IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

registered owner / extended warranty major dilemma!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 08:34 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts
Default registered owner / extended warranty major dilemma!!

hey guys/gals,

i'm hoping that you will be able to help out - i am to transfer ownership of my car to a family member for personal reasons. i have a platinum extended warranty on the car and have recently been approved to have the carbon buildup engine rebuild done. i know that i can transfer the warranty to the family member that i am placing the car's name in, but will this screw up the CSP as the parts are back ordered here in california and i'm on a waiting list? in other words, will my family member have to get the whole process re-approved? it was painful process and i finally got it approved so i don't want to lose the approval.

can i keep the extended warranty under my name while the car is registered under a family member's name?

if i transfer the warranty along with the title, will that affect what is currently being processed now, e.g. the carbon buildup csp?

what do you guys think? i'll still be driver of the car and will still be in charge of maintenance.

I definitely need help on this one, so thanks in advance!

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-20-15 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-06-12, 09:00 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call whoever you bought it from and ask
Old 12-06-12, 09:02 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

thanks for the response!

i did do just what you suggested - i called the lexus dealer that i bought it from but they weren't able to give me any definitive answer, which i thought was odd, so i turned here.
Old 12-07-12, 05:29 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

why not have the family member drive and pay for the car while all this gets done. Then once the service is performed star the paperwork to transefert he car to their name.

BTW: I only sugested this as you said they are family.
Old 12-07-12, 06:46 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We just went through the transfer of a platinum warranty as well and it wasn't all that bad..

You should get in touch with the underwriting department of the warranty servicing company and ask them directly. Lexus doesn't service the warranty.. it's a 3rd party. In our case it was a company called "Golden Eagle Protection Inc.". They handle all front end contact and claims with customers.

Last edited by jsmacks; 12-07-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 07:15 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

-----------

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-20-15 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 11:49 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

well, I think if you have no choice because of time, there really isn't much you can do other than just do the transfer.

I don't think you can default on student loans. I mean you can, but the loan will always need to be paid. I guess leaving the country and never coming back is an option.
Old 12-07-12, 12:02 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to get a deferment or forbearance on your student loans! There should be one for economic hardship/unemployment. It usually stops your monthly payments for a while as long as you meet the requirements (interest will still accrue tho on a forbearance).
Old 12-07-12, 01:02 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

ok, yeah, I like your idea better than exile.
Old 12-07-12, 06:28 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

------------

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-20-15 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 07:20 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to transfer ownership of the car and keep the warranty work under yourself. As long as you bring the car in yourself. That way, your ID matches what is on their record...
Old 12-07-12, 11:10 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 98023IS250
You should be able to transfer ownership of the car and keep the warranty work under yourself. As long as you bring the car in yourself. That way, your ID matches what is on their record...
that's what i thought as well, but lexus corporate said that once ownership has been transferred that there cannot be a discrepancy between the registered owner and the purchaser/holder of the warranty, and that i have two options: 1. opting for a pro-rated refund or 2. transferring the warranty to the new registered owner within 90 days.

i hate lexus and i hate sallie mae.

thanks for your input, though. i appreciate it. it was exactly what i was thinking would be ideal and feasible as well.
Old 12-08-12, 12:45 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i would imagine that warranty-related work - especially something covering the carbon buildup engine rebuild work - would be associated by VIN vs. associated by owner's name.

btw, i sympathize with your situation, having had a rather large college and post-grad tuition loan hanging over my head. best of luck, and hope you find a resolution to your financial situation.
Old 12-08-12, 07:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by projectdna
i would imagine that warranty-related work - especially something covering the carbon buildup engine rebuild work - would be associated by VIN vs. associated by owner's name.

btw, i sympathize with your situation, having had a rather large college and post-grad tuition loan hanging over my head. best of luck, and hope you find a resolution to your financial situation.
thanks, i appreciate that; i, too, hope this all resolves soon.

i would think, also, that the work thus approved would follow the VIN, but i've been given so much (mis)information from the dealer and lexus corporate over the past few days that i'm not sure what to believe until the situation presents itself. i'll be sure to let everyone know if i run into problems, although should i, i'd hope that lexus corporate would quickly resolve them.
Old 12-08-12, 07:19 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not make any changes until the car is fixed. Like someone said, have the fam. member pay for and drive the car until everything is resolved. Again, i don't know the whole situation. Good luck. Don't mess with legal crap, its a pain, try to resolve it at a lower level.

Quick Reply: registered owner / extended warranty major dilemma!!