IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I trade in my Lexus IS 350 for a CT 200h?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 10:01 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're looking for me to give you the thumbs up or green light. You won't get it from me. Just keep the car you have. How far do you drive for work daily? The IS is a much nicer car. Just to give you an idea. My sister who also drives a 250 got the CT as a loaner said it was so darn slow and didn't like it at all after driving it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-10-13, 10:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

1) Never ever ever ever buy or trade a car based on monthly payments. I guarantee you the dealer is burrying costs you will never know about. This is literally throwing money in a dumpster and watching the truck lift the can to empty it. Always, break down what you owe on your car seperately, bargain on a new one seperately, and figure out the difference that way. The best customer a dealer can have is someone like you walking in asking to keep the payments the same or close. It's one of the oldest gimmicks in the book and the easiest way for a dealer to rob someone.

2) If you get rid of the IS now, you are going to significantly lose financially. If you are aching for a different car, at least try to wait a few years when you have paid some of it off. I know this can be difficult, but you would feel better about it in the longrun. As others have mentioned, the money you save on gas with the CT will be lost with the money you lose on the IS. Then you are left with a lesser car, but with no cost savings.

3) I had a CT loaner for six weeks and felt it was a definite step down from the IS. It rode just as bumpy as my sport suspension car. The sound of the four cylinder was not pretty and it was weak on power while on the freeway. Putting it in sport mode helped, but mileage suffered markedly. Also, at least for me, not having a manual shifting automatic was boring and non-sporty. Interior materials were okay, but not up to IS standards, and lack of wood trim left a cold feeling.
Old 02-10-13, 10:56 PM
Mingus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether she trades now or trades later there is going to be a significant financial hit.

With the new IS coming out later this year, her trade in value is going to go down at least another ten percent.

So instead of getting 34K, she's going to get 31K.

Or she keeps it until the loan is paid off. And 49 months from now, whats a 2012 IS350 going to be worth in March of 2017? 18K at the most private sale, 15K trade in? And that's assuming relatively low mileage and well taken care of.

The only way to not "lose" is to keep a car ten years plus.

Luxury automobile purchases are not the path to wealth. Unless you're in the business of buying them at wholesale and selling at retail....
Old 02-11-13, 08:45 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat
Rode in my friend's CT today. It was raining outside and you could hear all the water at the bottom hitting against the car. The speaker system doesn't sound as surround as my car does. The nuluxe seats feel interesting. A lot of the materials on the inside definitely aren't the same quality as my IS. Also, I couldn't tell if it was just my friend not accelerating as much because of the dark and rain, but it was SO slow at the stop light.
dude, why didn't you drive it? I think your friend has the pedal to the metal since the 0-60 on the CT is 10 sec while the IS is 5 sec. I probably can't stand such a slow car.

It's probably no use in talking about money terms since what ever money you could lose, it's already loss if the IS is not the right car for you (i.e. the car is more than you need and you don't like it). I think the loss compare to if you just buy CT to begin with is about $12,000. If you trade for a CT, you're not financially worst off (except for the added tax of $2,500), but you basically paid $43,000 for a CT. You would save about $1000 per year in gas though if you drive 10,000 miles per year.
Old 02-13-13, 12:34 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, check out my financial reconciliation and please feel free to comment. When I originally bought my IS, I traded in my Honda for $20K so I financed about $25.9K for my Lexus (including interest). The loan amount I would have for the CT if I chose it in the first place rather than my IS would be $14.5K The price I will pay for a CT if I switch now is $23.2K (12 months worth of payments on IS + 49 months worth of new lower payments on CT). Therefore, my loss for not choosing the CT in the first place is $8.6K. However, I did drive my IS for 12 months and the cost to lease it for that long would have been $4.7K. Therefore, my net loss is really $3.9K.
Old 02-13-13, 12:39 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat
Hey guys, check out my financial reconciliation and please feel free to comment. When I originally bought my IS, I traded in my Honda for $20K so I financed about $25.9K for my Lexus (including interest). The loan amount I would have for the CT if I chose it in the first place rather than my IS would be $14.5K The price I will pay for a CT if I switch now is $23.2K (12 months worth of payments on IS + 49 months worth of new lower payments on CT). Therefore, my loss for not choosing the CT in the first place is $8.6K. However, I did drive my IS for 12 months and the cost to lease it for that long would have been $4.7K. Therefore, my net loss is really $3.9K.
No matter how you try and spin the numbers Cat,you're losing a ton of money trading in the new IS350 you have had for a year.Much more than $3.9K.
If you like the CT,go for it.
Going from a IS350 to a CT,I still think you won't like it after a short while.
Old 02-13-13, 12:47 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Not really doing much spinning. These are actual numbers. Except some might have a problem with me netting the 8.6 loss to 3.9, but since I had one year of driving the IS, I thought of it as the cost to lease it. If it's much more than 3.9K loss overall, I'd like to see how. That's why I provided my explanation. If I'm wrong, I'm fine to know it, just back it up with numbers to prove that I'm wrong.

