. I kind of learned that from another thread so that's kind of why I didn't mention it.
Old 03-13-13, 12:27 PM
Silvex
Rookie

Originally Posted by knguyenk
I read that same thread that you linked in your post a while back.

The fastest way off the line is in D and ECT Normal mode
AI Shift functions don't exactly apply in S-mode (I could be wrong with the constant debating on that thread)
People confuse the throttle for transmission changes when the ECT PWR is engaged (also hotly debated on that thread)
ECT PWR holds gears longer and will downshift from 6th to 5th for a rapid acceleration when in motion

<The fastest way off the line is in D and ECT Normal mode>
Yes agreed. Exactly as you say.
But it must be WOT, ok?

I feel that the issue of whether you are talking about WOT or part throttle, is crucial to the how AI-Shift works debate.

<AI Shift functions don't exactly apply in S-mode (I could be wrong with the constant debating on that thread) >
I think it is quite clear (although I have to say, I believe everything that Kurtz says!).

The TIS that Kurtz posted for us said:
"AI-Shift Control is effect (sorry about the grammar, but that's exactly how it was printed) only with the shift lever in the D postiion, ... AI-Shift Control will be cancelled when the driver selects the S mode".
If that's what Toyota/Lexus say, we have to believe it, right?

<ECT PWR holds gears longer and will downshift from 6th to 5th for a rapid acceleration when in motion>
Oh dear ... .....
Please do not take this as being critical.
Please stay with me on this.
We need to get this clear.
Its important.
I'm pleased you have said this.
We can discuss.

No.
Kurtz definitely says, "Normal mode holds gears longer. That's why normal is better for drag racing."
He must mean Normal, without ECT PWR selected.
Do you agree?

Can we just clear up these points first?

We can then move back, if that's ok, to my question "Are AI Shift functions only active when in D position with, ECT PWR selected?"

I suppose I could have said,
what AI-Shift functions, if any, are present in Normal Mode without, ECT PWR selected?

Oh boy!

Others may now be able to see why the other thread went on for 27 pages!

Let's try to nail this thing once and for all.

Silvex
Old 03-13-13, 12:38 PM
Silvex
Rookie

@knguyenk

UniSlayEX, thanks a lot for this.
Particularly, "TSC VDIM off would improve this"

I've just responded to knguyenk.

Would you mind expanding on "You've engaged the limiter"
I don't understand this.
But I do understand that the paddles or stick just select a range of gears. They do nothing else.

Silvex
Old 03-14-13, 11:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

AI-SHIFT should work in both ECT-NORMAL and ECT-PWR... that's why in the TIS thing I posted it mentions that AI-Shift uses the position of the pattern select switch as one of its inputs. If it only worked in a single position of the switch that wouldn't make sense.

The items called out under drivers intention support control would be the ones that are only "on" in POWER mode, because it specifies that in the right hand column-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5807368-post24.html

Item 2 in that list might be where the "holds gear longer" confusion comes from.

Floored, the car holds gears longer in NORMAL mode. That's why it beats PWR mode in a drag race.

Pulling suddenly off the gas pedal, in 2nd through 5th, the car holds the _current_ gear longer in PWR mode, assuming you will resume accelerating soon and will want to be in the same gear when you do.
Old 03-14-13, 01:07 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knguyenk
Yeah, the S-mode is just a top gear limiter. I kind of learned that from another thread so that's kind of why I didn't mention it.
Cool, most of us know - just putting out there to reiterate and let OP know.

Originally Posted by Silvex
Would you mind expanding on "You've engaged the limiter"
I don't understand this.
But I do understand that the paddles or stick just select a range of gears. They do nothing else.

Silvex
Okay, so to best explain I'll use an example:

(Youre at a red light. You have S-mode engaged.)
The "gear" displayed is the highest gear your car will go to.
(you have the number "2" displayed but at the light you are actually in "1")
As you accelerate the car will shift from "1" to "2" as normal. At this point it will hold "2" and not go to "3" unless you change the limiter from "2" to "3".

NOTE: you can see what gear you're in by pressing the display button on your steering wheel

You may be asking yourself why and again I'll use an example.

