IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 03:40 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rock chips

I've been trying to use the search bar but it's not coming up what I'm looking for, so please bare with me haha. I need to reword it or something but here it goes.

2-3 days ago, I was driving on the highway and there was this truck that was droppping rocks, I was trying to slow down but there was car behind me and on the side of me, so there for I tried to drive slowly so that the truck could be far from me. There was like 3-4 straches on my glasses. it's not too big or noticeable unless you come close and look around, should I be worried about this?

Also I have like 5-7 rock chips from it, =[ I was wondering what paint should I use to touch it up, I have a SFP. Also you think the touch up paint should work fixing the problem??

Sorry the circles are in black and red, LOL forgot to change the black to red, but what would you guys do in this situation??
Old 10-04-12, 03:55 PM
itzhieu
Driver

i have a bunch of those! i used to touch it up but i keep getting them so i grew to live with it. thats what i get for not getting clear bra!

you can either touch it up with ur your touch up paint, sewell sells it. or you can get a clear bra if its not too late
Old 10-04-12, 04:33 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by itzhieu
i have a bunch of those! i used to touch it up but i keep getting them so i grew to live with it. thats what i get for not getting clear bra!

you can either touch it up with ur your touch up paint, sewell sells it. or you can get a clear bra if its not too late
Does the touch paint works really well? Would they show me how to apply it as well??
Old 10-04-12, 04:36 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

dr color chip, then clear bra!
Old 10-04-12, 04:46 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

lol does dr color chip works really well with SFP? 077
Old 10-05-12, 02:09 PM
Lexus408
Pole Position

Originally Posted by itzhieu

I have the same issue with my IS F-Sport. I should have paid to get the clear bra when I purchased it but I didn't even think about it. Does the touch up paint that sewell mix in well?
Old 10-05-12, 08:39 PM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

OEM touch up paint doesn't work that well, or at least for me it doesn't
Old 10-06-12, 03:05 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Dr Color Chip....the stuff is Amazing!!
Old 10-06-12, 06:00 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

not sure about that color specifically but dr colorships worked great for me on my SGM.
Old 10-06-12, 07:44 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TUNG
worked well for my car and i have sfp (much better than the oem touch-up paint, imo). dr color chip then clear bra ftw.
Old 10-06-12, 08:24 AM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

I wanna try Dr.Chip but that stuff is so expensive for a little bottle lol but I guess you pay for what you get since everyone says its AMAZING !
Old 10-06-12, 10:09 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TUNG
For small chips it'll do the job, I covered up a dent (dent, not chip) the size of my thumbnail and I can only see it if I look straight at it. Obviously it won't be a 100% match. I guess it comes down to how **** you are about it.
$6 bottle of touch up paint, or $500 paint job. I'll live with the former.
Old 10-06-12, 10:40 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

DR COLOR CHIP DOES NOT MATCH WELL WITH STARFIRE PEARL!!!!!

While it is a wonderful product, it does not match. They even tell you when you buy it that it will not match because of the pearl. It "hides" the chip somewhat but it is kind of a flat off-white. I used it anyway, and the concept is great. Probably works well with other colors. I haven't tried the dealer's touch up paint for SFP yet but just though everyone should be aware.
Old 10-06-12, 10:55 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ agree.. dr color chip is a hands down for me.. i'll stick with the oem touch up paint pin.
Old 10-06-12, 12:58 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kyoso23
DR COLOR CHIP DOES NOT MATCH WELL WITH STARFIRE PEARL!!!!!

While it is a wonderful product, it does not match. They even tell you when you buy it that it will not match because of the pearl. It "hides" the chip somewhat but it is kind of a flat off-white. I used it anyway, and the concept is great. Probably works well with other colors. I haven't tried the dealer's touch up paint for SFP yet but just though everyone should be aware.
i have sfp and dr. color chip worked wonders for my car. i mean, i guess if you are trying to fill large areas where paint has chipped/flaked off, the difference will be more pronounced, but for the average small chips here and there, i found the product to work better than the oem touch-up paint.

if you have large areas to fill or hundreds of chips covering your bumper/hood/front fenders, then respray, as you won't get satisfactory results from dr. color chip or the oem touch-up paint.

Quick Reply: rock chips