Like everyone says, I'm losing financially. I just want to know how much financially and if I'm willing to take that hit to switch.
Old 02-13-13, 12:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cat
Not really doing much spinning except for netting the 8.6 loss to 3.9 since I had one year of driving the IS, I thought of it as the lost to lease it. If it's much more than 3.9K loss overall, I'd like to see how. That's why I provided my explanation. If I'm wrong, I'm fine to know it, just back it up with numbers to prove that I'm wrong.

Like everyone says, I'm losing financially. I just want to know how much financially and if I'm willing to take that hit to switch.
Easy numbers.
Seems you paid $46K for the IS350.
Your numbers-Honda trade in $20K + $25.9K Lexus loan.
You're lucky if you get $35K for the trade.I doubt you will but even if you do,that's $11K you lost right there.
You actually owe more than $35K on the IS.So you have negative equity too.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-13-13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 01:04 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Yea, first year depreciation seems to be about $11K - typical for IS.

I don't owe more than $35K. I owe $22 pay off... not sure what you're talking about negative equity.

I have a dealership offering $34K for my car now.
Old 02-13-13, 01:08 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If gas is your concern, let me try to do some math here. Let's all take a deep breath...

The CT gets ~42 mpg and IS gets ~27. Assuming you drive 10k a year:

10,000m/42mpg= 238 gallons of gas a year
10,000m/27mpg = 370 gallons of gas a year

238($3.8) = $904 (premium)
238($3.6) = $856 (regular)

370($3.8) = $1407

So you're saving $500 in gas a year or $41 a month. But also factor in battery charging (unless you can tap into your neighbor's power outlet!).
Old 02-13-13, 01:08 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you already figured out how much. Now just figure out if its worth it to you. I personally wouldn't do it right now. I like the car, but it doesn't fulfill my needs at the moment when I get old..... I'd love to have one. I'm guessing you bought a 350 because you enjoy the power? That's a lot to give up. If you have the money and that's what you really want. Do it!
Old 02-13-13, 01:09 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Heard the CT's battery lasts 15 years! Correct me if I'm wrong. It charges while you brake.
Old 02-13-13, 01:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cat
Yea, first year depreciation seems to be about $11K - typical for IS.

I don't owe more than $35K. I owe $22 pay off... not sure what you're talking about negative equity.

I have a dealership offering $34K for my car now.

Total finance was $25.9.My bad.I misread the numbers.

Still losing $11K.
Yet,you say $3.9K.
Losing $11K is a big number for one year but do it if you feel comfortable.

You're losing a ton of money for what?Extra MPGs?
Don posted a $500 a year gas savings but you just lost $11K in one year.
You posted to get opinions.I think it's a silly move for a few reasons.
There's mine.
Do whatever makes you happy.
Old 02-13-13, 01:26 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Losing $11K is a sunk depreciation cost that I have already lost whether I keep or switch the car. So since I've already lost it no matter what, I'm not "losing" all $11K of it by my decision to switch. Get it?
Old 02-13-13, 01:27 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Total finance was $25.9.My bad.I misread the numbers.

Still losing $11K.
Yet,you say $3.9K.
Losing $11K is a big number for one year but do it if you feel comfortable.

You're losing a ton of money for what?Extra MPGs?
Don posted a $500 a year gas savings but you just lost $11K in one year.
You posted to get opinions.I think it's a silly move for a few reasons.
There's mine.
Do whatever makes you happy.
Thanks Joeb, and I do appreciate your opinion.

Quick Reply: Should I trade in my Lexus IS 350 for a CT 200h?