IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Plati-Dip Rims, the new way??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 06:02 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plati-Dip Rims, the new way??

So I had a few questions about installing springs and painting my rims on my IS. I called my local car tinting/alarm/custom stop, "all star" yesterday to see if they painted rims. I received a unique response...:

"oh ya man, let me tell you, have you ever heard of plati-dip rims? We just did it to a bmw, and it turned out amazing. Its $220 for 4 rims, and it lasts up to 4 years. We can do all colors and shades, matte or glossy, you have to check it out. Hell, we can dip your whole car!"

Of course I wouldnt dip my car, but I am considering the rim job (cough). 220 to turn my stock is250 rims from that off white to a light glossy gun metal gray, I think would look sick on my obsidian black 250.

anyone hear of this being done?
Old 02-14-13, 06:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This is very popular, however many (including myself) feel like it looks cheap - especially when done on a Lexus.

You can get your wheels powder coated for not much more than they are quoting you for plastidip (Which btw would cost you $50 for a plastidip wheel kit if you wanted to DIY)

If you are after a good looking glossy finish - instead of a cheap, semi glossy finish - just get them powder coated! Also, I hear that plastidip is very easy to damage, especially on wheels.
Old 02-14-13, 06:32 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
This is very popular, however many (including myself) feel like it looks cheap - especially when done on a Lexus.

You can get your wheels powder coated for not much more than they are quoting you for plastidip (Which btw would cost you $50 for a plastidip wheel kit if you wanted to DIY)

If you are after a good looking glossy finish - instead of a cheap, semi glossy finish - just get them powder coated! Also, I hear that plastidip is very easy to damage, especially on wheels.
Yes, the cheap look and easy damage were my 2 concerns with it, but I just wasnt sure. I thought powder coating would give it more of a buffered look, not a shiny finish?
Old 02-14-13, 06:37 AM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

And 220 is expensive when you can get the wheel kit for less than 70 bucks or so.
Old 02-14-13, 06:40 AM
jbone29
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can usually get 4 wheels powder coated for around $100 each, at least where i live. i would not do it. i have seen first hand plastidip wheels on a 350Z, at first they looked really good. But after a couple of months the wheels looked like they were 10 years old. Your choice, just speaking from experience.
Old 02-14-13, 06:42 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont do it. First off, plasti dip on wheels looks cheap.

You can do it yourself if you really wanted, its not that hard
Old 02-14-13, 07:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

lol last for 4 years. wait until 2 weeks when it starts to chip.
Old 02-14-13, 07:46 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

does anyone know of a thread that has images of power coated/painted rims, I want to see what colors might go well with my black IS250, im thinking a light glossy gray, but im not sure yet. I tried the search bar, but it comes up with many unrelated threads.
Old 02-14-13, 07:54 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check this out

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?cat=10
Old 02-14-13, 08:19 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Just google search for powder coated rims... I doubt you will be able to tell which rims are powder coated and which rims are factory painted a certain color.

I have seen many powder coated rims, and when done right, they are extremely smooth and glossy. Shops around here will do 4 wheels for $300-$400.

GET THEM POWDER COATED!
Old 02-14-13, 08:22 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$220 to plastidip rims? wow they are making a killing on that...

+1 for NO to plastidip. I had done it to some car accessories that just needed some paint to hide the rust s(i.e. trailer hitch, trailer, etc) and it worked fine and has held up. But definitely looks cheap, lots of texture, and attracts dust easily. Also a PITA to clean. I would save up and get your rims painted or powder coated.
Old 02-14-13, 08:28 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lysis250
just because you can, doesnt mean you should.

a member on a local forum near me did his gfs car for a quick temp color change

Old 02-14-13, 09:08 AM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't dip your rims. Save $ and do it the correct way, powercoat it. And for that amount the shop is charging you is ridiculous when you can easily do it yourself. Dip is only good for small accents and as a temporary change up, not long term. It starts to look like crap after while and fades adding on a cheap looking texture. Trust me. I spent a decent amount of $ on dip cans lol.
Old 02-14-13, 09:10 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI

WOW, that's probably the brightest shade of pink I've ever seen on a car.

To the OP, Plasti-dip is an inexpensive alternative to paint, but allows for more flexibility; so if you don't like it/get bored, you can literally peel it off. The stuff has been around for years, but its a new trend with car guys. If you want a temporary fix, it's great. But if you're looking for something that will last, paint/powder-coat are your best options. Plus, powder-coating can be done in a multitude of finishes, from matte to glossy, metallic, etc., whereas most plasti-dip looks matte, even with gloss added. I know a few people that have done this to their wheels, and as a prank, one guy peeled the dip off of one of his friend's wheels...
Old 02-14-13, 09:12 AM
ISmak4
Driver

In my opinion I'm only plastidipping my rims because it's a temporary way of getting a different look with the car before buying rims. and also to protect them over the snowy/wet weather in the winter.

Quick Reply: Plati-Dip Rims, the new way??