Sparkplugs Done with RPM Irregularity

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 12:11 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sparkplugs Done with RPM Irregularity

Follow up to my CSP question thread earlier in the week:

Just got the sparkplugs done my IS 250 AWD as a result of the CSP diagnosis, as it was 20k miles overdue and they were original with the car. The car started up fine but the RPMs were sitting around 1500-1800 RPM when it first starts up and sits at 1000 RPM during idle while the car is in drive.

I decided to reset the ECU by pulling the negative terminal on the battery and let it stay unplugged for a little over 10 mins before replugging it back on. I think the RPMs should be okay now (as I started it after putting the terminal back on the battery), but I'll have to drive it around to check.

Has anyone had this kind of RPM irregularity after having you sparkplugs done?
Old 03-06-13, 02:45 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you, an independent or a dealer do the work?
Old 03-06-13, 02:47 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Keppie
did you, an independent or a dealer do the work?
I had a mechanic outside of the dealer work on the car. They're a family friend that owns a business out in West Palm.

I just noticed that the power windows don't go up or down automatically anymore.

EDIT: Thanks to the FAQ sticky, the windows go up and down automatically.

Last edited by knguyenk; 03-06-13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 08:00 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't be normal. Take it back, explain the situtaion and ask him to check everything out otherwise you are going to have to pay another mechanic or dealer to work on it. A family friend would want to know about the problem.
Old 03-06-13, 08:27 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Keppie
Can't be normal. Take it back, explain the situtaion and ask him to check everything out otherwise you are going to have to pay another mechanic or dealer to work on it. A family friend would want to know about the problem.
I over-watched the whole process and it was pretty much routine and the spark-plugs were bought from a local Lexus dealer, pretty much the way one of the DIYs showed it on the FAQ sticky.

After driving around the car is behaving more normally while moving (RPM wise) and the idle RPMs are sitting at 1000 now in Park and around 850-900 RPM in Drive. I think the ECU is re-learning how to utilize the new spark-plugs.
Old 03-06-13, 09:32 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the battery was disconnected, then the ECU would be relearning. Nothing to be afraid of, let it do it's thing and it will be good while the RPM's adjust.

Probably noticed, too when you tried ot start the car after staring the, you have to start it twice.

Two other things to note.
You have to open and close each window fully the auto open works properly.
Any Tacho and Speedometer indicator settings you have customized before is reset back to the default values.

Last edited by Sango; 03-06-13 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 09:57 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sango
If the battery was disconnected, then the ECU would be relearning. Nothing to be afraid of, let it do it's thing and it will be good while the RPM's adjust.

Probably noticed, too when you tried ot start the car after staring the, you have to start it twice.

Two other things to note.
You have to open and close each window fully the auto open works properly.
Any Tacho and Speedometer indicator settings you have customized before is reset back to the default values.
I was surprised that my navigation, radio settings, and trip counters survived after the battery being disconnected. Though my MPG AVG, Tank AVG, and clock were the only things affected along with the windows.

I did notice that it took me two times to start it up after putting the battery back on which freaked me out initially and I opened and closed all my windows after finding out that they didn't automatically go up or down.
Old 03-07-13, 10:19 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knguyenk
I was surprised that my navigation, radio settings, and trip counters survived after the battery being disconnected. Though my MPG AVG, Tank AVG, and clock were the only things affected along with the windows.

I did notice that it took me two times to start it up after putting the battery back on which freaked me out initially and I opened and closed all my windows after finding out that they didn't automatically go up or down.
Yes, the MPG/AVG/Tank all reset as well. It can also be reset by simply holding the DISP button if I recall correctly.

For the 2008+ cars, they got built in memory for the windows so that is one less thing you have to set back.
Old 03-07-13, 03:26 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Yes, the MPG/AVG/Tank all reset as well. It can also be reset by simply holding the DISP button if I recall correctly.

For the 2008+ cars, they got built in memory for the windows so that is one less thing you have to set back.
Ah, that would of been nice to have those stats would of been remembered.

An update: upon further inspection, I found that the the rubber tubing that goes from the intake to the throttle body was crimped in a way where it probably messed with the air flow into the manifold. So, I took apart the intake and reinstalled it properly. And I decided that it would be best to reset the ECU (again, via fuses instead ) and am back to square one with relearning with the ECU.

Idle RPM in P: ~1100-1200
Idle RPM in D: ~900-1000

I'm hoping that those idling RPMs will drop back to the way they were before the service.
Old 03-07-13, 04:45 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Wrong you still have to reset the window.
Old 03-08-13, 01:33 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by laobo979
Wrong you still have to reset the window.
No because they did change it and there are other members who mentioned about it. I forgot what year when they did it.

For my 2011 car, I had the battery out for a while when I was doing work on it and it remembered the window.
Old 03-08-13, 09:40 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

The change to the windows happened for the 2009 model year, not 2008. The entire control system was updated, including adding variable speed (the windows slow down as they reach the end of their travel). On the newer vehicles there is no need to reset the windows after disconnecting the battery.

Jeff
Old 03-08-13, 09:57 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

I'm still scratching my head on why the RPMs are still rather on the high side, but I'm digging the responsiveness of the car after getting the sparkplugs done. I need to drive it more and let the ECU get used to everything and hope that is the case.
Old 03-09-13, 11:06 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Default UPDATE: Fixed!

I figured out the issue to my idling RPM issue, it was my throttle body that was giving me that issue. I took my intake apart and pushed the throttle plate back into the neutral position that is parallel to the circular openings and my RPMs are back to normal.
Old 03-09-13, 12:00 PM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Great fix!! Hmm maybe want to reset the ECU again just in case as a precaution.

Quick Reply: Sparkplugs Done with RPM Irregularity