IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Please help, intermittent noise under steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 10:58 PM
infernova
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, intermittent noise under steering wheel

Hey guys, this noise under the steering wheel is driving me nuts. Brought it to the dealership twice to drive them around and was not able to reproduce the noise.

Noise stops when I am not moving. Stop at the lights
Seems to come from under the steering wheel.
Seems to be more prevalent when i have not driven for a few hours.
Intermittent, not always there, driving me nuts.

Would appreciate any help? I have got 2 small mp3 files in the zip. One is unedited, the other is with the background noise isolated *sort of*
Attached Files
File Type: zip
noise.zip (211.0 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by infernova; 01-01-13 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-01-13, 12:38 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my gf's 2009 IS250 has the same problem. We only hear it when driving on the freeway tho. What year is your IS?
Old 01-01-13, 12:50 AM
infernova
Driver School Candidate

I bought the car brand new in 2012. Does your car have the same noise coming from the steering wheel? I have been checking around on the internet and came up with this, do you think this might be the cause of our problem? http://my.is/forums/f87/sound-dashboard-445955/
Old 01-01-13, 05:16 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by infernova
I bought the car brand new in 2012. Does your car have the same noise coming from the steering wheel? I have been checking around on the internet and came up with this, do you think this might be the cause of our problem? http://my.is/forums/f87/sound-dashboard-445955/
I don't think so. The noise that I am hearing sounds like its coming from the steering column. And usually only hear it when driving on the freeway.

I've read somewhere you can experience a noise if you replaced the cabin filter incorrectly.

Maybe, search for "clicking noise from steering column"
Old 01-01-13, 07:18 PM
infernova
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man, I will do that. So the noise from your girl friends car is similar to the mp3 i posted?
Old 01-02-13, 12:52 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

yupp, sounds exactly the same. I'm going to take a closer look at it within a few days, since I'll be doing some work on her car. I'll let you know if I figure out where the noise is coming from. lmk, if you find something out as well. Thanks! Goodluck!
Old 01-02-13, 08:30 PM
infernova
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man, much obliged.
Old 01-03-13, 11:57 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Is the noise from the steering wheel column or from the panels under it? My car used to make a noise similar to that (sound like hard plastic hitting each other sometimes randomly). When I remove the panels to install a remote start for the car, I found a loose clip just sitting there.
Attached Thumbnails Please help, intermittent noise under steering wheel-imgp2659.jpg  
Old 01-09-13, 11:12 PM
infernova
Driver School Candidate

Got my car back from the dealer and initially they said there were not able to detect / reproduce the noise. I set the wife on them and after yelling them for a few minutes they said that they will look at it again.

Roll over to now, a few days later, they have gone ahead and replace the brake bush? booster? Anyway its under warranty and I no longer have this noise. The other creaks and chair noises are still there, but like bill gates says, its a feature not a bug.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Please help, intermittent noise under steering wheel-noise.png  
Old 01-10-13, 09:58 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey,

I have exactly the same noise in my 07 IS350

And it also seems to be coming from the steering wheel.

I was believing that it could be the auto tilting steering wheel mechanism having broken pieces . But now I will try to change the part that you mentioned .

thx a lot
Old 01-10-13, 08:34 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

I wonder if there was check valve in that elbow piece. I'm also curious how a brake component was at all related to the steering noise.
Old 01-11-13, 04:53 AM
infernova
Driver School Candidate

my steering wheel is on the right hand side and that part is directly behind the steering wheel
Old 01-11-13, 11:39 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

ive got a noise as well around that area. it sounds like its coming from the door tweeter. the little speaker on the door. sounds like two plastic bottles rubbing together. ive been to the dealer lots of times already, and they've done a dash tsb and lots of insulation on the door. and the noise still is around. im going into the dealership in a couple of weeks for the carbon buildup issue and going on a road test. anything i can suggest the tech while im on the test drive? or any suggestions?
Old 01-21-13, 06:01 PM
Yinzer
Driver School Candidate

I have the exact same noise. It happens only between 10 - 40 mph. It started the instant I drove my certified preowned 2010 off the lot on friday. It was not there when I test drove it a week before so I was hoping it had something to do with the detailing process.

I drove right back to the dealer and a guy who was walking out (closing time) took it for a drive and heard it and immediately pressed on the upper of the two panels under the steering wheel column. The noise went away.

Since, it has come back a few times and I just press that spot. I am shipping the car on friday so if it comes back at all before then I popping into the dealer to get something done.

What makes me curious as to the legitimacy of the brake fix is that it does go away when I brake for stops. This could very well be just a change in vibration tho and not anything to do with the brake system.

Maybe it is a clip that comes loose and pressing on the panel seats it again.
Old 01-21-13, 06:35 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try pushing on the lower panel beneath the steering wheel. This helped me diagnose my problem. I will look at the clips they it goes into and see if they need replacing.

Quick Reply: Please help, intermittent noise under steering wheel