IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

fog light retro plans

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 06:03 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light retro plans

i bought an extra set of foglights and i have decided to do a retrofit. i have done one before but this time its a bit more involved as i am going to use the factory housing. i see people have used the bosch mini fogs which is 1.5" lens. i wanted something bigger possibly looking into a 2.5" so i can get a wider beam.
Any recommendations as to which ones to use i have heard people use the fx-r projectors but was seeing if there is anything better. i have philips hid kit in my halogen headlights and its not really cutting it for me.
i am also going to try to have the beam start from 80 -90 degrees from the front bumper as i need the extra width with my tint. so i can see whats around the corners.
Old 10-17-12, 06:14 PM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Just did my fogs this week end. I went with the MH1 from the retrofit source I love them sooo much and I can see so much better now. Go big if you do a Bosch mini its not going to give you the full potential. I went with JVX IS250 fog light retrofit guide. Search the internet and you will find it. I love them I went with 4300k and I cant be happier.
Old 10-17-12, 10:17 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

anyone have a pic of how much cutting they had to do to put the fx-r into the fogs? i really prefer these as they have more width than the mh1
@hondadna do you have a pic or how wide the light goes from behind your car?
Old 10-17-12, 10:50 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-USING-MINI-H1. That's a nice retrofit if you want more distant lighting. They are pretty wide IMO. If you want more width, angle the projectors outwards.

If you want FX-Rs, you need to check the measurements because the fog light housings have limited space.

I'm using Hella H3 projectors with 2" lens that are similar to the Bosch mini's. I added the yellow capsule for the yellow look because yellow bulbs and overlays aren't effective.

Here are some pics of my progress:

Old 10-18-12, 12:37 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Remember the guide is for the 2010 and earlier cars. The 2011+ ones, it's different and more difficult to do and limited projector options because it uses a H11 fogs and there isn't much free room to play with because if the housing.

Since I have 2011, it was done a shop and the clearance was very tight. They managed to get the Morimoto Matchbox into them.

Last edited by Sango; 10-18-12 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 01:24 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Man such a sweet mod. I gotta stop being lazy and get on this.
Old 10-18-12, 06:25 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

I cant get a good shot of the light out put with my Iphone4s. I can tell you the truth is see a **** ton better than with those crappy stock fogs as they dont do ANYTHING other than showing that you have fog lights. I would double check on the FX's with the dimension because the MH1 is a very tight squeeze I could only image with the FX as it is a full blown real headlight projector compared to the beginners MH1.
Old 10-18-12, 08:07 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...r6/photo-7.jpg
OLD shot with just the headlights on which is soooo horrible.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...r6/image-3.jpg
New shot with the fogs on it still dosent do it justice at all. The camera just plan sucks but I will tell you I no longer have to try hard to see at night. PLUS I have my whole windshield tinted 40%!!!
Old 10-19-12, 09:42 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

I need wider. i am always driving down dark roads with animals running out and sometimes people... But for those who have done a retro is it possible to angle the lens outward instead of straight forward?
I'm going to use an hid kit too... Not the Ebay style probably a d2s Phillips something like that so i can have the cleanest output.
Old 10-19-12, 10:22 AM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this mod too but haven't tackled it yet. This is one mod that I'm unsure of in terms of what to use. Which is why I'm hesitating on getting it done. Plus I think I'll need an extra set of fogs just in case...
Old 10-19-12, 11:13 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This is also a future mod for me.. I did my own retrofit using MH1 projectors from TRS on my 99 Accord, really easy because there was no cutting or dremeling involved. I just had to open up the headlights, then seal them up afterwards.

I'd love to see how you accomplish this with the fx-r projectors, if you go that route. Subbed
Old 10-19-12, 04:43 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

i would open up my headlights and start measuing insides but i havent narrowed down which projectors to go with. those fx-r would be ideal but they are WIDE... i would have to fabricate something to keep them steady in the back housing, i know since its behind the bumper it doesnt have to look pretty but im too picky to have the back end looking a mess.
so far the largest lens size is 2" in the fogs?
Old 10-19-12, 08:09 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can squeeze in a 2.5" lens. I just wanted a nice bezel around the projector so I opted for 2".

You can angle the projector because the reflector in the housing is off-centered and the front plastic lens on the fog lights is curved to the side:
reference from JVX

The FX-R will be a challenge. A lot of custom work to make it fit onto such a small reflector and to keep the factory aiming.
Old 10-20-12, 04:27 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

my biggest worry with the fxr is the side where the lens meets the back housing if i measured correctly it will be sticking out the sides of the plastic casing close to the mounting tabs. the stock adjuster i could use still but might have to relocate it to another part of the back housing of the assembly.
i wish i had somewhere local to get some projectors. i'm going to keep researching to find a wide beam full size projectors. hopefully by the end of next week i will have some ordered. trying to get this done before thanksgiving.
i was hoping to fit the ls430 in our housing! yea right
Old 10-20-12, 04:41 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Aren't FXR projector Bi-Xenon's? Cuz that's what I have retro'ed in my headlights right now.

Quick Reply: fog light retro plans