IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seeing is Believing: 358rwhp, 400rwtq Supercharged IS350 (DYNO'd)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 08:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

someone explain why the torque is more than the horsepower in this application??

IS350's typically dyno stock @
265hp and 243lbft

this dyno

358hp and 400lbft
=
+93hp and +157lbft
Old 01-21-13, 09:09 PM
stewb10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually wondering the same thing. This is what i came up with: If you look at the dyno sheet, the peak Torque came at the shift from 4th into 5th. Normal IS350 dynos, due to the auto trans, can only run from about 3k-redline, or it will downshift. In my experience, snow mode did not solve that problem, as i have seen thrown around anecdotally.

Does that mean that 400wtq is exaggerated? I don't know. A dyno is a dyno. What i do know is that with the gearing, and the fact that anecdotal evidence suggests that IS350s with bolt-ons can keep up with stock Fs off the line, maybe that accepted torque value isn't fully accurate, or maybe my dyno isn't fully accurate. Also keep in mind that because this car is an automatic, it was holding that 7lb of boost even at those low RPMS. It didn't blow off. Either way, I'm quite pleased with the results of this project and the dyno read what the dyno read. I am not an expert, nor do i profess to be. These are just the thoughts that have crossed my mind.

If you look at the first graph, for my baseline torque numbers, extrapolate the graph out to where the line would go, if we could have rolled into the throttle at lower than 4krpm. Its conjecture, but if you did, it would surely be higher than 244lbft.

Last edited by stewb10; 01-21-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 09:22 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by stewb10
I was actually wondering the same thing. This is what i came up with: If you look at the dyno sheet, the peak Torque came at the shift from 4th into 5th. Normal IS350 dynos, due to the auto trans, can only run from about 3k-redline, or it will downshift. In my experience, snow mode did not solve that problem, as i have seen thrown around anecdotally.

Does that mean that 400wtq is exaggerated? I don't know. A dyno is a dyno. What i do know is that with the gearing, and the fact that anecdotal evidence suggests that IS350s with bolt-ons can keep up with stock Fs off the line, maybe that accepted torque value isn't fully accurate, or maybe my dyno isn't fully accurate. Either way, I'm quite pleased with the results of this project and the dyno read what the dyno read.
I wouldn't say anecdotal, a stock IS350 can beat an IS-F 0-30mph simply because of it's aggressive gearing. After that the 5.0 wakes up
Old 01-21-13, 09:30 PM
stewb10
Driver

Which suggests that the IS350 has more torque (due to that gearing) in the low RPMs than an F. I think that a track day will answer some questions, assuming I can hook up. Unfortunately, I've never been to the track in my life, so it may leave us with more questions than answers :P
Old 01-21-13, 09:37 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Does that mean that 400wtq is exaggerated? I don't know. A dyno is a dyno. What i do know is that with the gearing, and the fact that anecdotal evidence suggests that IS350s with bolt-ons can keep up with stock Fs off the line, maybe that accepted torque value isn't fully accurate, or maybe my dyno isn't fully accurate. Also keep in mind that because this car is an automatic, it was holding that 7lb of boost even at those low RPMS. It didn't blow off. Either way, I'm quite pleased with the results of this project and the dyno read what the dyno read. I am not an expert, nor do i profess to be. These are just the thoughts that have crossed my mind.

If you look at the first graph, for my baseline torque numbers, extrapolate the graph out to where the line would go, if we could have rolled into the throttle at lower than 4krpm. Its conjecture, but if you did, it would surely be higher than 244lbft.
Couple questions...

You said you dyno'ed in 5th gear, no snow mode?? I've always heard that 4th gear in snow mode is the proper place to dyno since gear ratio wise it comes out near 1:1. I tried in 4th, no snow mode and it was worse, so I stuck with 4th in snow mode. I have a 250, but I always read it was the same story for both.

Second, you say you were holding 7lbs of boost even in low rpm's. How can this be? Boost builds with rpm's, I don't hit 7psi until near redline.

Not "calling you" by any means, just trying to understand what I'm reading here.
Old 01-21-13, 09:45 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by heyarms
Couple questions...

You said you dyno'ed in 5th gear, no snow mode?? I've always heard that 4th gear in snow mode is the proper place to dyno since gear ratio wise it comes out near 1:1. I tried in 4th, no snow mode and it was worse, so I stuck with 4th in snow mode. I have a 250, but I always read it was the same story for both.

Second, you say you were holding 7lbs of boost even in low rpm's. How can this be? Boost builds with rpm's, I don't hit 7psi until near redline.

Not "calling you" by any means, just trying to understand what I'm reading here.
This is the general consensus on the forums and I'm sure Kurtz would love to chime in on that
Old 01-21-13, 09:46 PM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
Couple questions...

1) The best dyno was done through 4th AND 5th gear. With snow mode on. It just didn't help with the downshifts as much as we had thought it would. My dyno guy made that decision, and he knows way better than me why he did it.

2) Look at the graph. That was just my rough explanation of why boost didn't drop during the shift. Innaccurate one? Maybe, but in just looking at the objective evidence, the graphs. There is no break in throttle pressure, therefore no blow off. Also, when the car shifted, It didn't drop enough RPMs to really drop boost off too much. Maybe 7psi was a bit of an exaggeration, but I wasn't looking at The graph when I wrote it. At peak torque, we were looking at about 5.5lbs. As per the graph.
Old 01-21-13, 10:04 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

If I remember rite it's suppose to be in sport that way it holds 4th gear. Then on snow mode to get an accurate dyno never going up on gear.
Old 01-21-13, 10:10 PM
stewb10
Driver

Well I'll tell you guys what. Once I get my bigger pulley, and fix the belt slip issue, I'll come back at you guys with some new numbers. Hopefully about the same. Ive held almost 8.5psi with this pulley around the city. Can you say lean? Not safe. Once I get it dialed in around that 7.5psi mark, we will talk final numbers.
Old 01-21-13, 10:21 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice work Stewie, way to represent OH. I'm surprised u didn't take your car to slow motion motorsports like everyone else. We gotta get together sometime bud
Old 01-22-13, 10:36 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

1) The best dyno was done through 4th AND 5th gear. With snow mode on. It just didn't help with the downshifts as much as we had thought it would. My dyno guy made that decision, and he knows way better than me why he did it.
A properly done dyno stays in one gear the whole pull.

S-4 (locking out 5 and 6) and snow mode would be the ideal way to do it for an automatic 2IS.

2) Look at the graph. That was just my rough explanation of why boost didn't drop during the shift. Innaccurate one? Maybe, but in just looking at the objective evidence, the graphs. There is no break in throttle pressure, therefore no blow off. Also, when the car shifted, It didn't drop enough RPMs to really drop boost off too much. Maybe 7psi was a bit of an exaggeration, but I wasn't looking at The graph when I wrote it. At peak torque, we were looking at about 5.5lbs. As per the graph.

That 400 tq is a from a shift spike and the number should be ignored.

"real" torque never got much over 330-340 in that run.

Not to diminish what you got at all, and I'm sure the car is a blast and a half to drive, but you can't trust any dyno number around a gear shift... hence why you should dyno in a single gear (ideally the 1:1 gear).
Old 01-22-13, 11:25 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that snow mode below 3500rpms will still down shift, so wait until you get right at that moment before pulling the WOT trigger.
Old 01-22-13, 01:16 PM
aaquino3
Driver School Candidate

Those Vossen Rims are sick. I'm trying to replace my F-Sport rims with those
Old 01-23-13, 08:43 AM
stewb10
Driver

Default Point Taken

Originally Posted by Kurtz
A properly done dyno stays in one gear the whole pull.

S-4 (locking out 5 and 6) and snow mode would be the ideal way to do it for an automatic 2IS.

That 400 tq is a from a shift spike and the number should be ignored.

"real" torque never got much over 330-340 in that run.

Not to diminish what you got at all, and I'm sure the car is a blast and a half to drive, but you can't trust any dyno number around a gear shift... hence why you should dyno in a single gear (ideally the 1:1 gear).

Cool. I'm down with that. So 100whp and 100wtq, and the most powerful known 2GR-FSE ISx50 for well south of $5k. And just about a stock F. With 4.10 gears. F me right?

Topic title edited, claims rescinded. Now I'm going to wait for the weather to warm up a bit so i can go do this:

Old 01-23-13, 03:47 PM
audiohouse
Driver School Candidate

Wow thats fast....

Quick Reply: Seeing is Believing: 358rwhp, 400rwtq Supercharged IS350 (DYNO'd)