IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 08-26-13, 08:09 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by graphX250
what type gas are you running?
after piston replacement etc, I have been running at least 89 octane and have not had any shakes or issues...
I've never run anything except premium in the car since I bought it new in 2007...91-93 octane from the good gas stations too. Mine was done April 2012. Search on here and you'll see I'm not the only one that still has this issue occasionally.
Old 08-26-13, 09:08 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by graphX250
what type gas are you running?
after piston replacement etc, I have been running at least 89 octane and have not had any shakes or issues...
That's just wrong,...
Old 08-26-13, 10:43 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in the same boat as is250gurl as well, the dealership found evidence of carbon build up AFTER the repairs were already done. The response back from Lexus was something to the effect of "No further repairs recommended/authorized at this time". Longo Lexus was very helpful though and they really did try to get something else done....they collected detailed data and everything to try and get some sort of resolution.

For what is worth, I only used 91 gas from Chevron or Shell - sometimes Mobil. Was also using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil as well, still had the carbon build up show up shortly after the repairs.

Before I sold my car, I switched to 0w30 (still Mobil 1 full synthetic) and kept using 91 gas from Chevron or Shell and drove the car harder more often and noticed I wasn't experiencing the carbon build up symptoms much. In fact the last 10k miles I don't think I experienced any shaking or odd idle at all. Not saying this is the solution at all, it just happened to work for me. A few people have mentioned driving the car harder has helped.
Old 08-26-13, 10:51 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I was in the same boat as is250gurl as well, the dealership found evidence of carbon build up AFTER the repairs were already done. The response back from Lexus was something to the effect of "No further repairs recommended/authorized at this time". Longo Lexus was very helpful though and they really did try to get something else done....they collected detailed data and everything to try and get some sort of resolution.

For what is worth, I only used 91 gas from Chevron or Shell - sometimes Mobil. Was also using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil as well, still had the carbon build up show up shortly after the repairs.

Before I sold my car, I switched to 0w30 (still Mobil 1 full synthetic) and kept using 91 gas from Chevron or Shell and drove the car harder more often and noticed I wasn't experiencing the carbon build up symptoms much. In fact the last 10k miles I don't think I experienced any shaking or odd idle at all. Not saying this is the solution at all, it just happened to work for me. A few people have mentioned driving the car harder has helped.
Dealership asked if I was interested in looking at the new IS when I went in the other day. I said why would want another direct injection carbon nightmare since I see Lexus didn't change the engine it all? Silence after that and then "well the newer cars have the newer parts." Yes, so do I now and still carbon. No thanks!

Also tried to sell me throttle body and fuel injector cleaning. Hmmmm.....
Old 08-26-13, 10:56 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just took my sisters 250 in to the dealer for this so lets see what they say. If they do approve the repairs I will make her purchase a catch can system to help with the issue.
Old 08-26-13, 11:27 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B16da9
I just took my sisters 250 in to the dealer for this so lets see what they say. If they do approve the repairs I will make her purchase a catch can system to help with the issue.
What year?
Old 08-26-13, 11:39 AM
starknight
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Antredd
I just picked up my vehicle this afternoon from Lexus of Escondido. I brought it in on Monday afternoon. It was ready within their 5 day promise of having those repairs done. My loaner was the new RX 350.

My SA, Adam, told me that they noticed some leaking from my water pump and that it was replaced at no cost (since my vehicle is still under warranty). I have exactly 85,000 miles on my vehicle, and this was the first time I had my water pump changed.

Since I live about 40 miles from Escondido, I got on the 15 fwy north and hit it all the way home. The first thing that I noticed was that my IS runs a whole heck of a lot smoother. It's quieter, especially when I hit some of those steep hills on the 15 Fwy and by my home. Another thing that I noticed was that it has more power.
how does 85,000 miles still under warranty? Crown lexus charges me for the water pump
Old 08-26-13, 12:35 PM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by keyframe13
what year?
Old 08-26-13, 01:02 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is 2010. haven't heard any had that on that year but I wouldn;t be surprised...
Old 08-26-13, 01:53 PM
babee869
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is250gurl
Dealership asked if I was interested in looking at the new IS when I went in the other day. I said why would want another direct injection carbon nightmare since I see Lexus didn't change the engine it all? Silence after that and then "well the newer cars have the newer parts." Yes, so do I now and still carbon. No thanks!

Also tried to sell me throttle body and fuel injector cleaning. Hmmmm.....
I was told by my SA that the powertrain warranty on the IS250 has been upped to 9 years unlimited miles. It also looks like people have posted a picture of the new warranty. That should cover a top engine clean, which should help with the shaking after the pistons have been replaced. I'm just not sure if the shaking will occur when my car at the dealership being looked at or if the system scan can detect the carbon buildup.
Old 08-28-13, 12:27 PM
B16da9
Racer

So the dealer called today about my sisters 250 and guess what "They could not duplicate the problem" and they forced us to pay a $125.00 diagnostic fee. Needless to say I am very upset over this and called Lexus corp about paying for something that is a design flaw by Toyota/Lexus.
Old 08-28-13, 12:33 PM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Yes, call them and complain like I did when this wasn't even a known issue yet. Did they even check the computer to see if if threw any codes?
Old 08-28-13, 12:39 PM
B16da9
Racer

Yes, call them and complain like I did when this wasn't even a known issue yet. Did they even check the computer to see if if threw any codes?
They claimed they did everything per what i printed ( I dont't trust dealers) out but they looked at me with a when I brought the paper out. Also after we paid we had to wait for 30 min before the car was brought out to us which leads me to beleive something is up as the gentleman after us received his GS within minutes after walking out.

I also mentioned to Corp as to how they are going to handle this when IS250 owners have had enough of this issue and get together to form a class action lawsuit.
Old 08-28-13, 12:42 PM
is250gurl
Pole Position

They claimed they did everything per what i printed ( I dont't trust dealers) out but they looked at me with a when I brought the paper out. Also after we paid we had to wait for 30 min before the car was brought out to us which leads me to beleive something is up as the gentleman after us received his GS within minutes after walking out.

I also mentioned to Corp as to how they are going to handle this when IS250 owners have had enough of this issue and get together to form a class action lawsuit.

Any other dealers nearby? That's ridiculous they charged you.
Old 08-28-13, 12:56 PM
B16da9
Racer

Any other dealers nearby? That's ridiculous they charged you.
Took it to Lexus of Kendal, Lexus of west kendal is somewhat near by but they are owned by the same person.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP