IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My time with my 2008 Lexus IS 350: 1/2009-11/2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 11:56 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My time with my 2008 Lexus IS 350: 1/2009-11/2012

I purchased my 2008 Lexus IS 350 (Vin# JTHBE262785021696 ) brand new in January 2009 from Darcars Lexus of Silver Spring. It was at 63k+ miles when I traded it for a 2013 Acura RDX AWD Tech.

This pic is from Spring of 2010 post detail (write-up on that detail is here). In the 2nd post of this thread I'll put all the final pics I took of this car after its last detail, before I traded it in.

I had originally created this thread because I wanted to try and do a private sale but then I decided to go for a trade-in instead. Since I already started the thread and put in a lot of info, I decided to just ask the mods to move it here from the classifieds to not let the effort go to waste. I thought it'd be cool to share my car's history w/ everyone, especially the new owner of it if he/she comes in here (hence the vin# I included).

Background
I bought my first IS in '03 but it got totaled in '04 when I got rear ended into another car. I couldn't get a deal on another IS at the time so settled for an Accord. But I remained an IS fan. In '05 I went to the NY Auto Show to see the premiere of the (at the time) new body style IS. And finally a few years later, I was able to own an IS again.

Why did I part with it?
Our other car was an '07 Accord coupe and it was getting real annoying having two small cars. I kept having to switch cars with my dad for his CR-V. We wanted to have one car which was a compact SUV.

I decided to part w/ my IS instead of our accord coupe for a few reasons. But the biggest one was that I really stopped enjoying driving my car. I kept getting bent rims and having the gunmetal color, it wasn't easy finding replacement ones. Apparently the ebay ones I was getting weren't OEM ones. Also in 2011 I put on Hankook V12 Tires and the front tires had a pull. The rear tires had their own issues because they weren't perfectly round and all my energy went into the switching out of them from the manufacturer. By the time that was settled, I learned that the front tires were bad too and were causing the pull, not the alignment

This was right around the time that I put my F-sport sway bars in too so I never got to fully enjoy them. So ultimately, the best time I had with my car was from Jan '09-early 2011.

When the right time was to pull the trigger
Late summer/Fall 2012 became the golden time to sell the car because my car was broken into and there was some damage done. But insurance covered everything and I had the dealer carry out the repair. They fixed and detailed the body and interior to such a degree that it' was as new a car as you could get at 63k miles. If I held on too long after this detail, I'm sure there would have been a scratch here or a small ding there.

The Vehicle Originally
This 2008 IS 350 is in the Smoky Granite Mica (Dark Gray) color. It has the Sports Package. I went out of my way to get this color and build. The light silver, luxury package model was available a lot more and I’m sure I could have negotiated a much lower price for that. But I felt the color was too common and I felt the IS would be a better experience w/ the sports package (lowered further, carbon fiber trim, etc).

• It has an OEM rear spoiler that came with the car. At first I didn’t even consider that something I wanted on the car but it was already on the it so I just took it. I’m glad I did though, it definitely adds something to the car

• At the time of purchase, I had XM/Sirius OEM installed. I paid extra for this

The pricing breakdown at the time of purchase:

MSRP $44,650
My price: $36,255 which included the $825 Freight charge
XM: $595
Dealer Processing: $100
= Subtotal: $36,950

Tire Recycling Fee: $4
License Fee: $128
Title Tax: $2217 + Registration $20 + (Plate?) Fees $50 + Security Interest $20 + Temporary Tags $15 = $2322
= Total Cash Delivered Price of $39,404

$5k were put as a down payment and the remaining $34,404 was financed through Lexus Financial Services (T.M.M.C)

[B]Post Purchase[/B]

• The only performance mod I did was install the F-Sport front and rear sway-bars. I had IAG Performance install them since I was unable to do install myself. As I mentioned earlier, these were put in early 2011. I really wanted to pull these out before I did the trade-in but with the failed self-install and all, I just said forget it. I still have the OEM sway bars still sitting at home, it's on my to-do list to sell.

