IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 11-06-12, 05:13 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt get any letter from them yet, what can i do?
Old 11-07-12, 07:19 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone post the letter? Thanks!
Old 11-07-12, 08:38 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
I had couple of rough idle but no code or anything shows up on the dash board...I do have a couple of videos...I've called the dealership today and said they'll run the test and see if I qualify...if I do..they'll order the parts and ill take about 4 weeks to get it.. the probelm is if I don't qualify..what now?
they'll likely do a top-engine cleaning and send you on your way, assuming you've been loyal to servicing your car at the dealer and/or have been a loyal/repeated lexus customer. the videos should suffice, though, for at least a top-engine cleaning, i would think.
Old 11-07-12, 02:57 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

So i have check engine light, vsc, traction off for about 2 days and got it checked out. My shop told me that it was a misfired, can I contact my dealership even thought I haven't gotten the letter? I don't want to bring it there on maintenance and be charged for a lot of stuff.
Just wondering are these maintenance free? For example to get the car checked out to see the problems and I can have my shop do it.
Old 11-07-12, 03:19 PM
sgmbab
Driver

Originally Posted by trixxx519
So i have check engine light, vsc, traction off for about 2 days and got it checked out. My shop told me that it was a misfired, can I contact my dealership even thought I haven't gotten the letter? I don't want to bring it there on maintenance and be charged for a lot of stuff.
Just wondering are these maintenance free? For example to get the car checked out to see the problems and I can have my shop do it.
I didn't have the letter and i took it in and got it taken care of no charge. But you should mention that you want them to take a look at this carbon build warranty specifically so they don't charge you. Just got my car back today and its almost like driving a new car imo, acceleration is much more responsive and most of all no vibrations.
Old 11-07-12, 03:23 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

^ I dont have warranty anymore, but this carbon buildup is still under cover right? So its free of charge for them to look a look at this carbon buildup issue?
Old 11-07-12, 03:27 PM
sgmbab
Driver

^ I dont have warranty anymore, but this carbon buildup is still under cover right? So its free of charge for them to look a look at this carbon buildup issue?
The warranty is 9 years unlimited miles from your in service date (look at your vehicle delivery certificate) so yes, it should be free. Here is the job descriptions.
Attached Thumbnails IS250 Carbon Build up CSP-photo.jpg  

Last edited by sgmbab; 11-08-12 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-07-12, 04:24 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

^thanks a lot I'm going to call them this coming weekend, cant drive in the snow with traction off
Old 11-07-12, 04:53 PM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

mine is an 07' They cleaned the top engine twice. Still having some issues and brought it in a few times, but no codes were stored. going to see if they can now do the pistons!
Old 11-07-12, 08:19 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^thanks a lot I'm going to call them this coming weekend, cant drive in the snow with traction off
yes bring it in. this csp is specifically for people in your situation. you will need to make sure you spark plugs were replaced with the correct type within the last 60k. if you don't know, your dealer should check that.

and by the way....all those zeroed out prices on the receipt picture.....they add up to more than 7,000. just don't forget that just about no other car company would do something like that. they certainly did not have to.
Old 11-07-12, 08:22 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chris07is
I had couple of rough idle but no code or anything shows up on the dash board...I do have a couple of videos...I've called the dealership today and said they'll run the test and see if I qualify...if I do..they'll order the parts and ill take about 4 weeks to get it.. the probelm is if I don't qualify..what now?
what now if you don't qualify?? well then you got around 4 more years for the real problem to surface.

saying rough idle could mean anything. you seem to know your car so i'm guessing when you say rough idle it's for real. wouldn't be surprised if your engine is authorized for rebuild with pistons. if not.....you got time. don't worry.
Old 11-07-12, 10:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

So I have the nasty rough idle that relates to the carbon build up. However, I've been getting a new/different rough idle NOT related. Thought I'd check in with this thread to see if someone can ID it.

When coming to a stop, like while still moving at about 7 to 5 mph, the car idles rough, then becomes smooth again once at a complete stop. This is NOT the same rough idle this thread is about, which kicks on when COMPLETELY stopped and the rpm's dip and the car almost stalls. I repeat, this is NOT that. This occurs before the car is stopped, and not as severe. Interestingly, my past Audi A4 1.8T did the exact same rough idle while coming to a stop. On that, the dealer reprogrammed something to help.

Anyone experience the same thing? I'm dreading the day I take it in to describe the new rough idle, all the while still working on a case with the dealer for the original carbon build up problem. I don't think they'll have the ability to differentiate the two issues.

Thanks for any info...
Old 11-08-12, 09:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got the call from the dealer--they are going ahead with the repair. 5 working days.
Old 11-09-12, 09:02 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
So I have the nasty rough idle that relates to the carbon build up. However, I've been getting a new/different rough idle NOT related. Thought I'd check in with this thread to see if someone can ID it.

When coming to a stop, like while still moving at about 7 to 5 mph, the car idles rough, then becomes smooth again once at a complete stop. This is NOT the same rough idle this thread is about, which kicks on when COMPLETELY stopped and the rpm's dip and the car almost stalls. I repeat, this is NOT that. This occurs before the car is stopped, and not as severe. Interestingly, my past Audi A4 1.8T did the exact same rough idle while coming to a stop. On that, the dealer reprogrammed something to help.

Anyone experience the same thing? I'm dreading the day I take it in to describe the new rough idle, all the while still working on a case with the dealer for the original carbon build up problem. I don't think they'll have the ability to differentiate the two issues.

Thanks for any info...
how many miles? how is your trans shifting? is it shifting rough? when it does the rough idle coming to a stop.......when you actually come to a stop put it in ECT SNOW. if it stalls or gets rough....you have a trans issue.
Old 11-09-12, 09:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
how many miles? how is your trans shifting? is it shifting rough? when it does the rough idle coming to a stop.......when you actually come to a stop put it in ECT SNOW. if it stalls or gets rough....you have a trans issue.
Trans shifts fine at all times. Tried the ETC snow and it made no difference. The roughness happens just before coming to a stop. Should also mention it doesn't happen every time. Maybe about 5-10% of the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP