Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 07:27 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel

Before bashing me:
1. I know there is an ES forum but there is more of a chance i would get the information from someone here rather than there.
2. This is for an es350 but should be the same since I just checked my bros IS350.
3. Yes, i know there is another thread about dashboard removal but the OP last posted in February.

So over the last 3 days i have been slowly gutting my whole interior to sound deaden the hell out of it with dynamat and alphadamp.

Car interior is in 100000 pieces and a few pieces that have been a nightmare are the SRS front passenger airbag in the foot well connected to the dash (got it off but i need to know how to disconnect it safely without having it blow up in my face) and the steering wheel instrument panels (blinker switches on the left and headlight/window washer on the right). Also if someone happened to know how to get the SRS side airbags on the rear (not on the is350 premium at least) off i would greatly appreciate it.

Pics attached:

Parts taken off
Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel-ifhi8.jpg

Dashboard
Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel-sbljo.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by xanderES; 11-20-12 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 08:10 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplug the positive & negative terminals on your battery in order to not have the airbag blow up.
Sorry I can't help with anything else.
Old 11-20-12, 08:12 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

well, since you ask on an IS forum here is how you remove the steering wheel on the IS :p
Apparently, the washer/wiper switch goes with it...
Old 11-20-12, 08:34 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

ccj22 - I never think to disconnect the pos+neg of the battery! It was shocking that I forgot that when upgrading the + to + alternator wire from the big 3... literally

nosurprise - that is exactly what i needed! just checked my steering wheel and it has both those cutouts! So I am pretty sure all i need is a t-30 torx bit!

You guys are awesome!

All thats left is how to actually disconnect the wires from the srs passenger foot well airbag... Anyone?
Old 11-21-12, 08:07 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nice, thanks. I would have left off the paddle shifters

as a mod....

Originally Posted by nosurprise
well, since you ask on an IS forum here is how you remove the steering wheel on the IS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYuVgLUbDE&feature=plcp
Apparently, the washer/wiper switch goes with it...
Old 11-21-12, 08:34 AM
tziegler03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just un-hook the battery.
Old 11-21-12, 01:08 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Post pics of the sound deadening installation!
Old 11-21-12, 04:21 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

ill post pics of sound deadening when im done finally pulling the dash and roof liner out.

Started a bit late today and it was hard finding the right sockets and single pack of a T-30 torx wrench. Had to buy 1/4th in to 3/8th in conversion sockets and vice versa to fit the right wrench sockets.

That video of the steering wheel removal was great until the part where they cut past how they took the air bag connectors off. That one had me stumped for a while... until i realized the yellow part popped out of the back and it was a plug. Came out with a screwdriver real easy.

Last edited by xanderES; 11-21-12 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-21-12, 04:52 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Just got the steering wheel off and managed to get the window wiper pedel thing off.
Need to find a way to get the headlight paddle one off also.
Anyone? The video only shows how to take the steering wheel off unfortunately
Old 12-13-12, 12:46 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Finally got the time to post some pics of the install. Took me about a total of 50 hours or so all together. Most of it was trying to figure out the puzzle pieces of tearing out my interior then re-installation. I ended up almost ****ing up my turn signal assembly when I bent/pulled the backing off of it exposing the sliding parts . I dont remember how but i know it was fairly easy to remove after i removed the steering wheel.

Whole dash removed
Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel-ffdoi.jpg

Sound deadening the roof
Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel-1b6e3.jpg

Finished!
Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel-mr9uk.jpg

Reinstalling moon roof
Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel-cpbli.jpg

Putting the roof liner back on
Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel-8y3pb.jpg

While the interior was gutted i deadened the rear deck too
Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel-35aiv.jpg

The experience: don't try to remove the moon roof assembly out of the car solo... man was it heavy! I ended up hitting the side of the car which resulted in a 1/2in scrape .
The hardest part BY FAR was getting the side curtain airbags out. I wrecked my hand popping those retainers out. Used two hands and had to put all my weight into it. Ended up hitting my hand to the car with such force I thought I had given myself internal bleeding in my knuckle. It ended up not being but was really swollen for a couple days after .
The most frustrating was actually getting the roof liner out and back in the car. Even with the whole interior gutted we still had to bend it to get it out/back in. Ended up with 1 visible crease after installation on driver side moonroof corner .
Old 01-03-13, 06:18 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perfect video! I'll be swapping my wheel this weekend.
Old 04-27-13, 05:05 AM
Waasil
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot nosurprise if you have any video for removing the passenger side of GS 300 (1999-2005) would be great.
Old 03-19-15, 10:29 AM
David2gs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Waasil
Thanks a lot nosurprise if you have any video for removing the passenger side of GS 300 (1999-2005) would be great.
what he said... a diy would be great... anyone?
Old 03-19-15, 03:29 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Haha I thought someone might dig this up after the headliner rattle thread.

Unfortunately, there has only been a handful of people crazy enough to do something like this. If I were to of spend time taking pictures, editing them, and adding them it would probably add 2-3 days to what it took me to finish this on top of having 100+ or so pictures in the thread.

Although it seems like removing the dash is not required to dropping the headliner in the IS.
Folding the headliner too much to get it out will result in permanent creases in your head liner.

Essentially if you've done it once in one lexus it should be fairly easy to do in other models. Its really not that complicated.

Edit: Although we also own an 04 GS, I have no plans to be doing anything as intensive sound deadening wise to the car.

Last edited by xanderES; 03-19-15 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 09:17 PM
David2gs
Rookie

Originally Posted by xanderES
Haha I thought someone might dig this up after the headliner rattle thread.

Unfortunately, there has only been a handful of people crazy enough to do something like this. If I were to of spend time taking pictures, editing them, and adding them it would probably add 2-3 days to what it took me to finish this on top of having 100+ or so pictures in the thread.

Although it seems like removing the dash is not required to dropping the headliner in the IS.
Folding the headliner too much to get it out will result in permanent creases in your head liner.

Essentially if you've done it once in one lexus it should be fairly easy to do in other models. Its really not that complicated.

Edit: Although we also own an 04 GS, I have no plans to be doing anything as intensive sound deadening wise to the car.
YES!... The road noise in my 04 gs430 is a crime... its worse than ford lmao... does that aluminum tape really help in deadening sound?...

Also do you know if i can take out my headliner without removing the sunroof mechanism or the dash boards?

thanks

Quick Reply: Stuck on dashboard removal-srs airbag/steering wheel