• In the inside, I hacked the Navi with the part 1 (to use audio equipment while in motion) and part 2 (to be able to have the destinations and map used while in motion). There is a switch install that occurs for this. It's a pretty common hack by Lexus IS owners

• I had also installed a SL2Vi from VAIS to be able to listen to music off an iDevice (iPod/iphone/ipad through) the system was able to watch movies off the iDevice on the Navi screen. But did pull this off out right before the trade-in. This too is on my to-do list to sell.
(Its iDevice connector is a little loose when it connects to device so it has to be held with caution. I'm wondering if VAIS Technology will still fix it. This was how the VAIS people sent it and when I called to complain, they said I could send it back and they would replace it but I didn't want to take apart the navi dash again.)

• I couldn't get the Oil Filter Wrench off during my last oil change so it' still on the Oil Filter cap. Which is good for you, you can do oil changes on your own easier.

Issues:
In my sale, I had wanted to be 100% honest about the car. Here are the shortcomings that I had listed out that I knew of.

▪ Damaged Top A/C vent blade has to manually be opened or closed- This was a casualty of the first time I went back there to do the Navi Hack/SL2vi install. Hasn't' been a big deal since I'm not opening and closing the vents very often. Just leave it open and it won't bother you

Pull to the left - It gets noticeable on the highways. The culprit here I'm almost positive is the Hankook tires I had mounted on in early 2011. When I put my winter tires on this past winter, there was no pull. I've had alignments done since then and the pull hasn't been corrected, so again, almost positive it's the tires. I would argue w/ Hankook but I got argued out when I made them replace the defective rear tires which weren't round enough. You can either ride out the tires (since summer/performance tires don't last long) or, since a lot of good things have been said about Hankook, just replace them and keep these two as backup.

▪ One of the front rims is a non-OEM rim. After I got a bent rim, I ordered a replacement off ebay but I didn't know I was buying non-OEM parts and learned this after the purchase. Same thing happened with my next bent rim. So there are two other rims which I still have, one of which is the OEM original one. But I've been told that the OEM has a twist and can't be repaired. Since these are gunmetal, I can't hand these off to my dad for use w/ his '06 IS 350

▪ I've been told there currently is a bent front rim, and I think it's the non-OEM rim. I was in the hunt for getting a pair of front OEM rims in the ClubLexus classifieds but wasn't successful. And then in the past few months decided to forget it because I knew I was going to part with the car soon

▪ When I tried to do the F-Sport Sway Bar install on my own but failed, I was told the rear sway bar links had leaked some of the lubrication through the rubber. It's not supposed to be that big of a deal and here's a thread that discusses and details how to fix.

Front Seat may be a little weak - I had an issue with the car when windows came down once during rain. I complained to Lexus that it was their fault because they should have disabled the controls for windows coming down from the FOB. Ultimately Lexus Corporate gave me $350 credit to use for Service.

Right rear tire leaking air

Spark plugs and Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter maintenance items need to be done (See Maintenance section below)

I lived in Laurel, MD and then next door in Burtonsville, MD, which is in between Baltimore and DC. It is also just a few miles north up Lexus of Silver Spring. The car spent most of its time around here and then commuting to my work in Suitland up until mid-2011 before I started working in DC.

Partially garage kept
In DC it was garage kept, in suitland it was partially garage kept, at home it started being garage kept occasionally from December of 2011.

Financial Details at the time of trade-in

Tischer Acura of Laurel was giving me the most for my car. Carmax was willing to give me $17k. Lexus of Silver Spring (when I was considering the 2013 RX) was willing to give $16.5k at first but may have gone up to $18k. I was shocked when Tischer Acura offered the $19k and then easily went to $19.5k when I asked for more.

