IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Setting Automatic Door Locking System

Old 10-25-12, 01:08 PM
PapaCat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Automatic Door Locking System

Re: 2011 IS250C, Automatic
Page 45 in the Owner's Manual gives very detailed instructions on how to set or cancel the automatic door locking and unlocking system. (That's the good news.) I want to have my car's doors stay locked when I switch into Park rather than to immediately unlock both doors. The instructions in the manual don't work. (That's the bad news.) Does anyone know the correct procedure to do this? Maybe I'm not understanding them correctly. Here's what the manual says to do:
1 .Close both side doors and switch the "Engine Start Stop" switch to IGNITION ON mode.
2. Within 20 seconds shift the shift lever to P or N, press and hold the driver's door lock switch for about 5 seconds than release. [Here's where I get confused. If the car is not running, you can't change gears, so are they implying it has to be running? Incidentally, I tried it both ways - with the engine off, and with it on.]
The final sentence on page 45 says, "When the setting or canceling operation is complete, both side doors are locked and then unlocked."

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 10-25-12, 01:39 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

In regards to the question below have you tried with just the ignition on. Meaning press the start button but without your foot on the brake? I have never tried to do this so i'm no help there.

[Here's where I get confused. If the car is not running, you can't change gears, so are they implying it has to be running? Incidentally, I tried it both ways - with the engine off, and with it on.]
Old 10-25-12, 01:56 PM
PapaCat
Driver School Candidate

Hi JB:
Yes, I tried by just pressing the start button without having my foot on the brake. That was my first attempt. I tried it that way about 5 times, then started experimenting by actually starting the engine so I was able to shift gears out of, then back into, park. I suspect they might have revised the procedure but forgot to update their manual. I'm hoping someone in this forum might have run into the same problem and found a solution.
Thanks for your post.
Paul
Old 10-29-12, 10:37 AM
PapaCat
Driver School Candidate

I just want to let you guys know that I finally succeeded in changing the setting. It was my fault, but I'm not sure exactly what I was doing wrong. It might have been either of the following:
1. I started Step #2 within 20 seconds, but I might not have completed it within 20 seconds. (I might have held the door lock switch depressed too long - longer than the recommended 5 seconds.)
2. I did not change the shift lever's position in Step # 2. Since it was in Park when I started the process, and since that is the shift position I needed to be in, I merely left it in Park. In my successful attempt, I depressed the brake pedal and moved the lever through the gears, then brought it back to Park.
Thanks,
Paul