Driving down a mountain very spiritedly (word?, probably) I leave it at "4." This keeps my RPM high and allows an ability to allow the gear to slow me down rather than the brakes.

Hope that helps....
Old 03-15-13, 10:16 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Cool, most of us know - just putting out there to reiterate and let OP know.

Okay, so to best explain I'll use an example:

(Youre at a red light. You have S-mode engaged.)
The "gear" displayed is the highest gear your car will go to.
(you have the number "2" displayed but at the light you are actually in "1")
As you accelerate the car will shift from "1" to "2" as normal. At this point it will hold "2" and not go to "3" unless you change the limiter from "2" to "3".

NOTE: you can see what gear you're in by pressing the display button on your steering wheel

You may be asking yourself why and again I'll use an example.

Driving down a mountain very spiritedly (word?, probably) I leave it at "4." This keeps my RPM high and allows an ability to allow the gear to slow me down rather than the brakes.

Hope that helps....
That does help a lot.

"(Youre at a red light. You have S-mode engaged.)
The "gear" displayed is .... "
Yup, I understand this perfectly.

"NOTE: you can see what gear you're in .... "
That's a great feature isn't it.
I'd really miss that now.

"Driving down a mountain very spiritedly (word?, probably) I leave it at "4." This keeps my RPM ...."
Yes.
Again, I understand that perfectly.
You can really feel the engine braking effect under those conditions, can't you.

Thanks for a great explanation and using examples that I can understand.

I'll be responding to Kurtz input soon (I'm really pleased he's joined our discussion).

Silvex
Old 03-15-13, 02:00 PM
Silvex
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by Kurtz
AI-SHIFT should work in both ECT-NORMAL and ECT-PWR... that's why in the TIS thing I posted it mentions that AI-Shift uses the position of the pattern select switch as one of its inputs. If it only worked in a single position of the switch that wouldn't make sense.

The items called out under drivers intention support control would be the ones that are only "on" in POWER mode, because it specifies that in the right hand column-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5807368-post24.html

Item 2 in that list might be where the "holds gear longer" confusion comes from.

Floored, the car holds gears longer in NORMAL mode. That's why it beats PWR mode in a drag race.

Pulling suddenly off the gas pedal, in 2nd through 5th, the car holds the _current_ gear longer in PWR mode, assuming you will resume accelerating soon and will want to be in the same gear when you do.
"AI-SHIFT should work in both ECT-NORMAL and ECT-PWR... If it only worked in a single position of the switch that wouldn't make sense."
Yes, I think I see what you are saying here i.e "that wouldn't make sense."

"The items called out under drivers intention support control would be the ones that are only "on" in POWER mode, because it specifies that in the right hand column "
Ok, I can see that too.

"Item 2 in that list might be where the "holds gear longer" confusion comes from."
Yes, good point.
I had never thought of this.
I think you may be right.

"Floored, the car holds gears longer in NORMAL mode. That's why it beats PWR mode in a drag race."
I've burned this into my memory, you'll be pleased to know!

"Pulling suddenly off the gas pedal, in 2nd through 5th, the car holds the _current_ gear longer in PWR mode, assuming you will resume accelerating soon and will want to be in the same gear when you do"
Yes, that is exactly what my car does.
The "... assuming you will resume accelerating soon and will want to be in the same gear when you do" is a good example of the AI-Shift "intelligence" I guess.
Because 9 times out of 10, that is exactly what you want to do - resume acceleration and get going.

Can I press you for even more information?

My original question was:
<Are AI Shift functions only active when in D position with, ECT PWR selected?>

You have said yes, to that.
"AI-SHIFT should work in both ECT-NORMAL and ECT-PWR... "
(I'm wary of your use of the word 'should' though )

"that's why in the TIS thing I posted it mentions that AI-Shift uses the position of the pattern select switch as one of its inputs."
That example gave a table for ECT PWR selected, POWER shown in right hand column.

Is there a similar table for NORMAL mode?

That is, in D with the pattern switch in NORMAL position.

What features can we expect the AI-Shift Control to give us for that mode?

Silvex