IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS 350 = 3000$ oil leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 05:42 AM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by heliskiier
OK, so how much and how fast is the oil typically leaking? If it's 2-3 qts between changes why in the world would anyone spend $3k to fix it when putting in a few quarts does the trick? We Saab guys know all about leaks. Often they are not terminal or dangerous if one keeps an eye on them. I'm curious being a learning IS guy. If the stuff isn't spewing and only dripping a bit, what's the problem?

This is kinda tied to my thread asking about 2007 IS350 "gremlins" and how to buy a good one. If the oil thing is a terminal issue, I'm not buying the car even if it only happens to even to one of 10 or 20 and it's terminal if not fixed. If it's a small leak that only makes a little mess on the motor and floor, I'm fine with it.
I think this is only a problem on certain 2006 models so you shouldn't have this on the car you are looking at but you'll be able to tell if you shine a light down on the passenger side front of the motor and see if its been leaking oil from that area. I don't think most are willing to pay 3k to have it fixed, thats just what it costs from the dealer and over time it becomes more of an annoyance to keep putting oil in and I bet some of us are **** about leaks on our cars, I know I am Some high mileage 350s report burning oil (not leaking) but that could be tied to other issues like bad rings or bad PCV valves. At 80k, it shouldn't burn much but thats something you'll find out if you purchase the car, or simply ask the current owner if the car burns any oil. I did when I bought mine and it doesn't burn much of anything over 5k miles and the car has 120k on it.
Old 06-13-17, 04:48 PM
Dems562
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian7
Well I thought I had the timing cover leak from hell but it turns out behind the injector box (clunky box on the pass side front of the motor) there is an access plate for something inside the pass side head. I vaguely remember reading something about someone else finding a leak there but mine was also leaking from there. I pulled the plate off, smeared FIPG on both sides of the gasket and bolted it back up. Driven about 500 miles since and haven't seen any sign of leaking oil. It's pretty clear to see when that injector harness box is out of the way if yours is leaking or not. Mine had dirt covered oil piled up around the very bottom bolt holding that plate on. Point being, check your car out! It might be easier than you think to fix.
can you send me a pic of the area you talking about i would gladly appreciate it thanks mine is leaking from somewhere in the motor in the passenger side aswell i justcan't see where exactly
Old 11-04-22, 10:53 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Bringing this thread back up again... had my '06 diagnosed with the leaky timing cover and a $4500 estimate to fix (includes 26 hours of labor at $150/hr in San Diego). Looking for a lower price shop in SD area as well. In doing some research, I came across this YT video (
). The ad hoc fix in the video didn't work but the important item was in the comments. A Lexus Tech was commenting about doing the job in a couple hours by removing the front clip to get access. I'm about ready to buy this guy a flight to San Diego to do this fix!

Old 11-06-22, 08:12 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

"Unfortunately it didn't last. Please see the following up video linked in the video description. What did end up working and has held for 8 months so far was potting the area using black permatex "the right stuff". The shape of the head and block around the area made it relatively easy to do." - Canuckrz

Old 11-06-22, 08:56 AM
autovation
Intermediate

That was what I meant when writing "The ad hoc fix in the video didn't work but the important item was in the comments.". The Lexus Tech in the comments had a quick way to do the fix the right way. Sounds like they removed the front clip and do the fix instead of dropping the engine (or doing the ad hoc fix that didn't work in the video). The Tech says only an experienced mechanic should try the removing the front clip method.
Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan
"Unfortunately it didn't last. Please see the following up video linked in the video description. What did end up working and has held for 8 months so far was potting the area using black permatex "the right stuff". The shape of the head and block around the area made it relatively easy to do." - Canuckrz
Old 11-06-22, 03:28 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vleong1
Sorry no write-up but I did take some pictures throughout the repair.
Would love to see the pictures! I think this is the method the Lexus Tech commenter on YouTube was referencing where it was done in 4 hours instead of 24 hours.