IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remote Start 2006 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-12, 06:31 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Remote Start 2006 IS350

Today, I successfully installed a Viper Remote start in my IS350. I know there will be tons of people come on and say, idatalink this, should have done that, yada yada yada. Bottom line...this works. If I would had not already had the PKALL, I would have gone with Idatalink. Basically they both do the same thing...fool the car for having a key.

Viper Responder One 4203V
PKALL immobilizer

What I was looking for in a remote start...
1. Simple to use
2. Easy install
3. SMALL remote
4. Start the car...that's IT!
5. smart start compatible...for future...maybe, just don't want the service contract.

Scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest, this was about a 3 for install.

70% of the work is in the prep.
1. Having a good layout of the wires needed. Wirecolor.com
2. PRE planning and PRE wiring the devices together
3. Branching off bundles of where the wires go in the car.

There are only 4 areas where the wires go...
1. Drivers fuse box. easy to get to
2. Brake Pedal. VERY easy to get to
3. Push to start button, easy, but tight to tap into wires.
4. Passenger Fuse Box VERY easy to get to

Panels to remove...
Drivers side
lower panel, two phillips screws
Knee airbag...let it hang, DON'T unplug it. Unbolt 10mm
Next panel up, pull it! Disconnect all plugs

Passenger
Lower panel pull it off, no screws
Knee airbag...again unbolt 10mm bolts and let it hang, DON'T disconnect
Glove box, remove Phillips screws

Radio
Remove...makes it easier to access the push to start button.
Total number of wires to tap...7 plus 12V and Ground

So far so good, car starts every time. You have to use the VIPER remote to start the car. Once the car is started, you cannot use the OEM key FOB to unlock the doors while the car is running. You have to use the viper remote to click and it will unlock the doors. Get in car with OEM FOB in pocket, press brake, put in gear...drive.

Total setup...less than $180.00
Had 2 local shops wanted $700.00+ installed.
Total time
Prep work, 1.5 hours. Do this a day or so earlier
Removal of drivers, passenger panels and radio 30 Min.
Installation of the entire alarm, 3.0 hours
Programming/testing time, 45 Minutes
Replace drivers, passenger panels and radio 30 Min.
Cleanup 45 min

Good luck to anyone attempting this, it's not hard, knowledge of these systems and cars help.
Old 10-06-12, 06:38 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos to you sir
Old 10-06-12, 06:38 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great writeup. PM'ing you for some additional info.
Old 10-06-12, 09:16 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write up....cheap too!
Old 10-06-12, 10:41 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

very cheap! great write up
Old 10-07-12, 01:58 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
PKALL immobilizer
I got the same module for a while now and had problem with the push button (recently found I can get it out after removing the stereo). Do you remember where you find these wires and color?

Unlock (do you need to take apart the door?)
Lock
Ignition 1 (is this different from ignition 2?)
Brake light wire

I called a few shops that wanted $800 to install and I have to buy parts from them at MSRP $800 for total of $1600 ... I was like :|
Old 10-07-12, 05:09 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Nice! I just got mine installed since I like the DEI warranty I have to have it installed by a certified installer. It is costing me 1,000 to get everything plus install. That is for the PKALL as well since DBALL won't work on my 08. They even charged me extra because it is an 08 they said the install is a lot harder and requires more time.

Kudos to you for being able to do it yourself!!!

(I am also color blind so wiring is not a good thing for me to touch)
Old 10-07-12, 06:22 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

The unlock wire is in the passenger side fuse box it's a BROWN wire. If you are using a 12v probe tester, as soon as you touch it, it will UNLOCK the doors. NO need to get into the door.

Ignition 1 is a blue wire in the drivers side fuse box. It's a heavy gauge blue wire In a 22 pin plug It's pin 10. When testing it with a probe, it will light up when you push the start stop button in the car.

Brake light wire is in a 4 pin plug right above your brake pedal. It's a RED/BLACK wire. Your probe will light up when you press the brake pedal.

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I got the same module for a while now and had problem with the push button (recently found I can get it out after removing the stereo). Do you remember where you find these wires and color?

Unlock (do you need to take apart the door?)
Lock
Ignition 1 (is this different from ignition 2?)
Brake light wire

I called a few shops that wanted $800 to install and I have to buy parts from them at MSRP $800 for total of $1600 ... I was like :|
Old 10-07-12, 08:10 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Thank you very much for the info! I have everything I need to start now :-) I'll start next week; I can take pics if anyone wants them.

Originally Posted by LaVaism
They even charged me extra because it is an 08 they said the install is a lot harder and requires more time.
They're just being dishonest here. I had already install the alarm not the remote start, but the fact is, it's fairly straight forward, but the main issue is locating the wires -- if you got helpful people like in this forum, then you're good to go.
Old 10-07-12, 10:41 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

How do you unlock your doors with this, it's a 1 button remote? And also, how do you open your trunk while the engine is running during a remote start? I would recommend using full remote start setup.
Old 10-08-12, 01:34 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

do you need to leave one of your keys in the immobilizer? When I asked my local shop about remote start they said I need to do that but since these keys are like $350 between the FOB, Key, Cutting, and programing...I just never thought about it again.
Old 10-08-12, 02:42 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISBU
How do you unlock your doors with this, it's a 1 button remote? And also, how do you open your trunk while the engine is running during a remote start? I would recommend using full remote start setup.
Once the car is running, one click of the Viper 1 button remote unlocks the car. The OEM FOB will not unlock it.

If the OEM FOB is in your pocket, push the button at the trunk lid and voila....it opens.
Old 10-08-12, 02:44 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robertrios
do you need to leave one of your keys in the immobilizer? When I asked my local shop about remote start they said I need to do that but since these keys are like $350 between the FOB, Key, Cutting, and programing...I just never thought about it again.
No, you leave NO key in the car. The PKALL programs itself like a key. If someone enters the car without the OEM key fob and touches the brake to steal the car, it shut the engine off.
Old 10-17-12, 08:21 PM
nosurprise
Racer

OK, so I open the passenger side with some help of pictures in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-to-circ.html

I wasn't able to get the driver side open because the bolt on the nut is so tight that my 10mm wrench socket stripped (weak), so I'm getting a new one for tomorrow -- whoever put it together last time must have tighten it too much (I also found a clip just lying around the panel ... let me know if anyone knows where that comes from).

On the passenger side fuse box, there are 2 brown wires, one large that's attached to a bigger plug on top and one small in a smaller plug; do you remember which one it is? I test both with a multimeter, but have problem reaching in (I'm going to take the glove box off tomorrow). Also, is the picture correct for the brake wire?
Attached Thumbnails Remote Start 2006 IS350-imgp2655_point.jpg   Remote Start 2006 IS350-imgp2657.jpg   Remote Start 2006 IS350-imgp2659.jpg  
Old 10-19-12, 08:44 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

i was wondering if there was an option to have remote start on the oem keyfob. i dont like 2 fobs hanging around. when i first got my car i was told you have to have two fobs in order for it to work and now im told i can have it on just one. according to a dealer, Rallye Lexus. and it starts anyway at 700 bucks....

Quick Reply: Remote Start 2006 IS350