The car had a little over a year left of payments at the time of trade-in. The exact payoff amount was $8056 for it to be fully paid off. It was financed through Lexus Financial/Toyota Motors C.C. (TMCC).
I'll get more details on the procedure.

Last edited by Shahryar; 12-15-12 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 11:57 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

This space reserved for more pictures to be shared
Old 09-18-12, 11:58 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Vehicle maintenance/incident history

Note: I'll keep updating this as I find more service records. I've been trying to keep all the info in a spreadsheet and keep scanned versions of all the documents.

I've followed KnightShade's (Kurtz here on clublexus) maintenance breakdown which IS owners usually agree is what to follow:

Every 5k-
Oil change**see below notes on oil changes

Every 15k-
Check air and cabin filters (do yourself, takes 5 minutes)

Every 30k-
Change air and cabin filters (do this yourself, takes 5 minutes)
Change brake fluid

Every 60k-
Change spark plugs

Every 100k-
Change coolant

That is IT.

Anything else is BS your dealer is trying to push on you that the people who built the car don't think you need.

Don't EVERY ask for the "X miles" service since as you found out they'll double the price (or more) and not do anything additional.

My local dealer gets $50 for an oil change, non-synthetic. Speaking of oil changes though-

The manual says every 5k.

Using synthetic is a total waste of money if you're actually doing it this often (which is WAY more often than you really need to do it unless you only ever take short trips where the car never warms up or you spend a ton of time idling it).

UOA on a lot of 2ISes show that even conventional oil is perfectly fine for 10k miles under non-severe-duty driving... and any synthetic ought be good for 1/yr changes up to 15-20k miles.

(if you ARE only taking short trips and/or idling a lot then my recommendation is change the oil every 3 months, regardless of mileage, with the cheapest oil you can find)
• 1/2009 - Car Purchase

• 1k-ish miles - 1k complimentary service from Lexus Dealer

• 5k-ish miles - 5k complimentary service from Lexus Dealer: oil change, etc

• 8/2009: 11,153 miles - Oil change, top off fluids (carried out by dealer, Mobil 1 sythetic oil provided. Not enough, dealer filled in the rest)

• 8/2009: 11,153 miles - Alignment needed and carried out (under warranty since under 12k mi)

• 12/2009 - Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 Winter tires purchased from and put on by Radial Tire in Silver Spring

• 3/2010 - OEM Summer/Performance Tires put back on by Radial Tire

• 3/6/2010: 21,173 mi - Oil Change, top off fluids (carried out by dealer, Mobil 5w-30 provided by self, purchased from Walmart)

• 5/2010:25,422 mi - Blitz Engine Air Filter put in (ordered 5/2010)

• 6/2010:25961 mi - Blitz Cabin Air Filter put in

• 10/6/2010: 32,900 mi - Oil change, top off fluids, (Mobil 5w-30 purchased from walmart)

• 10/6/2010: 32,900 mi - Warranty service:9LG SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN (INSPECTED AND MODIFIED THE FLOOR SURFACE AND ACCELERATOR PEDAL,REPROGRAMMED THE ECU) (Carried out by dealer)

• 10/28/2010 - Used Oil Analysis by Blackstone completed on the oil that was in from 3/2010 to

• 10/2010. Discussed here.

• 1/2011: Winter tires put back on by Radial Tire; OEM performance tires disposed of

• 1/2011:37k-ish miles - F-Sport Front and Rear Sway Bars installed by IAG Performance (discovered issue with rear end link grease leaking) (bars purchased 1/2011 from Clublexus)

• 4/2011 or 5/2011:42k-ish miles-Brake fluid changed. Did on own, used OEM Toyota brake fluid from clublexus

• 5/2011: 42k-ish to 43k-ish miles- New Hankook V12 performance tires mounted by Radial Tire (purchased 4/2011 from Gripston)

• 5/2011 - Few weeks later car taken back to Radial Tire because of issues I was having at higher speeds with vibrations. Radial Tire said tire not mounted right, fixed it and gave it back

• 6/2011 - Took yet another time to Radial Tire because of still issues with drive. Informed one of rear tires "Not as round as it should be."

• 7/2011 and 8/2011: Informed by Gripston president that there is nothing he can do since it's been 30+ days. He said find a repair shop with gsp9700 machine on www.gsp9700.com. Found Ye Olde Wheel Shop in Elkridge and diagnosed that both rear tires were bad

• 8/2011 - Sears Auto Center in Columbia, MD replaced both rear Hankook tires under warranty;

• 8/20111 - Sometime in the past few months after the Hankook install I was dealing with a pull issue (see Issues section in earlier post). Was told the culprit could be bent rim so bought replacement rim off ebay (would learn later this was non-OEM, see Issues section above). So while having rear hankook tires replaced, also replaced front bent rim AND swapped out the front tires to opposite sides. Ultimately, still a pull

• 10/2011 - Alignment done, XM checked, Brakes and Battery Checked from Lexus of Silver Spring

• 11/2011 - Oil and Filter Change (Oil purchased from walmart)

• 10/2011 to 1/2012 - Right mirror damaged in hit and run. OEM parts from ClubLexus were ordered, Dealer carried out repair.

I still have some unused and leftover parts from that mirror repair. I've had a listing on the members classified for clublexus for this but haven't got any bites yet.

• 1/2012 - Battery Test done by Lexus of Silver Spring. Everything fine.

• 1/2012- New Windshield wipers put in

• 2/2012 - Hit pot hole in NJ with the Blizzak LM-60 winter tires on. Lost the tire. Had wheel repair carried out on one of the rims which had best chance of getting straightened (Sadly not the OEM one - that twist couldn't be fixed) and then had Lexus Dealer put the summer tires back on (luckily a mild winter) with the straightened wheel put on.

(This would be the last time these winter tires were used with this car. I gave the remaining 3 Blizzak winter tires (two rear, one front) to my dad to use with his recently purchased '06 IS 350 for the winter. These should have a lot of life left. He just bought a pair of slightly-used replacement front blizzak tires off ebay. He will use the front he already has as backup.)

• 6/1/2012 - Seat Inspection, Brake Inspection, and TPMS Inspection done by Lexus of Silver Spring. Seat Inspection I mentioned earlier. In The TPMS Inspection, it was because I was getting warnings of low tire. Lexus said that one of my TPMS sensors went bad but they were wrong, I was getting the warnings because of the leaky rear tire (mentioned earlier in issues)

• 7/2012: Brake Pads replaced all around, Rear rotors replaced, Front Rotors machined (3/2012: brakes ordered). Repair carried out by Cho's in Gaithersburg, a recommendation on clublexus. Dealer originally said Front rotors needed to be replaced so I ordered them but never ended up using them (the front rotors were machined).

So just ended up handing off those two new Centric front rotors to my dad for him to hold onto w/ his IS.

• 8/2012- Oil Change carried out; oil purchased from Advance Auto Parts. This was the last oil change that was carried out in this car under my ownership. As mentioned earlier, I couldn't get the Oil Filter Wrench off so it's on the car for you to use

• 9/2012-10/2012: IS broken into at Greenbelt Metro. Damage from break-in done to Driver's window, Driver's door, Driver's mirror, Interior Right panel. But Insurance also authorizing work to hood, bumper, lower front spoiler. As a result, full detail all around and inside , and fresh paint/clearcoat to certain areas. Inside had panel replaced.

• 10/2012-11/2012- Blitz Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter removed, washed, set out in sun, and put back in.

• 11/28/2012- Blitz Air Filter and Blitz cabin air filter pulled out of car before being traded in. Put in the non-blitz filters from parents' '06 IS 350.

• 11/28/2012- SL2vi taken out before traded in.[/LIST]
As per the maintenance schedule, the spark plugs were due around when I sold it.

Last edited by Shahryar; 12-15-12 at 09:35 PM.