Diagnosis Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 02:19 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Diagnosis Help

Hey CL,
I'm going to try and get an appointment with the dealer this week, but thought I would reach out to the CL community and see if anyone has any insight into what the issue I'm having might be, so I can go to the dealer with as much info as possible as to what might be the cause.
The issue first started a few weeks ago, I have the F-Sport BBK up front and was re-bedding them in (which I do on occasion, just to ensure even pad material on the rotors and give them a bit of a workout).
I was finished the bed-in procedure, and driving about 80km/h when I noticed a "whirring" sound coming from the front right brake. I started to slow down and noticed my car pulling to the right and the excessive smell of brake pad burning. Obviously what was happening was that, for some reason, the brake pad wasn't coming off the rotor like it's supposed to.
I pulled over, checked things out, couldn't visibly see anything, so after about 10 minutes continued on my way and everything was fine.
I then tried to replicate this same issue about a week ago, and unfortunately was able to, but this time it was the left front brake where the issue seemed to be occurring.
Again, after pulling over for several minutes the issue seemed to resolve itself. However, now I'm hearing excessive rattling from the front while going over any sort of bumps, and if I apply the brakes lightly it goes away but as soon as I release the brakes the rattling comes back.
I should also note that there appears to be a very light brownish stain/tinge that appeared on my front rims around the same time as this issue - I've checked the brake fluid level and it's where it should be.
In summary, my symptoms are:
- front brakes pads not coming off of the rotor
- rattling from the front "brake area"
- light brownish stain on my front rims
Anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance if you've taken the time to read this as I know it's a little long!
Old 02-19-13, 03:52 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've read about different problems surrounding the F-Sport BBK, but nothing like the pad hanging up on the rotor.

GL!
Old 02-20-13, 10:39 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How long have you had the F-Sport BBK? I had the exact same issue with a set of StopTechs (I think they're the ones who made the F-Sport BBK) after I painted them. The extra layer of paint was just enough to cause the backing plate of the pad to make them stick in the area the pads sit in the caliper. I had to use a dremel and remove a small amount of the backing plate material so they would have enough clearance not to stick. When you put the pads in, did you have to force them in or did it slide right in?
Old 02-20-13, 11:58 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^I have StopTech front pads AND painted my calipers. I do have the same over-spray on the shims, but have never experienced the same issue.