IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

fog light retro plans

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 03:37 PM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WELLLL I would buy them off of you if you had them!!! plus got to philips+ bulbs if you wanted them
Old 10-25-12, 05:11 PM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayac88
you had to say it.... you jinxed me! got the stuff in the mail but guess what, no projectors!!! had a miscommunication with TRS and now i got to order them next week so it wont be another two weeks until i start working on it. so maybe ill chnage my mind and find another projector who knows.
u should check out the morimoto matchbox projectors from trs. im gonna retro my fogs with those next month.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=18725
Old 10-26-12, 08:11 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 01ES300NYC
u should check out the morimoto matchbox projectors from trs. im gonna retro my fogs with those next month.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=18725
i did, it looked tiny. i want something with full output. this is going to be practice so i want a pretty hard retrofit. gives me an idea of what im working with.
Old 10-26-12, 08:54 PM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

ok i hear that... well good luck.... i was gonna do mini h1's but after a lil research the output on the matchbooks is pretty good. I've already done 4 retro's on 3 different cars with with mini h1's . should only take me about an hour and a half to do my fogs with the matchbooks... but it looks like im gonna have to wait till Jan or Feb to do mine.... subscibed for updates and progress....
Old 10-28-12, 09:25 AM
FlyRyde
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking for a set of used fogs to do the matchbox setup right now. I'll post pics
Old 10-31-12, 02:11 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01ES300NYC
ok i hear that... well good luck.... i was gonna do mini h1's but after a lil research the output on the matchbooks is pretty good. I've already done 4 retro's on 3 different cars with with mini h1's . should only take me about an hour and a half to do my fogs with the matchbooks... but it looks like im gonna have to wait till Jan or Feb to do mine.... subscibed for updates and progress....
Did you need a relay harness for the MH1's?
Old 10-31-12, 04:45 PM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

i didnt use one. i used a 35w pnp hid kit. only thing was i needed an h7 kit with h1 bulbs for the mini h1s.(on the 01 es)
Old 11-02-12, 08:44 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Default finally got some pics

i got some work done. nothing final i ended up not ended up not wanting to use the existing reflector. the screws are temporary until i figure a real way to mount it and still have adjustment.
i also evened out the cutoff so its flat i dont care about glaring oncoming traffic as the fogs are low on my car anyway.

Last edited by rayac88; 11-24-12 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-05-12, 06:15 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

I dont know why you didn't want to use the reflector. I have tweaked my fogs lights about a dozen time to the output I wanted to do. Now I am starting the FX's on the stock HID on the IS next. Adjustment is key because the more I drive the more I see where they should be pointed at. I keep tweaking and the MH1's just keep getting better and better and better.
Old 11-05-12, 10:47 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hondadna4
I dont know why you didn't want to use the reflector. I have tweaked my fogs lights about a dozen time to the output I wanted to do. Now I am starting the FX's on the stock HID on the IS next. Adjustment is key because the more I drive the more I see where they should be pointed at. I keep tweaking and the MH1's just keep getting better and better and better.
That's why i am trying to have it adjustable in four directions. I would have to cut the entire bulb holder on the reflector to fit it to use the adjustment ****
Old 11-06-12, 08:14 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

since the projector is so big i would essentially be only using enough of the reflector to mount it to the factory points. Also because its so big the projector is actually tilted inward towards the adjustment screw just so it can center with the shroud. Even though its the longer route prefer to custom mount it.

i plan on using the bixenon feature, would all i need to do is purchase a switch and run some wiring to the diode to run power to the diode so it can release the cutoff plate?
Old 11-07-12, 04:24 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Originally Posted by rayac88
since the projector is so big i would essentially be only using enough of the reflector to mount it to the factory points. Also because its so big the projector is actually tilted inward towards the adjustment screw just so it can center with the shroud. Even though its the longer route prefer to custom mount it.

i plan on using the bixenon feature, would all i need to do is purchase a switch and run some wiring to the diode to run power to the diode so it can release the cutoff plate?
I have not wired the highbeams yet.... BUT I heard you take the two wires and tap into them up to our highbeams . Then when the DRL is on the fogs would be engaged on highbeam tho all the time. SO I need an answer too because I want to use the highs too on the fogs. I was going to disable the DRLS and run them normaly
Old 11-07-12, 11:45 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

I have not wired the highbeams yet.... BUT I heard you take the two wires and tap into them up to our highbeams . Then when the DRL is on the fogs would be engaged on highbeam tho all the time. SO I need an answer too because I want to use the highs too on the fogs. I was going to disable the DRLS and run them normaly
That wouldn't work cuz the fogs turn off when the high beams come on so it would activate the solenoid but the light would be off so its pointless. I think you have to run a separate switch i just don't know if it has to just receive power to activate or if it has to be reverse polarity.
Old 11-11-12, 08:18 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

i'm not not finished yet but i had to see how it would look. so i snapped a few pics. i have to line it up more, apparently our bumper makes the fogs lean back a little and i didnt account for that in the adjustment.

found a factory ground on both sides to run the relay. it wouldn't work just plug n play.
Old 11-23-12, 09:13 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

got over my flu started working again im almost finished.... i hope. one issue though is i lost the adjustment clip that connects the reflector to the housing. anyone have an idea of how to get a replacement to something inside the fogs? i wouldnt even know what to call it to, i tried breifly searching the web no luck.

i fabricated a bracket and attached it to the back of the projectors and put the adjustment clip through it. it gave me a bit of adjustment and hold the projectors tight in the housing. just need that damn clip and i will put them on the car and get them lined up.

Quick Reply: fog light retro plans