IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Removing rear window tint = Defroster & GPS malfunction?

Old 10-09-12, 11:22 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing rear window tint = Defroster & GPS malfunction?

So I brought my car to the tint shop today to have some 20% rears & 35% front tints put on. But I had no idea my windows were already tinted 70% all around (so light I didn't notice) until the owner pointed it out. The problem right now is that he said if he removes the tint on the rear window, that there is a 50/50 chance that the defroster lines along with the GPS lines on the rear window may come out or if they put it back on that they won't guarantee 100% that my GPS will work. I'm sure there have been numorous people who had to remove the rear tint without messing up the defroster & GPS lines, or am I really ***** outta luck here?
Old 10-09-12, 11:28 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

never heard of this before however it does make sense. I would also call your Lexus dealer to confirm it. They would have a legit answer for sure
Old 10-09-12, 11:39 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

My buddy called them while I was discussing this with the shop owner, & the lady that answered said that the defroster lines are inside the glass, but the shop owner was telling me that they actually messed up on a 2IS a few days ago, where the defroster lines came off & they had to order a $300 replacement window for the customer & so they changed there policy that they won't be held responsible in the event that it does happen again. I also then took it to a different tint shop to get a second opinion & they pretty much said the same thing.... never knew getting some tints can be this hard!

Last edited by ImportISF; 10-09-12 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 12:25 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

well ur best bet then is to have Lexus do your tint, at least you will have a piece of mind and I'm sure they will cover it if anything goes wrong
Old 10-10-12, 12:42 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy415
never knew getting some tints can be this hard!
Put 50% tint on top of the 70%; problem solved!
Old 10-10-12, 01:22 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
well ur best bet then is to have Lexus do your tint, at least you will have a piece of mind and I'm sure they will cover it if anything goes wrong
I'm not sure if the dealers around here do tint since it is illegal to have your front windows tinted here in CA. But I'll try to speak to a SA tomorrow to ask a second time about the defroster being in the glass or outside of it.

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Put 50% tint on top of the 70%; problem solved!
Thanks but I also forgot to mention that the current 70% tints are bubbling/peeling right now near the bottom of the window so I can't put new tints over it because the bubbling will only get worse.

If any of you guys know a way, feel free to share your ideas. I'd hate to be stuck with these 70% tints that don't even block any sunlight out forever
Old 10-10-12, 01:53 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would say heat gun and VERY careful slow removal..
Old 10-10-12, 02:24 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When removing rear tints with defroster lines, its best to have the defroster on for a bit so it would help melt the glue that is on it. So when you start peeling it, the glue isn't adhering to the lines as much.
Old 10-10-12, 05:05 AM
genaos11
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heat gun will b best bet ... Probably it going pain tho .. if u go rlly good tint shop they should do without problem mine already been done and my defroster still wrk Normally dealer hve a third party company do the tint for the cars on customer request when purchase ( wrk subaru dealer see all the time mobile tint company working on new/use car normally they go through tint company warrenty not the dealer warrenty some reason dealer act cheap to cover problem they find someway not to pay make customer pay or sumone else ..when they making so much money)
Old 10-10-12, 05:20 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My back window was tinted on the 07 IS350 when I got it from a friend, it was about 70% tinted all around which didnt work for me. My tint on all my cars is 15% except the SC430 and with the 07IS350 some of the defroster lines do not go all the way across which the tint guy told me AFTER he had completed the removal and installation of the new darker tint. My GPS works perfectly fine!
Old 10-10-12, 06:00 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

I tint cars this is all lies!!!

First and for most they do not want to put in the work to get the tint off the back of the windshield the right way!!! You need them to invest some time in your car and they seem like they are just avoiding spending to much time on it. The need to use the Windex method to remove it.
Old 10-10-12, 06:06 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

First step they need to get the windshield hot with a heat gun.

Then they need to grab some windex and spray the **** out of the windshield.

Then they need to grab black trash bags and tape off the whole windshield will keeping the window wet with Windex.

The need to park the car out in the sun for a couple of hours and keep on spraying the back of the windshield with Windex to make the Ammonia work its magic.

The shop needs to sweat out the glue with the ammonia. Over time the tint will just fall right out of the back windshield like if it was never stuck.

They do not want to put in the work for a quality job and they want to rush you as quick as they can.
Old 10-10-12, 06:09 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

They can lay down more tint on top of the old tint as long as its very clean and no rips.

This fustrates me seeing people getting lied to over and over again
Old 10-10-12, 08:11 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats crappy id go somewhere else.
Old 10-10-12, 09:41 PM
drewster12
Rookie

Not sure where you are located at, but Steve's Tinting in Upland, CA does an awesome job. I've seen him remove tint from the rear windshield all the time. He uses a steamer and then slowly peels the tint off. He also has great ceremic tint for the car. Check him out at www.stevestinting.com.

BTW, I'm in no way affliated with him or his business. I've used him on 3 of my cars and have recommended him to numerous friends because he is that good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing rear window tint = Defroster & GPS malfunction?