IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 09:02 AM
boosted85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purcahsed 2007 IS250 from Lexus of Carlsbad 3 months ago car is awesome fully love it! Few weeks ago car srated showing signs of carbon build up issues!!! I have been fully stressed about this so I contacted Lexus corporate they had no idea what i was talking about, called lexus carsbad they were even worst telling me its my "idle control spring" I told them are you guys idiots or what? So all day yesterday I have contacted Lexus several Lexus in SOCAL and there all telling me i have to pay the $139 for the inspection fee. This situaion sucks because this is the last thing we should all be worried about owning a LEXUS!
Old 05-07-14, 10:00 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted85
Just purcahsed 2007 IS250 from Lexus of Carlsbad 3 months ago car is awesome fully love it! Few weeks ago car srated showing signs of carbon build up issues!!! I have been fully stressed about this so I contacted Lexus corporate they had no idea what i was talking about, called lexus carsbad they were even worst telling me its my "idle control spring" I told them are you guys idiots or what? So all day yesterday I have contacted Lexus several Lexus in SOCAL and there all telling me i have to pay the $139 for the inspection fee. This situaion sucks because this is the last thing we should all be worried about owning a LEXUS!
The TSB's reference number is L-SB-0068-11. Ask them to look that up and print it out, and if your car is exhibiting the symptoms, they can run tests to see if they can re-create the symptoms. If they can, you should be covered.

I wish it were that easy for me. In Canada the issue is not as widespread and has not been reported as much, so no such TSB has been registered. Which means that if I get the carbon build-up issue, I have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. It's garbage.
Old 05-07-14, 10:24 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this apply to 2012 IS250???
Old 05-07-14, 10:44 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Does this apply to 2012 IS250???
2011+ are not applicable.
Old 05-07-14, 01:06 PM
jetson23
Driver School Candidate

Hello all. First post here. I apologize as I'm sure these questions have been asked, but I recently discovered this board and not sure I'm up for searching through 60+ pages of posts on the subject. I have the rough idle issue, but unfortunately have not been able to get it fixed, so I'm wondering if I have any course of action.

The issue first started in December of 2011. What happened was, I was making a turn at a light, hit the gas to accelerate and the engine started to rumble and sputter, the check engine light came on, and the display showed "Check VSC"(or something like that), and I couldn't go faster than about 30 mph. Got the care home and shut it off, made an appointment at my Lexus dealership for the next day. The next day I brought it in and it ran fine. They did some diagnostics and said something about carbon buildup in the engine that they cleaned out, and added something to my gas tank.

The second time was in December of 2012, and pretty much the exact same symptoms occurred. I shut the car off for a few minutes, restarted it, and drove straight to the dealership. This was not long before the CSP came out about the rough idle issue. I got the letter a week or two after the dealership again checked it out, and called my dealership to ask them about it. They claimed they were doing the testing for the issue, trying to reproduce it. But I was told that since they could not reproduce the issue there, they would not be authorized by Lexus to do the repairs.

Before December of 2011, I had definitely noticed the rough idle when coming to a stop now and then. I have noticed it since then as well. Not often, but it does happen.

I kept thinking I would see the issue again, and the dealership would be able to reproduce it, but that has never happened. However, I have also been reading stuff on here and elsewhere that the reproducing thing isn't necessarily true, and if I have enough of the misfire codes, the dealership should do the repair. So, I have a few questions.

1. Will the misfire codes from the last several years still show up when a tech looks at the vehicle?
2. Should this be enough for the dealership to do the repairs?
3. My dealership is Lexus of Wayzata (Minnesota). Has anyone had this issue repaired there?
4. Is it worth it to find another dealership somewhat nearby to take it to if they have fixed the issue by just finding the misfire codes in the diagnostics?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-07-14, 03:28 PM
farsn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by boosted85
Had my carbon build issue fixed last month. I didn't have to pay any inspection fee. Surprising since it's a recall issue. Everything was covered. Had the full lexus treatment and all.
Old 05-08-14, 04:25 AM
ser3100
Driver School Candidate

Boosted, I highly suggest you take a drive up north to lexus of Cerritos and tell them your car feels sluggish and bogs down once in a while. You can even ask for Debbie C. She was my service advisor. She'll know right away about the problem. We just bought a used is250 one week prior and I started to read up on this website and found the carbon problem. I called Cerritos lexus and told them I just bought a one week old used car with 60k on the ODO and asked if they knew about a carbon buildup issue. She said they would provide me a loaner and thoroughly go over the car including the engine. I was in a loaner for 3 days when they called back saying the engine did indeed misfire and it would be covered under the lexus CSP campaign. 3 days later I get my car (wifes car) back and all is well and im told the engine is actually covered for 9 years unlimited mileage for this issue from the original date of purchase. So basically my engine is covered for at least another 4 years. Way to go Lexus!
Old 05-08-14, 02:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Still putting off having mine done, even though I've already been approved. Want to hear more evidence from people that it actually fixes the rpm problem and doesn't create other problems like lower mpg's, less power, etc...
Old 05-08-14, 03:47 PM
farsn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Still putting off having mine done, even though I've already been approved. Want to hear more evidence from people that it actually fixes the rpm problem and doesn't create other problems like lower mpg's, less power, etc...
From my experience, the repairs has helped with the rpm issue. The car is more responsive from a stop and I haven't experienced the rough idles/bogging issues. The one downfall I have been experiencing is lower mpg's. Nothing too drastic, but noticeable (25 to 24). I had my repair done a month ago.
Old 05-08-14, 04:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Been trouble-free for 16,000 miles...
Old 05-08-14, 06:43 PM
NJLexus13
Pole Position

I just bought a 13 is250 last week... Do I need to worry about this issue?
Old 05-09-14, 04:25 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by NJLexus13
I just bought a 13 is250 last week... Do I need to worry about this issue?
2011+ should be fine, but if you begin to experience similar symptoms, take it to Lexus and get them to note it in the service history just in case.
Old 05-10-14, 09:46 AM
boosted85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
The TSB's reference number is L-SB-0068-11. Ask them to look that up and print it out, and if your car is exhibiting the symptoms, they can run tests to see if they can re-create the symptoms. If they can, you should be covered.

I wish it were that easy for me. In Canada the issue is not as widespread and has not been reported as much, so no such TSB has been registered. Which means that if I get the carbon build-up issue, I have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. It's garbage.
Thanks for the info!! Took my car to LONGO LEXUS in el monte and received help for Mann Wong who has been nothing but great help!! I took my car and knew the issues that us owners were facing, he had rental (2014 IS250) ready for me while they looked at my IS250. The nex day he called me and said there going to do the pistons replacement new oil new coolant all paid for by LEXUS. I am having him replace my cams since it made this rattle during start up Lexus will cover 50% for the cams replacement. Once i get the car back i will be purchasing oil catch can and install it right away! I will keep you guys updated!! Dont give up if other dealers are turning you away! I called 5 dealers in all of SO CAL and was given the run around even Longo but luckly a fellow board member mentioned Mann Wong at LONGO so I called a second time and got all the help I could have possibly asked for!

Last edited by boosted85; 05-10-14 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-12-14, 06:46 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Great news!! Glad to hear it worked out for you
Old 05-12-14, 08:04 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by farsn
From my experience, the repairs has helped with the rpm issue. The car is more responsive from a stop and I haven't experienced the rough idles/bogging issues. The one downfall I have been experiencing is lower mpg's. Nothing too drastic, but noticeable (25 to 24). I had my repair done a month ago.
^ What farsn said. It's been a year since I had the repairs done and I've actually gotten higher MPG. I did initially get lower MPG in the first 2,000 miles or so, but I'm averaging 27.7 MPG now.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP