Retrofitter questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 08:29 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofitter questions

Hey guys

Gonna take the big leap and retro fit my stock IS250 HIDS AFS on the IS. I have have already retrofitted the stock IS fogs with some Morimoto H1's and they are amazing next will be the headlights. I have seen countless threads on retrofitting on non HID headlamps BUT I have seen no one retro fit the stock HID AFS system on the Lexus have the same internal brackets as the ones that I see on the threads with non HID headlights???
Old 11-05-12, 09:17 AM
Stavros
Rookie

I changed the lenses on my IS250 HID AFS projectors and it made a big difference. I got the STI-R lenses from TRS. The only issue is that these projectors/shields create a yellow cut-off band and need lots of tweaking which I didn't have the patience. I also swapped the Philips D4S bulbs with Toshiba Harison D4S bulbs and the difference was big, the Toshiba bulbs are much whiter and brighter than the old Philips.

Are you thinking of swapping the whole projector with something like the FX-R 3.0 or just the lenses?
Old 11-05-12, 10:27 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock Philips are more yellow than the Toshiba ones which were changed later on. The Toshiba ones are whiter in comparison than stock Philips but not in comparison to the Ultinon.

If you want white and have best lumens output for it, then go with Philips Ultinon 6000K.
Old 11-05-12, 10:44 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stavros
I changed the lenses on my IS250 HID AFS projectors and it made a big difference. I got the STI-R lenses from TRS. The only issue is that these projectors/shields create a yellow cut-off band and need lots of tweaking which I didn't have the patience. I also swapped the Philips D4S bulbs with Toshiba Harison D4S bulbs and the difference was big, the Toshiba bulbs are much whiter and brighter than the old Philips.

Are you thinking of swapping the whole projector with something like the FX-R 3.0 or just the lenses?
I already changed the lenses to STI and I still dont find it good at all. They are horrible just like all the other post stated that have done it before it just makes the cutoff more present thats all. I have new bulbs as well. I just purchased FX's 3.0s I just wanted to make sure when I started to take everything apart it didnt become a mess in the unit with the AFS
Old 11-05-12, 12:19 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've retrofitted both my original 2007 headlights and my current 2012 LED headlights. From my experience I can tell you that keeping the AFS mechanism working with a retrofit is extremely difficult (auto leveling is pretty easy).
Old 11-05-12, 03:56 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe JVX completed his with the AFS working. It did seem like a big task to take (he has a huge writeup on it on his site), and honestly probably not worth the effort unless you're really good with retrofitting.
Old 11-07-12, 04:52 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

SORRY GUYS I was not specific I am going to be ditching the AFS and I drove the other night with them off and I was fine didnt realize there were off until I seen the light. MY question was IS the AFS bracket on the headlight the same as the NON HID system. KUMQUATISM and B16BA9 I know you have both went the retrofit source. I need you guys to help a brother out!!! What did you guys use for Brackets???? I am going to be putting in FX-R's in the headlights and it does not seem to hard I will start saturday morning and am trying to finish that night!!!! I know it might be stretching it out but My main concern is cutting the back of the headlight. I need some help with some sort of design I have seen the three retrofits done on the IS already two with cutting the back and one with that AMP bulb connector. I ordered D2S so I know I will have to butcher the back of the headlight I just want to make sure I have a tight seal. AIMING the headlight is it going to be a concern since I will be bolting it up to the bracket itself??? I just retrofitted MH! 5.0 into the fogs lights and it night and day with those things!!! The next thing I want is better distance thats what I am looking for the stock IS headlights are HORRIble!!!
Old 11-07-12, 05:05 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

I was just about to post the same Question. Guess it's a good thing I made sure I looked before posting to not overfill this forum with repeats. Hopefully you get your answer cause I too am considering a bi-xenon retro in my 06 is250. Been talking to the retrofit source about what all is required to do this successfully and I'm debating on if I'm up to the task. Good luck with your retro
Old 11-07-12, 06:09 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondadna4
SORRY GUYS I was not specific I am going to be ditching the AFS and I drove the other night with them off and I was fine didnt realize there were off until I seen the light. MY question was IS the AFS bracket on the headlight the same as the NON HID system. KUMQUATISM and B16BA9 I know you have both went the retrofit source. I need you guys to help a brother out!!! What did you guys use for Brackets???? I am going to be putting in FX-R's in the headlights and it does not seem to hard I will start saturday morning and am trying to finish that night!!!! I know it might be stretching it out but My main concern is cutting the back of the headlight. I need some help with some sort of design I have seen the three retrofits done on the IS already two with cutting the back and one with that AMP bulb connector. I ordered D2S so I know I will have to butcher the back of the headlight I just want to make sure I have a tight seal. AIMING the headlight is it going to be a concern since I will be bolting it up to the bracket itself??? I just retrofitted MH! 5.0 into the fogs lights and it night and day with those things!!! The next thing I want is better distance thats what I am looking for the stock IS headlights are HORRIble!!!
The HID bracket and the NONE HID bracket are different. The HID one is made out of cast aluminum while the none HID is made out some type of composite material. I personally used the factory bracket (you have too as it’s the only way to mount the projector) along with some stainless steel nuts/bolts and small galvanized L brackets (hint paint the L brackets with plastic dip to help prevent rust).
Old 11-07-12, 06:21 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Originally Posted by dci4life
I was just about to post the same Question. Guess it's a good thing I made sure I looked before posting to not overfill this forum with repeats. Hopefully you get your answer cause I too am considering a bi-xenon retro in my 06 is250. Been talking to the retrofit source about what all is required to do this successfully and I'm debating on if I'm up to the task. Good luck with your retro
ITS not hard its alll PLANNNING ahead theretrofitsouce.com IS BOSS!!! You see theses guys paying 100 dollars for "Vendor" BULBS that were tested on theretrofitsouce.com that failed over and over again. Its sad I try to make everyone realize the quality of products but they all seem to want 6000k super blue cool bulbs.
Old 11-07-12, 06:41 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hondadna4
ITS not hard its alll PLANNNING ahead theretrofitsouce.com IS BOSS!!! You see theses guys paying 100 dollars for "Vendor" BULBS that were tested on theretrofitsouce.com that failed over and over again. Its sad I try to make everyone realize the quality of products but they all seem to want 6000k super blue cool bulbs.
I think mainly it's i only have one vehicle and have a crappy work schedule. I'm just nervous I may start the project and have something go wrong and not have a source of transportation to work.
Old 11-07-12, 08:49 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Thats why you do one headlight at a time!!! just take one off tear it down and rebuild only one at a time. Then the next day do the same thing again tear it down and rebuild. Thats what retrofitters do when its there only video.
Old 11-07-12, 10:09 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have retrofitted FXRs in my headlights, and I'll tell you, you need custom made thick brackets because they are so heavy. If you use cheap thin brackets, your lights will jiggle everywhere you go, and may even damage certain things inside and eventually rip right off
Old 11-07-12, 10:44 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
I have retrofitted FXRs in my headlights, and I'll tell you, you need custom made thick brackets because they are so heavy. If you use cheap thin brackets, your lights will jiggle everywhere you go, and may even damage certain things inside and eventually rip right off
Thanks alot man what else is needed that you can suggest where to get the metal how man strips tips tricks bolts??? What was your setup before hand stock hids or halogens? did you cut the back up??? What did you seal itt with??? Sorry I ask so many questions im just trying to this as smoothly as possible
Old 11-07-12, 11:56 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes the rear of the headlights had to be cut, but be careful
The rear was sealed a rubber wrap which I don't remember the name
I had crap halogens, but I purchased brand new headlights for 450$, they were probably aftermarket ones, but I didn't mind because I only need the bezels and the new clear shells
I had my metal done by a buddy of mine and it took us two tries to get it right. First one was too thin and my lights were moving and jiggling everywhere

I would suggest retrofitting them with TSX projectors
The FXRs are bi xenons and it's much harder to get a super straight cut line like the TSX

Quick Reply: Retrofitter questions