IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thought about parting out my car.... Thoughts??

Old 02-21-13, 09:28 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thought about parting out my car.... Thoughts??

Hey guys, so I've owned my is250 for just over a year and I've got to say I've loved every minute of it. I didn't start modding it til about July last year, but since then it's been awesome. I love how it's turning out so far, and I see everyone here on ClubLexus with extraordinary builds going or even already completed and it's really inspiring. (I really didnt even know much about modding a 2IS before I joined ClubLexus). So the bottom line is that I love my 2IS but then came a Scion FRS. I was browsing around a few weeks ago and saw a sick FRS and so I was curious as to how the modding game looks as an FRS owner. And I've got to say that there is so much out there for an FRS, aesthetically and performance wise. It's just a better car to mod, and as in better i mean more available options. It's just do I stick with the luxurious classy 2IS or go to a mod friendly FRS.

So anyways, I was wondering what you guys thought about the two. I've never seen a modded FRS up close in person. So if you guys have experience in seekng both cars and/or have friends with them, give me your input on what you've heard. I know there's a few members here with both so if you guys chimed in that would be great. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-21-13, 09:36 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FRS is definitely at the center stage right now in terms of mod-friendlyness. Top gear also gave it raving reviews in the handling department. One thing i'm worried about though is that in 2-3 years, every teenager is going to have a FRS. Not sure what your demographics or if this is a concern for you though.

Best of luck on your 2IS if you decide to part out. Probably one of my favorite SGM's out there. Can i start calling dibs on parts? :-)
Old 02-21-13, 09:40 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Pull the trigger on it. I'd get one but I love my sc300 too much
Old 02-21-13, 09:44 AM
yammy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmanliu
FRS is definitely at the center stage right now in terms of mod-friendlyness. Top gear also gave it raving reviews in the handling department. One thing i'm worried about though is that in 2-3 years, every teenager is going to have a FRS. Not sure what your demographics or if this is a concern for you though.

Best of luck on your 2IS if you decide to part out. Probably one of my favorite SGM's out there. Can i start calling dibs on parts? :-)
I agree on the FRS/BRZ hahah. It's can imagine it already beginning to replace the teenage crave for the Acura Integra or Acura RSX
Old 02-21-13, 09:47 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by yammy
I agree on the FRS/BRZ hahah. It's can imagine it already beginning to replace the teenage crave for the Acura Integra or Acura RSX
Give it a couple years.

My 2gs is beginning to turn into the new Honda.

For OP, you can get one now while they are still new. I've
Seen a few on the street modded and they are definitely head turners. Sometimes I think the same Lexus costs too much to mod!
Old 02-21-13, 09:48 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was waiting for the FRS for a long time and I was also looking at the 2IS. The chance to buy a 350 came up and every once and a while I look back at the FRS. Really, my honest opinion about mods for the 2IS is that there are only a hand full of options because of the aspiration and the luxury side of it. What it comes down to is how you like to mod - I've always looked at your ride as one of the CLEANEST SGMs out there. Something Im looking forward to completing with mine. If youre looking at something to mod heavily the FRS is definitely center stage right now, and if the wheels and offsets transfer over easily, you got a great looking ride off the bat. I felt that the interior was lacking, but if you love it - Do it.

PS - i call second dibs if you do LOL
Old 02-21-13, 10:02 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't do it...the FRS is nice but right now all I'm seeing is either older enthusiast hooking them up or rich daddies buy their 16 year old it because it looks kool...in the end it will become like a Scion TC or Honda Civic...all 16 year olds will have it and call you grandpa of the FRS lol...
Old 02-21-13, 10:08 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

haha i was actually looking at FRS today and they do look good modded but for me i cant go back to 2 door and as ryan say they gonna turn into scion tc and honda civic. Here are the 2 links of the ones i saw today:

http://www.canibeat.com/2013/02/simp...fab-scion-frs/

http://www.canibeat.com/2012/10/wall...013-scion-frs/

Very tempting tho i even went as far as looking up the prices for the full lip kit and suspension.....
Old 02-21-13, 10:46 AM
LEXX135
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see it as a teenager car I wouldn't get it. To me honestly it's a downgrade.
Old 02-21-13, 10:52 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2 of my friends just got FRSs ... That car is amazing - and handles crazy good. If I had the funds I'd pick it up as a second car.
Old 02-21-13, 10:53 AM
RyanIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i say do it, it sounds like you prefer something more mod friendly. what the car lacks in interior and luxury, def makes up for in the handling and fun to drive department. a friend of mine just picked up a white and is loving every minute of it. even if the frs does become the next civic or rsx, with the abundance of mods for the car you will have no problem setting yourself apart.
Old 02-21-13, 10:56 AM
jbone29
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My honest opinion is the FRS interior looks really cheap. I went to my Toyota dealership to get my oil changed on my car and my friend works there. We drove a FRS they had just received. It drove great but very cheap feeling. I won't lie, it felt good getting back into my IS350.
Old 02-21-13, 11:31 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to purchase an FR-S before I upgraded to my IS350, from my IS250. As much as I love the FR-S, I'm glad I went to an IS350. Mainly because of the amenities and the bit of luxury.

I remember seeing a modded FR-S for the first time last year: it was silver and slammed on some 5 spoke Rotiforms, and it looked REALLY good, especially since it already has a low ride height. I had to give him a shout and thumbs up for it. After that, he was following me for a bit, and I kept looking in my rear view admiring it.
Old 02-21-13, 12:04 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt replace my 2IS for an FRS/BRZ but wouldnt mind a for a project car
Old 02-21-13, 12:32 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep you IS, it already looks nice. There are at least 10 modded FRS at our weekly car meets here in Vegas. All owned by a bunch of young high school kids. I'm already tired of seeing them everywhere. And your IS interior is much nicer. Its up to you though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thought about parting out my car.... Thoughts??