IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 09-22-12, 07:00 PM
ghwanee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks diagtime. That was actually a very clear explanation of this problem. Well I currently do have AWD and I don't fee lthat much vibration. I have an 08 IS 250 AWD and I feel as it's okay but just some misfires while ideling lately that seems to have started within last month. I am bringing the car in for other reasons so I was thinking why not just mention it so they have in on record. But since I have 9 years, I believe I would be safe.
Old 09-23-12, 09:48 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got my letter. 2006 IS250.
Old 09-23-12, 10:51 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another reason why I love Lexus' customer satisfaction/service! Not only do they address the issue, but give you piece of mind by extending the power-train warranty. Let's see the European car-makers try and top that...
Old 09-23-12, 01:19 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Another reason why I love Lexus' customer satisfaction/service! Not only do they address the issue, but give you piece of mind by extending the power-train warranty. Let's see the European car-makers try and top that...
They don't have a powertrain warranty that good to begin with. And something about powertrain warranty that most people don't realize.........what's covered. You'll see some cheaper car brands with really long powertrain warranties. The thing is, those warranties may only cover internal metal trans and engine parts. No water pumps, fuel pumps, fuel injectors, wheel bearings, etc. Lexus powertrain warranty is really really good.

And about customer satisfaction.......Lexus knows that when you get the CSP done they will probably be taking a loss on the sale of your vehicle. It's very very expensive. And they're doing it anyways.
Old 09-23-12, 01:28 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

good news for the 250 owners. Another example of Lexus taking care of their customers.
Old 09-23-12, 08:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Originally Posted by diagtime
They don't have a powertrain warranty that good to begin with. And something about powertrain warranty that most people don't realize.........what's covered. You'll see some cheaper car brands with really long powertrain warranties. The thing is, those warranties may only cover internal metal trans and engine parts. No water pumps, fuel pumps, fuel injectors, wheel bearings, etc. Lexus powertrain warranty is really really good.

And about customer satisfaction.......Lexus knows that when you get the CSP done they will probably be taking a loss on the sale of your vehicle. It's very very expensive. And they're doing it anyways.
Important note here: This does NOT extend the power-train warranty.

This only covers any carbon-build up related issues for 9yrs/unlimited miles. Nothing else (transmission, other unrelated engine parts, etc) is going to be covered.
Old 09-23-12, 09:49 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Important note here: This does NOT extend the power-train warranty.

This only covers any carbon-build up related issues for 9yrs/unlimited miles. Nothing else (transmission, other unrelated engine parts, etc) is going to be covered.
Yes, true. If you have a non carbon/oil consumption related powertrain issue, bring your vehicle in before warranty expires.
Old 09-24-12, 01:17 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

so i posted this question in tsb thread but no one seems to be answering..
i went to the dealership the other day and told them about the rough engine idle and they said they couldnt do anything unless there was an error code was stored in the system.. then someone said that theres a way to try and get this error code to come up? its annoying because i know theres a problem and they wont do anything to solve it until they see it for themselves.
Old 09-24-12, 01:35 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
so i posted this question in tsb thread but no one seems to be answering..
i went to the dealership the other day and told them about the rough engine idle and they said they couldnt do anything unless there was an error code was stored in the system.. then someone said that theres a way to try and get this error code to come up? its annoying because i know theres a problem and they wont do anything to solve it until they see it for themselves.
To my knowledge, the quickest way to replicate this problem is to accelerate to at least 3rd gear and come to a quick stop. If you have carbon build-up, the car would start vibrating and it would seem like it's about to stall.
Old 09-24-12, 01:39 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ happens to me once in while...that's a good way to reproduce the symptom. Also, you want to turn the fan/AC on too.

I couldn't get any Error Codes or CEL on my, so the dealer pretty much won't touch it.

Still waiting if to see if I'll get that letter from Lexus. Do we have to bring it in to dealer first for the carbon build-up in order to get that letter?
Old 09-24-12, 01:40 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by nitrotang
To my knowledge, the quickest way to replicate this problem is to accelerate to at least 3rd gear and come to a quick stop. If you have carbon build-up, the car would start vibrating and it would seem like it's about to stall.
i do get the stalling but not long enough to get any error codes....
will this produce an error code?
Old 09-24-12, 01:46 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info...now I need to DRIVE MORE! LOL
Old 09-24-12, 01:51 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

I just tried to get this done at a local lexus dealer if their are no misfire codes they will not do the job period. And even if it shows bad signs of this and it doesn't have the trouble codes they are looking for they will not to the job just FYI. My service advisor is currently dealing with problem like this and some are getting fixed and some just cannot cuz of no misfire codes.
Old 09-24-12, 01:52 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shadowman
^^^ happens to me once in while...that's a good way to reproduce the symptom. Also, you want to turn the fan/AC on too.

I couldn't get any Error Codes or CEL on my, so the dealer pretty much won't touch it.

Still waiting if to see if I'll get that letter from Lexus. Do we have to bring it in to dealer first for the carbon build-up in order to get that letter?
I mentioned it once when I brought it in to a dealer when I had my spark plug service, but I don't think they recorded/documented what I mentioned. I'm not entirely sure how they determine who to send it out to, but I think all 2006-2010 IS250 owners on file should be sent a letter. If not, I've attached a copy of my letter on the second page of this thread for reference.

Last edited by nitrotang; 09-24-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-24-12, 02:00 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
i do get the stalling but not long enough to get any error codes....
will this produce an error code?
I never got any misfire error codes as well, even though I experienced the symptoms. But when I picked up my car back in February after leaving it at an autobody shop for some work, they somehow caused it to misfire and store 3 of the 6 misfire codes possible by just starting up. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this carbon-build up issue and had them clear the codes instead of bringing it to a Lexus dealer.

I still have an email of the codes they sent me; not sure if that's enough proof to the dealer though. When I asked the body shop what could be the cause of the misfire from just starting up, they said that whoever was bringing my car out from the back accidentally hit the START/STOP button twice too many times; I guess the person didn't know you just pushed the button once to start it up? Somehow it caused a misfire. Maybe that's another way to pull up the misfire codes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP