IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 08:13 AM
Mark1968
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon build up

I have a 2008 IS250 just had spark plugs done 2 weeks ago and the injector flushed. Now I have multiple miss fire codes. Has anybody has success with just engine flush that clears this problem which is my Toyota dealer recommended or do you need to go deeper to fix problem. What would be the average cost to fix this?
Old 07-10-17, 11:15 AM
heejcho
Driver School Candidate

In regards to Carbon buildup issues, I used SEAFOAM SPRAY (
" title="Amazon" target="_blank">Amazon
Amazon Amazon
) and my car started and ran a lot smoother. I know that it may look shady, but SEAFOAM has been proven to not damage your intake and/or engine and the more you add the more you clean. I am now going to be using SEAFOAM in this car to reduce the carbon buildup issue after every 6 months. My car is at around 129,000 miles and is now running as smooth as ever. I will also be changing all my spark plugs very soon with OEM DENSO IRIDIUM spark plugs. Since you have already done your injector flush, you should take it back to the dealer to see if there is still an actual problem or if they maybe did not clear your computer codes.
Old 01-27-18, 08:23 PM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was searching the site for the Carbon Build up, has ANYONE has any luck in getting Lexus to remedy the situation? My ride has been idling hard at times, where the car feels like it would stall but never does. Since living in CA or moving here a few yrs ago, at one point the car shock as if the road was shaking (earthquake) I had a few codes pop up but then disappear like 3-4 days later. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens. I have a 2010 and 3 years after having the car they did a complete swap of the pistons, orings...etc. but now the problem is baack and worse than before...smh. Anyway let me know if anyone had success....
Old 07-21-18, 01:42 PM
AARONHL
Driver School Candidate

ok I have this issue too now...bought the car with like 95k used 2 years ago has 118k now, noticed intermittent shaking at stop lights since I bought it.
Today I was about 100 miles from home and the check engine light started blinking. Barely had any power up some steep hills.
Got the code read once I was home, it was a P0302 clyinder 2 misfire.
So now we'll see what my fiance wants to do maybe we will sell the car???
I dont see paying for the repair that may come back again.
SUCKS

O and it burns a little oil too
Old 07-24-18, 07:42 PM
AARONHL
Driver School Candidate

OK So have any of you guys had successful trips to the dealership in getting this fixed? Seems like none of them can recreate the problem just to turn you away...or if it was fixed, how soon does the misfire and rough idle come back?
Old 07-26-18, 03:23 PM
zaki21
Driver School Candidate

Default Camshaft sensor

Hi, this is my first post/reply on this forum.
i have an 06 IS250 AWD.
CEL and VSC is on and the code reads: camshaft position sensor B, bank 1.
well I replaced all 3 camshaft sensors and still have the CEL/VSC lights on. Disconnected the battery and I even tried clearing with an OBDII scanner and it wouldn’t clear.
is this part of the carbon buildup issue? Took apart the intake manifold, spark plugs and throttle body and didn’t see any abnormal debris or grime.
Please help!!
Old 07-30-18, 01:35 AM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AARONHL
ok I have this issue too now...bought the car with like 95k used 2 years ago has 118k now, noticed intermittent shaking at stop lights since I bought it.
Today I was about 100 miles from home and the check engine light started blinking. Barely had any power up some steep hills.
Got the code read once I was home, it was a P0302 clyinder 2 misfire.
So now we'll see what my fiance wants to do maybe we will sell the car???
I dont see paying for the repair that may come back again.
SUCKS

O and it burns a little oil too
if your car is burning oil now, the issue def is at a bad level. If im not mistaken the wad enough carbon buildup in there that it has now scratched the cylinder walls and now causing oil to leak in and burn. I have 116k on my IS and about to have a company here in Cali do a wallnut blasting which should clear out the carbon. Lexus wanted $1500 to do a top engine clean which is insane. For an issue that was caused by poor design and nothing we did. We could have bought any other car and never had this issue. I opened a case with Lexus, hoping they have a solution. But if not, I'll go get the engine walnut blasted for $600, new spark plugs and hopefully be good again. Btw, I just picked up my car from Lexus 2 days ago. It was in there for the airbag recall, and I paid them $199 for a diagnosis which Lexus Care informed me I had to pay in order to start a case, uughhh. Well fingers crossed. Still love my IS, aaannnndddd Lexus. Some dealerships though are horrendous. Btw whatever you do with your whip, good luck. I also thought of possibly selling mine BUT I dont feel like starting with new payments again. Bllahh...

Last edited by pewterss; 07-30-18 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 03:58 AM
Lalvarezz
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus refuses to pay for their error

My IS 250 2008 with 80,000 miles is now having this issue, and Lexus does not want to cover the repairs at the dealership, charging me $8k to fix it. Is anybody else in this situation?
Old 09-13-18, 04:01 AM
Lalvarezz
Driver School Candidate

Default Class action lawsuit?

Originally Posted by rogers2
Final results from Lexus Customer service.
I was just informed Lexus has decide to pay 50% of the cost to repair my vehicle. 20 days beyond the 9 year warranty and they only want pay 50% of the bill.
As of today, at least to me. Lexus is just another car company.... Good luck to everyone with a 06 - 10 IS250. If I was you I would get rid of the car asap.
I’m in the same boat, we should think about a class action lawsuit.
Old 09-13-18, 05:49 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterss
if your car is burning oil now, the issue def is at a bad level. If im not mistaken the wad enough carbon buildup in there that it has now scratched the cylinder walls and now causing oil to leak in and burn. I have 116k on my IS and about to have a company here in Cali do a wallnut blasting which should clear out the carbon. Lexus wanted $1500 to do a top engine clean which is insane. For an issue that was caused by poor design and nothing we did. We could have bought any other car and never had this issue. I opened a case with Lexus, hoping they have a solution. But if not, I'll go get the engine walnut blasted for $600, new spark plugs and hopefully be good again. Btw, I just picked up my car from Lexus 2 days ago. It was in there for the airbag recall, and I paid them $199 for a diagnosis which Lexus Care informed me I had to pay in order to start a case, uughhh. Well fingers crossed. Still love my IS, aaannnndddd Lexus. Some dealerships though are horrendous. Btw whatever you do with your whip, good luck. I also thought of possibly selling mine BUT I dont feel like starting with new payments again. Bllahh...
Plenty of other cars have this issue, some are just worse than others. Realistically, this is a potential problem with all direct-injection engines, its just that some manufacturers have now integrated ways to mitigate or delay this issue (improved PCV oil separators, dual injection, etc.).
Old 06-03-19, 07:00 AM
SmoothRedd
Driver School Candidate

Default Walnut blasting

Originally Posted by HankMoody
Mr fix, this is the best home remedy one can do without taking the upper intake off and physically cleaning the valves. All the people claiming fuel injector cleaner is helping have no idea how the pcv or direct injection works. You guys should see what the BMW guys do to fix this issue every 30-40k miles. Look up *walnut blasting*
Is ANYONE aware of who does the Walnut Blasting service in Nebraska ? The Lexus dealership here in Nebraska doesn't , and I called the BMW dealership who does the blasting but not for Lexus. I have a 2006 IS250 .
Thanks in advance !
Old 05-20-20, 01:00 PM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow this thread fell off? Figured this is an ongoing issue for people. I have a 2006, second hand but Lexus confirmed the piston and ring replacement was done some time ago with the previous owner. The problem seems to have returned (all the typical symptoms - very rough almost stalling out idle when coming to a stop (random), once it completely died while crossing a street then resumed running (like when you use a hill to jump start a manual car) and have P0300, P0303 and P0304). I have been running a catch can.

I am not convinced the "fix" really fixes it, maybe it stretches carbon build up that effects engine operation go from about 60K to 140K or something, but its not a fix.

Anyone know of a walnut blasting place in SoCal? I'm thinking of not even d*cking with Lexus and just fronting getting the intake cleaned and then I'm going to vent to atmosphere.
Old 05-20-20, 01:06 PM
heejcho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Token1
Wow this thread fell off? Figured this is an ongoing issue for people. I have a 2006, second hand but Lexus confirmed the piston and ring replacement was done some time ago with the previous owner. The problem seems to have returned (all the typical symptoms - very rough almost stalling out idle when coming to a stop (random), once it completely died while crossing a street then resumed running (like when you use a hill to jump start a manual car) and have P0300, P0303 and P0304). I have been running a catch can.

I am not convinced the "fix" really fixes it, maybe it stretches carbon build up that effects engine operation go from about 60K to 140K or something, but its not a fix.

Anyone know of a walnut blasting place in SoCal? I'm thinking of not even d*cking with Lexus and just fronting getting the intake cleaned and then I'm going to vent to atmosphere.
You should try getting a quote from lexology. They're in Hermosa Beach, CA and have been working on Lexus and Toyota vehicles for a very long time. I would go to them for any serious mechanical issue for any Lexus as they have quotes that are very competitive and sometimes the quoted price may be higher than the actual amount they will charge you. I paid around $400-$500 for a deep cleaning of my intake valves which were never touched by a mechanic before. I had used Seafoam and other solvents but I finally bit the bullet and went to Lexology and have been very happy since acquiring their service. Hope this helped some
Old 05-20-20, 03:22 PM
J2FUEGO
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My 07 IS250 has been having this issue for 2 years now. It started with the nasty rotten egg smell & then escalated to excessive oil burning. Over the past years I've removed my throttle body twice & cleaned it. Changed the spark plugs at 140K. More frequent oil changes (every 2-3K or every 2 months) also using LUCAS SYNTHETIC OIL STABILIZER (which REALLY HELPS). Have seafoamed it & used gumout cleaner countless times... but these temporary treatments only helped for maybe a week or two max before the smell & other small issues came back. Lately for the past 6 months maybe, I've been using the gumout cleaner in my oil (VERY LITTLE) & the lucas oil stabilizer during oil changes & also driving with the "Power Mode" & WOT-ting everywhere, and its been helping a lot, not sure the science behind it, but have not been smelling the rotten egg smell nor any rough idling lately.. I changed out the PCV Vavle when servicing my transmission & I thought that FIXED everything but it only temporarily got rid of the smell, for maybe 2 weeks & the smell eventually found its way back.

So all in all, you will have to keep fighting it constantly as mentioned many times above. My 250 is my daily so I am no longer really putting any money into it, so I wont be wasting 400 - 700 on any cleaning anytime soon but those of you whom really love their 250 & still have low miles should maybe really consider getting it professionally cleaned & then try to regularly use seafoam or other means of cleaning to upkeep it.

LUCAS OIL STABILIZER has done me wonders to prevent that excessive oil burning, I usually make it the whole 3 months or 5K miles before having to due an oil change. I sometimes have to add a quart of oil after a month once it burns through the oil stabilizer I assume.

Anyways, thats my rant, hope maybe it helps somebody. Hope your situation is not as much as a headache as mine has been. Good luck going forward everyone.
The following users liked this post:
smitty2919 (11-27-23)
Old 05-21-20, 05:31 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

From my understanding, carbon build-up is a fundamental design flaw of Direct Inject tech. I had an 08 that I owned up until mid-2015, and never had any issues. Never had to use any oil additives or fuel treatments because I used full synthetic oil and fueled with top tier gas. Probably most importantly, my daily commute guaranteed that the engine always got warm enough to burn off excess blowby. It definitely also helps to put it through its paces every once in a while.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP